Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Axles and Now Vibration Under Acceleration (PLEASE HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Axles and Now Vibration Under Acceleration (PLEASE HELP!!)

Let me start off with....sorry this is a long one. I have ran out of options. I have a '92 Civic HB Si with a B16A swap that has been in there for almost two years with the axles it came with.

This all started with the fact that I needed new Axles and had a bad driver's front wheel stud. I had never done a wheel stud before but I looked into it. I changed the wheel stud by taking the brake caliper and disc off. Then I cut the bad one in half with an angle grinder....popping it out and putting a new one in that I ground down an edge and froze over night. It went in nice....but I did hammer it while spinning a nut to make the stud seat completely. Didn't seem to be a big deal. Put a new axle in on both sides (O'Reilly-Kragen brand new axles for a GSR). Then I went to the rear and put a brand new Benen lower tie bar on with the new bolts I had to buy for the extra thickness of the Benen bar.

So I test drove it and felt a vibration under acceleration up to about 40mph. It always did it when I rev it up fast to 40mph. Sometimes it does it under normal acceleration too (up to 40mph but smooth after that). Felt like the driver's side to the center. I could hear the stuff in my door pocket rattling on driver's side. It reminded me of a shimmy you get with bad shocks on a launch....just much less intense. Almost an up/down motion...but this is just my best assessment.

I jacked it up and checked for play in the wheel. Nothing. Then I checked the bolts that I remember tightening well in the first place....no problems (was hoping it was just a loose nut!). I got under it and looked at where the driver's axle connects to the half-shaft. It was out about a 1/4" (maybe less) but I slide it and it seated in but I could also slide it back out a 1/4" pretty easy too. I then checked it from the top when the wheels were on the ground and it didn't move at all. Passenger side didn't move at all. I don't know if this is normal and I have never had a problem when I have put axles in (done it on my hatch 4 times). No vibrations or anything. So I never checked for play in the axles.

I googled around and my car's symptoms seems to usually be a loose bolt or bad axles. But my bolts have been checked and my axles are brand new. I also took a pry bar to the various suspension parts and don't feel any play there either.

I do have old KYB shocks but have rolled on really bad shocks before. I think I would hear some noise or vibrate all the time if the wheel hub bearing was bad from my hammering on the wheel stud (3 friends have thought the same). It doesn't do it at constant speeds or in neutral. My alignment is pulling a little left...wasn't sure but I talked to a tech at a alignment shop and he doesn't think its that.

It can't be the new lower tie bar??? I googled it and found no threads related to the rear lower tie bar. I am tempted to take it off but I kinda feel stupid thinking its the problem.

Maybe get a new axle from O'Rielly??

I wonder if it matters if the axles are for ABS or not? I am not ABS

Or the Mid-shaft?? Seals??

ANY OTHER IDEAS??? Hopefully someone can help me out....I'm getting irritated and (for the 1st time) thinking of selling the car I've had since '96
Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Axles and Now Vibration Under Acceleration (PLEASE HELP!!)

Aftermarket axles often have this problem. Try getting a different axle.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheep axles do this, it's not new. Actaully there are a lot of people that have this issue.

If your car is none ABS, you can use either axle and it will work just fine.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As said this is a common problem when replacing axles. Many autoparts stors have a wide range of "new" remanufactured axles depending on the level of the rebuild you end up with units that have been cleaned and relubed to complete new inner and outer assy. It can be hit or miss and you will just have to narrow it down to wich side and replace it again.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to put new axles in my wife's 1998 Civic LX w/auto trans.

I was planning to buy the parts from my favorite online parts retailer. They list a "Cardone" brand thats supposed to be brand new. Can anyone comment on these axles? Will they be okay or should I look for a different supplier? They cost about $50 apiece.

I don't really want to do it twice, so purchasing the correct parts the first time around would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this same EXACT problem for over 3 months now with my 96' Dx with a b18b. I still haven't figured out the issue.

I work at Advance Auto Parts and I put new Auto Zone axles in with the swap b/c I got them for free. (3 months ago, vibration started after swap) Then I replaced the driver side a week after that with a "new" Advance GSP axle and still does it. I know these axles are hit or miss, and sometimes they even come with the wrong amount of splines or wrong end, male/female lol.

Now that I read this thread, I'm gonna go with what my original gut feeling was, which was a defective axle. Hope this helps the OP narrow his options down.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I replaced it and it still vibrates!!! I am pissed off! Can it be another bad one? Maybe its the wrong part? Can't be. I saw it on the computer screen at O'Reilly's. Any 94-01 B-series should be fine. I got the same exact one and put it in today. No dice.

