Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need all OG'S help with this one!!!!!! Car stalling out of no where.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need all OG'S help with this one!!!!!! Car stalling out of no where.

Ok so I recently had a b16b that I bought from the ******** below put in my car. I also had a wire tuck done when the motor was installed. Here is my problem. My car occasionally out of no where likes to die on me when Im driving. It seems to happen right as Im about to come to a stop or once I come to a complete stop. Its not my dd so it doesnt happen every day but has happened 2x out of the 4 that I have driven it in the past 2 weeks. Once the car dies it will not restart until after I let it sit for a while. It will crank fast just like its not getting spark and or fuel. The fuel pump does prime and I know its NOT the main relay.

Today i drove to the gym and had no problems ( its about a 20 min drive) I came out of the gym and started driving home. I was coming up to a red light and right as I was about to stop, the car shut off. I luckily had enough momentum to coast over to the shoulder. I tried to restart it and it just cranked. My battery went dead so I had my buddy come up to jump it. I sat for about 40 minutes until he got there. He hooked it up and I turned the key and it fired right up no issues and drove home.

Last Thursday same thing happened. I was driving to my buddies house ( who jumped me) upon coming to his street I came to a stop to turn left and the car died. I tried to start it and it just cranked. I tried to pop the clutch and that didn't work either. I coasted into his driveway and went to Md. when I came back about 5 hrs later I got in the car and it started right up.

Does anyone have any ideas as what could be going on or what to check? Noob's DON'T give your useless advice about checking grounds, battery, alternator bullshit cuz Im pretty sure the problem is greater than that.

so these are the things I know are not causing my issue

ecu
conversion harness
dizzy
icm
ignition coil
main relay

so i would assume its either a bad harness, or some sort of sensor that wont throw a code when it fails. I am on my way to go get a new electrical load detector for the main fuse box. Apparently these have been known to go bad.

Last edited by mikeycivic; 03-19-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need all OG'S help with this one!!!!!! Car stalling out of no where.

you might need a alt
Old 01-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need all OG'S help with this one!!!!!! Car stalling out of no where.

iacv
Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check and see if all of the insides of the dizzy are tight, icm wires coil bolts rotor bolt check the cap for cracks or moisture etc. Swap ecu if possible as well.

I might not be an OG compared to the amount of posts you have but I have been in the game for a long time
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Drastk its the iacv most likely if you want to check the ecu I have mine collecting dust in the garage you can borrow it if you need to.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need a pct its a b16b, its so random. Why would it e the iac and why y would it start after what appears to be cooling off?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh crap I forgot
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as a side not I currently have no intake as well as no intake air temp sensor
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b4 bed bump for more opinions
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

either the main relay (cuz i had this exact same problem with my DA, replace the main relay and problem gone) OR something wrong with your wire tuck
Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was the IACV, the car would still start if you pressed the gas. Try replacing the ICM. They are known to intermittently cause problems when they heat up. You can also check the spark when it's not starting.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you coil
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm I know its not the main relay
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have an extra distributor that you can try? Ignitors have a similar issue when they get hot it'll die while driving. Cools down and later will start again. I'd try here first:

http://techautorepairs.com/ignition.html
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually just sold it. I do have a b16a2 dist in a b16b head. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but this dist came out of my perfectly running b16a2 motor. It has a new rotor but old cap. The issue def appears to be heat related cuz after the car sits it starts right up
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by System Lord
I would check and see if all of the insides of the dizzy are tight, icm wires coil bolts rotor bolt check the cap for cracks or moisture etc. Swap ecu if possible as well.

I might not be an OG compared to the amount of posts you have but I have been in the game for a long time
this is the answer fo sho. Happened to me going to many times going to IA last year.
it still does it on occasion. i keep a phillips screwdriver in the car. when it happens i pull the cap, loosen the neg screw on the coil and re tihgten it, and the car starts. dont know
Old 01-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It almost seems like a battery or alt problem cause you jump it and it starts. But pull off the iacv plug and then start it to find out if thats what it is. thers 2 different iacv plugs also 3 wire and a 2wire!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by System Lord

Also check the above please^

One more opinion on my side iacv ok maybe but not definite on that, a few rears back in my dc2 my ignition switch failed on me and I had many similar issues as you are. I definitely went through several diagnostic procedures without any luck until I took apart the steering column cover and checked the ignition switch harness the opposite side of where the key enters. Look for wear on the aluminum surfaces this is what ignites the vehicle on start up. BTW this is how thieves steal hondas so be mindful of who you tell. Here's a link for the part look your vehicle up.

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...14b551cae4b384
Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a battery or alt issue
Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend had the same issue with his da it was his ciol going out
Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh i think it is the coil
Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so update, I just let my car idle outside for a good hr, I turned it off and started it back up and its doing it. It cranks but will not start. Im going to let it sit for about 20-30 min and see if it fires up. If it does then Im pretty sure its the ignition coil going bad, any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mikeycivic
I also had a wire tuck done
theres your problem
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are wrong

well after ~30 minutes went out and it fired right up so I think its safe to say its the igniter unit or the coil.....NOT the wire tuck

Last edited by mikeycivic; 01-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can test the resistance of the coil but it's proably easier and more accurate to just get a new coil or ICM, install it in the parts store parking lot while the motor's hot and the problem is occurring, then return it for the other part if it doesn't immediately fix the problem. GL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need all OG'S help with this one!!!!!! Car stalling out of no where.