Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why does Helms manual suggest replacing certain bolts once have been removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does Helms manual suggest replacing certain bolts once have been removed?

Q: What is the reasoning behind replacing removed bolts with brand new ones? If the threads are not damaged and the bolt is torqued to factory spec, what advantage does a new bolt have over the old one?

A: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xD***tonesx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some bolts, are designed to stretch upon being torqued. they can only be torqued once. so once they are stretched, they wont torque correctly again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qat727 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Along those lines, a lot of times, when it recommends it to be replaced, it's a torque-to-yield bolt, that when properly torqued once, actually gets stretched out and becomes too weak to be properly torqued on subsequent installations. A lot of cars have head bolts of this nature. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There have been times when I could not find an oil plug drain washer when changing the oil. So, I reinstall the same washer flipped over and retorqued with no problems.

I'm mainly asking about the front crossmember bolts.

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 11:15 AM 6/26/2007
Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Why does Helms manual suggest replacing certain bolts once have been removed? (Hybrid93Hatch)

Some hondas have 15 year old rusty bolts, it only makes sense to replace them.

If the bolt looks fine and is rust-free then leave it. If you had to use pb blaster to take it off, by all means replace it if you feel it's necessary.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does Helms manual suggest replacing certain bolts once have been removed? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some hondas have 15 year old rusty bolts, it only makes sense to replace them.

If the bolt looks fine and is rust-free then leave it. If you had to use pb blaster to take it off, by all means replace it if you feel it's necessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL! Yeah, I would replace a rusted suspension bolt with half a stripped head that took 20 minutes to remove I'm talking about bolts that are backed out with no problem and have no damage to them. I can see the Stealership replacing them for profit, but is it necessary?

There are many notations in Helms that state, "replace XXXXXXX if wear is visible" or "replace XXXXXX if the tolerance does not meet XYZ". I can see why all the gaskets say "replace" or when parts are moving or cause friction, but not understanding undamaged bolts
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, sometimes it has to do with strength and stress issues...if a bolt is in a high stress part of the car/motor/etc. it'll tell you to replace it cause once you take it out you compromise the integrity of the bolt. kind of like gaskets. i used to work for a honda motorcycle shop and believe me, its not to make money..a bolt is a dollar or 2 at most..its for your safety
Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah, sometimes it has to do with strength and stress issues...if a bolt is in a high stress part of the car/motor/etc. it'll tell you to replace it cause once you take it out you compromise the integrity of the bolt. kind of like gaskets. i used to work for a honda motorcycle shop and believe me, its not to make money..a bolt is a dollar or 2 at most..its for your safety</TD></TR></TABLE>

Along those lines, a lot of times, when it recommends it to be replaced, it's a torque-to-yield bolt, that when properly torqued once, actually gets stretched out and becomes too weak to be properly torqued on subsequent installations. A lot of cars have head bolts of this nature.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (xD***tonesx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xD***tonesx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the last guy was the closest. but sadly, as is the case with every thread in this 92-00 forum, everyones wrong.

some bolts, are designed to stretch upon being torqued. they can only be torqued once. so once they are stretched, they wont torque correctly again.

hence, the need to replace them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

posted same thing at the same time as me.... lol
Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a bolt is a dollar or 2 at most..its for your safety</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, there is one bolt in the crossmember that retails at over $11

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...81%29

Question Does anyone kow if the bolts mirror each other? You notice in the link it only shows one side of the crossmember hardware. I'll take a look at the bolts to verify as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xD***tonesx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the last guy was the closest. but sadly, as is the case with every thread in this 92-00 forum, everyones wrong.

some bolts, are designed to stretch upon being torqued. they can only be torqued once. so once they are stretched, they wont torque correctly again.

hence, the need to replace them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO

Good enough / great info I will be ordering all new bolts for the crossmember and most of the suspension as well. What's another $100 in bolts when you've spent over $5,000 and the car still needs more parts to run

Thanks for the info