Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work!

Well I was helping my buddy install his subs in his Ex and we got everything wired and we turned on the subs. Then the cd player and door locks stopped working as well as a foul smell coming from near the cd player.

We checked all fuses. The only one blown was the 10 amp "back up" fuse under the hood. When I replaced it, the fuse would spark as soon as you put it in the socket, but not blow.
Everything worked again with the fuse in, but i heard a cracking noise and the same smell emerged. So, I disconnected the fuse and we are without door locks and a cd player now.......

Please help. I think there must be a short somewhere....

Old 06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smell = something frying. hopefully u didn't fry the head unit. might have wired it up wrong, then fried other wires. unless u want ur car up in flames, i'd say let somebody else do it.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (civic-rmod)

What year is the car? Off the batt you have a short somewhere, one of the wires is touching metal when its not suppose to. Find that problem and fix it, it might fix everything else as well.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (Luserkid)

also please tell me you didnt chop the hardness...... if so i hate you.

make sure the harness is all taped up right to each wire completly! i cannt tell you how many times ive seen stupid people just tape all of the wires together in a bundle!

also like said... what year..... ive heard some years you have to keep the stock radio in the car to keep the remote door locks....
luckely my 99 doesnt need it and already had a aftermarket radio in tho the radio still sucks. im just to broke to replace it with anything good yet.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (addiction2bass)

i didn't chop up the wire harness or mess with it at all.
this is a stock cd player from honda
Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (addiction2bass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year is the car? Off the batt you have a short somewhere, one of the wires is touching metal when its not suppose to. Find that problem and fix it, it might fix everything else as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i think it's an '00
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (civic-rmod)

o ok... stock radio/cd player... quick fix... replace it with a nice new aftermarket cd player with RCAs. the line driver you used might have screwed up a internal amplifier.

i did in my old towncar i had used the stock headunit. it also fried my wiring harness from the rear to the dash gas gauge never worked again after it burned up my factory amp

just maybe you tapped into the wrong wires for the line driver or highpass inputs
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by addiction2bass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o ok... stock radio/cd player... quick fix... replace it with a nice new aftermarket cd player with RCAs. the line driver you used might have screwed up a internal amplifier.

i did in my old towncar i had used the stock headunit. it also fried my wiring harness from the rear to the dash gas gauge never worked again after it burned up my factory amp

just maybe you tapped into the wrong wires for the line driver or highpass inputs</TD></TR></TABLE>
i didn't tap into any wires. I ran the subs from the stock 6X9 wires.
I had the same thing in my old Mitsu GST and it worked fine.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That foul smell and blowing fuses means that you either connected the wires wrong or they're grounding out.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That foul smell and blowing fuses means that you either connected the wires wrong or they're grounding out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it's not from any wires I connected....
It's behind the cd player. I didn't even remove the stock cd player
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

50% chance the head unit is fucked. The stock head unit controls the door locks as well as the door light. If those arent working and the head unit isnt asking for a code then your probably messed it up pretty bad. I suggest either putting it in another car or putting another stock deck in the car and see what happens, still have the problem you have a short, fixes the problem you know its the unit.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:49 AM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Cd Player and Door Locks do not work! (Luserkid)

well if its a 2000 civic i believe the door locks dont go thru the radio anymore.

not sure about those.
but for the radio id say go ahead and spend a few hundred more and instal a aftermarket cd player and run it with RCAs since they are designed for it. plus would probably sound beter even.
those are always the first things i swap out when i buy a new car.LOL

who knows might have been the bass that trashed the cd player as well.
hell look at my roof flex with 2 10s and only 300watts!

click on it to play...
now tell me all that flexing isnt good for a stock cd player as well as the sunroof.LMFAO

BUT if the radio isnt the problem.... o well ya got yourself a nice radio now and if you have to rewire the radio to all the speakers, just incase you blew a factory amplifier, not sure if the car has one or not.