Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Hello all,
Reason asking with mine a B16A2 in a 95 Civic, I put the key in turn to crank and car doesn't start. I do it again and same thing happens, After the third time cranking the car, it final would start. What is causing this issue, as i am not seeing any error codes?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

new plug wires lately?

Starting Problems

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Do you usually wait until CEL turns off with key in second postion to start engine (3rd position)...this allows enough time for fuel to prime.
Last time (mileage/year) fuel filter replaced? Fuel pump/pressure could be getting weak (less than spec).
Check spark quality: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...blems-2919450/ and Part 1 -How to Troubleshoot a No Start (1.6L Honda Civic) (although your's isn't a no-start..still good for spark quality)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check compression.

If you have not done so in the last two years, or don't know the history, replace spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter and inspect the fuel pressure along with inspecting the condition of the fuel pump strainer.

A new battery, if older than 4/5 years will also come in handy.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joey1320
replace spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor,.
OP: Do not spend money in that way without checking spark condition first. Thread after thread in which people rush to this conclusion, buy those parts, and changes absolutley nothing.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
OP: Do not spend money in that way without checking spark condition first. Thread after thread in which people rush to this conclusion, buy those parts, and changes absolutley nothing.
A decent set of plugs/wires/cap/rotor will set you back -$75. Peace of mind if you don't know the history of the engine and/or haven't done them in awhile.

​​​​​
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta agree with joey. I'm so **** on my maintainance I change my plugs every 10k miles tbh and change the oil when i think it's too black lol. **** I don't think my car will never not start ha.

But OPs problem sounds like the main relay. When you're trying to start the car how long does it take to finally start about 10-20 mins?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
I gotta agree with joey. I'm so **** on my maintainance I change my plugs every 10k miles tbh and change the oil when i think it's too black lol. **** I don't think my car will never not start ha.

But OPs problem sounds like the main relay. When you're trying to start the car how long does it take to finally start about 10-20 mins?
From my understanding of the description is that the key is turned to the crank/start position three different times before the engine runs. OP?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joey1320
A decent set of plugs/wires/cap/rotor will set you back -$75. Peace of mind if you don't know the history of the engine and/or haven't done them in awhile.​​​​​
Spark is spark and if it's good an engine doesn't recognize the difference between and old and new related part as long as the spark quality is the same,
Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Spark is spark and if it's good an engine doesn't recognize the difference between and old and new related part as long as the spark quality is the same,
That's true. But think about this Jimi, you just got a new car and it's having the problems OPs having. They can be getting the brightest spark but if it's a old item it's probably on its last leg, hence new used car who knows when the **** the op last did them. Replacing the plugs/cap/rotor now will prevent them from failing in the future. Where as keeping them in there you never know when you'll get no spark again cause your probably factory coil just took a ****. See what I'm saying?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
That's true. But think about this Jimi, you just got a new car and it's having the problems OPs having. They can be getting the brightest spark but if it's a old item it's probably on its last leg, hence new used car who knows when the **** the op last did them. Replacing the plugs/cap/rotor now will prevent them from failing in the future. Where as keeping them in there you never know when you'll get no spark again cause your probably factory coil just took a ****. See what I'm saying?
Go ahead and spend your money first..I'd rather test first. How can you predict (guess) a "potential" part failure? Does that mean you'd replace every part on the engine before it fails?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go ahead and spend your money first..I'd rather test first. How can you predict (guess) a "potential" part failure? Does that mean you'd replace every part on the engine before it fails?
No, you replace simple and inexpensive maintenance/wear items.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i originally read this i assumed the usual i run into with remote starts.

i put on a 10 second delay from the the time ignition is turned on (to allow fuel pump to prime) and then set it to .8 or 1 sec crank on the starter on all Honda.

my personal vehicles I've always ran tach to the dizzy. I average between 0.8 - 1.4 seconds of crank before it fires.

long story short every Honda we do needs this type of setup because the don't start immediately like domestic cars. otherwise we get customers coming back with their Honda complaining it didn't remote start the first time.

but if your cranking past two seconds after letting the cel light go out there is something wrong.