My dad thinks its the lower tie bar in the REAR. I am not too sure about that. Seems like a waste......???
Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't read the last few posts, but ya. A lot of aftermarket axles are giving people hell. I remember in another thread, the guy kept replacing them until finally he got a set that were right. He had a set that literally just broke in half too. I think he replaced 'em about 4 times. F-ing ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are all these aftermarket axles bad b/c its too long for my hatch???
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go into AUTOZONE an throw a bitch fit.....i end up going home feeling better doesnt really help the car
Old 11-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called O'Reilly and calmly explained/bitched. They are letting me return all three and I am going to Reibes to buy a new set. I bought from them before for my B18B1 swap I had and never had a problem.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New axles from different company and still vibrating. Gonna take that rear lower tie bar off and try it. My dad thinks its the fix. If it is the fix.....I will never live it down. But if (when) it doesn't fix it....I guess I live with it or take it to a shop to have the hub bearings/steering checked out. I guess it wouldn't hurt to put new bushing in. But I have relatively new lower ball joints and steering tie rods (last summer)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone thinks its the transmission. I am not sure on what the problem is. I am thinking maybe the half-shaft b/c the vibration is on the driver's side. But I jacked it up and ran it in first gear to look for movement/etc. I saw nothing. I am totally stumped.....the bushing on the tie rod (steering) looks a little dis-formed....but its pretty new. guess I'll take that rear tie bar off now.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Passenger axle popped out from the transmission! Tranny fluid around it and everything. I am 100% sure it was seated all the way in before. I popped it back in on the side of a dirt road.....eff! Luckily I was able to get someone to bring me a jack and stands so I could look under it. I was able to get it back in a seated. This is something on the other side of the car! I don't know what the hell is going on now. Could be the bearings at the transmission or something else.......I just want to figure out whats wrong so I can fix it!

Drove about 40 miles home.....crossing my fingers the whole time. It was either get it home or keep it at my parents (out of town) and have my dad take it to a shop in his town or get it home and take it to a shop myself.

Gonna tell the transmission shop what I've done and see what they say. If its too pricey and it is something with the transmission; I'll probably get another transmission.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't even need to jack the car up to get the axles seated again. They don't normally come all the way out of the transmission, you can just use a 2x4 or similar object to pop them back in, use the top of the shock tower as fulcrum and give the 2x4 a quick snap and they'll pop right in.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On another note i would just take the axles out throw them in the garbage, walk to the honda dealership and buy OEM. I had the same problem when I first did my H swap and I thought it was from axle bind, but it was from cheap autozone axles. as soon as I swaped them out for oem the vibration was gone.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Starting to think it might be the hub bearing from when I put the new wheel stud in. I am lost......
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a thought... but could your wheels/rims be out of balance?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cynical 1
just a thought... but could your wheels/rims be out of balance?
ok is your car lowered at all?? and how are the axel seals do they leak?? cause if your car is to low it can cause the axels to shimmy and vibrate,and if or when yu hit a pot hole it jams the axel and can bend it slightly where the splines are i had to adjust my ride height cause i had the shimmy when i hit the gas hard from all the torque and if the axels seals go bad your fluid can leak out and cause vibration and damage to the tranny again causing it to have the vibration i had it happen hope this helps
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car has been lowered over 2 inches since 1996 (when I bought it) Everything was fine until I swapped axles and hammered out/in a wheel stud. I have put 3 "new" axles on the driver's side in the last week and 2 on the passenger side. Fixed the passenger side popping out situation by putting the O'Reilly's axle back in.

I thought about the wheel losing a weight and being out of balance when I did the work but I looked all over the driveway and found nothing. Plus I figure it would vibrate all the time....not just under a load.

Gonna get a new hub/bearing assembly. If its still there....I will try the mid shaft and if its still effed up....I guess its the transmission???????
Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder whether only new Honda axles will eliminate the vibration. This is just a wild guess that would be prohibitively expensive to test.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i work at a local auto shop in town here and i have put in TONS of honda axel both NEW and Reman. are Parts house sells cardone axel shafts and i can say i have only seen this twice and it turn out the other mechanic had not pushed the axel all the way into the trans on the first one the other was when the mid shaft bolts were lose on the block

also make sure you have all the nuts and bolts torqued

axle Nut 180~190 Ft Lbs
Lugs 75 Ft Lbs
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Solster
i work at a local auto shop in town here and i have put in TONS of honda axel both NEW and Reman. are Parts house sells cardone axel shafts and i can say i have only seen this twice and it turn out the other mechanic had not pushed the axel all the way into the trans on the first one the other was when the mid shaft bolts were lose on the block
I've noticed that most aftermarket axles lack the dampers that Honda axles have. Do you think the lack of dampers makes aftermarket axles more prone to vibration?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just thought of this but haven't seen it in a While

if you still have the factory retaining screews for the rotors on your car make sure there flush with the brake rotor or it will make the car vib under load.

wel that was how i fixed it on my 89 Teg i had
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel that there is more wear on the trans out put bearings from not having the dampers but i have not seen any other signs there needed.

i used Napa New axel when i did my car just cuz thay came with the dampers.

Quick Reply: New Axles and Now Vibration Under Acceleration (PLEASE HELP!!)