Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New guy with Honda issues.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with Honda issues.

Hey everyone. let me introduce myself first.
I'm located in Blacksburg, VA. I go to school there.
Drive a '95 240SX which I've had for a little over a year now.
Right now I'm in New Jersey for the next two weeks visiting my mom and sister.
My mom has a '00 Civic LX (auto), D16Y7 motor I believe.

Anyway, my mom doesn't know much, or anything at all, about cars and the car has not been maintained properly for the past 4-5years.
I did the usual stuff: SeaFoam, oil/filter, air filter (the original one was still in there, yuck), plugs, and cleaned out the TB. Wires and new fuel filter are on the way.
After all that I seem to have regained a good bit of power, car revs much smoother than before and doesn't struggle as much.
Today I noticed something strange. At idle, the rpm seems just a tad too low causing the car to vibrate kind of weirld.
Also, when I put the car in reverse and let it roll back, the rpms dropped severly and seemed like it was about to stall.
I have no idea what would have caused that. It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction to fix this.

Also, there is one more issue with the car.
When the car upshifts, it shifts very hard. It makes a pretty loud clunk and you can feel the car jerk. I'm wondering if I could just do a quick fix for now and throw in some Lucas auto tranny additive or something of the like, or if a complete flush and refill is needed. Hopefully the tranny isn't trying to die one me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Electrician

Well, first off, welcome to Honda-Tech.

Have you checked the condition of any of the sensors like the MAP and TPS sensor? Maybe they need a good cleaning.

Is the ECU throwing a CEL?

As far as the transmission, all automatic transmissions until 2000 have this slight "problem", but it really isn't a problem. They all shift a bit rough, it's been the same in all automatic Hondas that I've been in. They are built that way to lessen the chance of "slippage" during shifts. Definitely drain the transmission fluid and top it off.

Go from there.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the transmission, all automatic transmissions until 2000 have this slight "problem", but it really isn't a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard the same from multiple sources, and even my Honda service department. I would give it a tranny flush, and call it a day. It may help, but I'm sure it needs it anyway.

Great first post, BTW, hope you stick around

Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

Deemeetree;
No, I do not have a CEL.
Could you please direct me to the location of the MAP sensor?
And would you clean the MAP just like you would a MAF? I know the differences in the way they work, but am not familiar with the MAP system.

AutoXer;
I've been browsing this forum on and off for a little while now. Just haven't registered till today.
I probably will come on and post once in a while, but I know just about nothing about Hondas so there probably will not be too much information flowing from me.
I spend most of my forum time on 240sxforums.com

oh, do you guys recommend any specific tranny fluid?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Electrician

They look like this:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=911270

Both of them.

You could also check your IACV TPS sensors and make sure they are connected, and nothing interfering with them. You might also want to check if any of the vacuum lines might of been disconnected and/or clogged.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ConceptS14)

The rough idle seems to be kind of common with these small I-4 motors. I tried to find problems with my D16Y8 that woudl cause a low ide (fuel filter, clogged injector, vacuum leak, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It still had that wierd stumble. I finally just upped the idle screw a few turns and it cured that problem. Idles around 700rpm, was at 500rpm.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They look like this:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=911270

Both of them.

You could also check your IACV TPS sensors and make sure they are connected, and nothing interfering with them. You might also want to check if any of the vacuum lines might of been disconnected and/or clogged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, that helps a good bit.

Everything seems to be connected.
After this morning I took the car out for a drive again but did not seem to have any of the symptoms I mentioned above.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rough idle seems to be kind of common with these small I-4 motors. I tried to find problems with my D16Y8 that woudl cause a low ide (fuel filter, clogged injector, vacuum leak, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It still had that wierd stumble. I finally just upped the idle screw a few turns and it cured that problem. Idles around 700rpm, was at 500rpm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was considering just adjusting the idle, but did not want to do simple patch that may just mask a bigger problem.

It may also just be the fuel filter, as it probably has not been changed in 56K miles, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same and what they had to say about it.

Thanks for all your quick replies, you guys have been great!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Electrician

Do a complete tune-up first, then check if the problem persists.

Change:

Spark plugs (NGK)
Ignition wires (OEM Honda)
Fuel filter (OEM Honda)
Thermostat (OEM Honda)
Air filter (K&N Drop-In)
Cap and rotor (OEM Honda)

Use some Seafoam and clean out the piston tops and injectors.

This link for Seafoam:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1016891

Clean all connections of all sensors on the inake manifold. Check for any cloggage on any vacuum lines running to and from the intake manifold.

You might also want to check out the timing. Timing tends to fluctuate the idle at times.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do a complete tune-up first, then check if the problem persists.

Change:

Spark plugs (NGK)
Ignition wires (OEM Honda)
Fuel filter (OEM Honda)
Thermostat (OEM Honda)
Air filter (K&N Drop-In)
Cap and rotor (OEM Honda)

Use some Seafoam and clean out the piston tops and injectors.

This link for Seafoam:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1016891

Clean all connections of all sensors on the inake manifold. Check for any cloggage on any vacuum lines running to and from the intake manifold.

You might also want to check out the timing. Timing tends to fluctuate the idle at times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ConceptS14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I did the usual stuff: SeaFoam, oil/filter, air filter (the original one was still in there, yuck), plugs, and cleaned out the TB. Wires and new fuel filter are on the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^first post.

done::
SeaFoam : Ran in vac line, gas tank and crank case 200miles before oil change.
Oil Filter : Purolator
Air Filter : Purolator
Plugs : NGK

comming in the mail::
Wires : NGK
Fuel Filter : Fram/Purolator? can't remember which one i ordered.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Electrician

My bad, forgot what you posted on the 1st post.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had the same issue, idle was bit rough, and the car wanted to die when i put it in any gear but park and neutral. i tried adjusting the idle, searching for vaccuum leaks, adjusting the throttle position cable that goes to the tranny, etc.

what finally fixed my issued: valves. once the valve lash was adjusted correctly, it went away. it took me a good 3 times of adjusting them to get it right, i kept doing them too tight. once i backed them off a bit the car ran great.

this may not be the issue, but this is what fixed my problem with the same symptoms!

edit: with a tranny flush, my harsh shifting went away, btw.