Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some advice on a swap for my ej2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a swap for my ej2

Hey guys new to the swapping game . Ive been googling and doing some research and i cant decide between a B16 or a GSR . I have a 93 Ej2 with a stock d15b7 and i want to swap it out . I'm looking for a good dd and also something with good power . Money isn't really an issue as I will be saving up for the swap .

But the most important thing is I want to be able to reff the the swap . So it has to be a obd1 .

Also will I need the whole complete change over from HMO or would I just need the engine , tranny , ecu and harness?

Thanks guys appreciate any little help .

Last edited by Achroth; 06-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need some advice on a swap for my ej2

Originally Posted by Achroth
Hey guys new to the swapping game
I'm looking for a good dd and also something with good power if someone wants to pull up and race I can take them out.
....really?

For someone new to this, make life easy on yourself and get a obd1 b16 complete changeover. Motor needs to be yr of car or newer. And you will need to retain all the original factory equipment that is smog/emissions related. Dont know too much about california ways.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can't go wrong with either motor, there both complete drop in just make sure you have complete long block, tranny, axle, obd1 ecu, the harness is not necessary unless your using obd2 alternator and injector.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1
you can't go wrong with either motor, there both complete drop in just make sure you have complete long block, tranny, axle, obd1 ecu, the harness is not necessary unless your using obd2 alternator and injector.
This is misleading. For a D equipped Civic B family motors are not a "complete drop in". You will need the correct mounts, correct exhaust manifold, you will need to adjust the wiring harness for length and add support for IAB (GSR only), VTEC solenoid, and distributor. You will need the correct OBD1 P72 ECU which will again require modification at the harness to plug into and work with your civic.

Assuming you do all that correctly you will need to have the Civic inspected by a BAR Ref for your BAR sticker so you can legally drive it on California roads.

Note: I disregarded your B16 aspirations outright. If your options are B16A or B18C, you should get the B18C
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
This is misleading. For a D equipped Civic B family motors are not a "complete drop in". You will need the correct mounts, correct exhaust manifold, you will need to adjust the wiring harness for length and add support for IAB (GSR only), VTEC solenoid, and distributor. You will need the correct OBD1 P72 ECU which will again require modification at the harness to plug into and work with your civic.

Assuming you do all that correctly you will need to have the Civic inspected by a BAR Ref for your BAR sticker so you can legally drive it on California roads.

Note: I disregarded your B16 aspirations outright. If your options are B16A or B18C, you should get the B18C
Thanks for the info . I was told it would be just basically plug in and play with the exception of my needing to get the stock gsr / or b16 motor mounts . As for the exhaust manifold and pcu etc the HMO complete change over comes with all that doesn't it ?

And as for the pcu and engine harness I didn't know there was modification needed I thought everything would fit without modifications since I'm getting the whole complete change over and just basically putting it in a shell.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a b16a sir2 or a obd1 gsr complete changover...

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30005

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30009
Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
Yeah that's what I wanted to do , but can't decide between the 2 of them .
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

b16=feel's like a d down low as it only has 6-8 more lbft of torque. a gsr will NOT feel like a d down low and has more potential with more TQ from the get go.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
b16=feel's like a d down low as it only has 6-8 more lbft of torque. a gsr will NOT feel like a d down low and has more potential with more TQ from the get go.
So it seems the GSR is the best option?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So it seems the GSR is the best option?
better, not cheaper but worth it in the long run the b16 will leave you wanting more for what you paid.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
better, not cheaper but worth it in the long run the b16 will leave you wanting more for what you paid.
Yeah if I'm going to be saving up for a swap I might as well save for the one that's worth it and no regret it later .

I was just confused because I was told b16 was better but the specs spoke otherwise just needed some light on the issue .
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Quote:

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1

my fault i was not trying to mislead i was just answering what op had specifically ask and wasn't being complete on my part of the statement, i assume it pretty common sense and didn't have to mention part such as mount, exhaust header, shift linkage, ect that should already come with the swap and the harness it not that complicated to add extra pin and wire to hook up to the ecu harness to make the swap work and yeah mybad too i didn't realize op was in a state with smog issue i live in Minnesota and thank god to our great past governor Jesse Ventura for getting rid of smog emission.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android