Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help.........car didn't pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help.........car didn't pass inspection

I have a 97 civic ex . I am throwing absolutely NO CODES . The reason it is not passing is because 3 of my systems are "Not Ready" as the inspection test stated. The catalyst, evap, and O2 sensor are the three systems. Now normally this is caused from what people have said by either disconnecting your battery or unplugging the ecu, both of which I have not done.

A friend of mine who works at Honda said a lot of times when systems come up as "Not Ready" during inspections, that sometimes the battery is going bad and needs to be replaced. I had my battery tested and it came back as a good battery.

Someone else at a different mechanics shop told be to check the radio/backup fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It's a 7.5 amp fuse that if blown will cause a "Not Ready" to show up on the inspection. This fuse was blown and I replaced it, but it didn't have an affect on my status. All 3 still came up.

The last thing I was told might help is to have my ECU reflashed. One person told me that going to someone who has a scanner for the vehicle can do this, for instance somewhere like autozone or where ever you can get a code pulled. Another told me that only that the dealership needs to do this. Can someone confirm on this?

Long story short, if someone has had something similar to this happen, any advice would be appreciated. This is a stock car with an intake, header, and exhaust, all three of which were on the car 1 year ago when it passed with flying colors. Only other thing that has been thrown out there is maybe I need a new ECU. I have one lined up that I can get but I don't like throwing money at things without knowing if it is the problem or not. So again, if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by EFRue57; 04-01-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help.........car didn't pass inspection

ok since u replaced the back up fuse i would disconnect the battery to reset the system and drive it until something happens...if there is something wrong with your system the check engine light will eventually come on..do these steps and it SHOULD get MOST of your system set to READY:

-disconnect the battery to reset the system
-start the car up cold and let it idle until warm (fan kicks on 1x)
-drive the car at steady speeds of 25-60mph for at least 6miles (i like to do 20-40 to help set the EVAP monitor)
-by now most of the system SHOULD be ready if not repeat the steps 1 or 2 more times -after the car has cooled down

3 of your system should be already set to READY when you start the car and the last 3 or 4 requires you to drive it to set them to READY
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help.........car didn't pass inspection

thank you, i'll try it. any other suggestions are still welcome. Thanks again ekb16.