Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My brakes make a noise while driving what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes make a noise while driving what could it be?

Whats up ht!
I got a 00 Civic and not too long ago, my brakes began to make a screeching/grinding type of noise?
It's like almost constant tho?
Sometimes when I begin to drive It it doesn't make the sound then after a couple of mins it starts to do it again
It's like the brake is constantly touching the rotor
But I checked it and it still looks in good condition actually?
Are my pads just going out ?
ANY advice is helpful thank you
Old 02-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: My brakes make a noise while driving what could it be?

If it is indeed your brakes, your "squealer" pins (notification pins) could be hitting the rotors. They are on the back pad and are meant to "squeal" to notify you that the pad has worn to X point. You can bend it back a little but make sure it's still lower than the highest point of the pad so it notifies you before the pad is gone.

If it's not brakes, did you raise the car and do the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock when wiggle and then again on the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock positions? Wheel bearings can make one hell of a racket even though I think it's early for that on a 2000 civic.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bending the squeal bars back is...a painfully bad idea. The squeal bars are there to tell you that you are PAST the final service life of the pads. Just bending them back is a quick way to completely ruin your braking system, and risk turning a $50 pad replacement into a $400 pad, rotor, and caliper replacement.

If the noise is constant, even when you aren't on the brakes, it's more likely either a bearing problem, or your dust shields dragging on the rotor. Lock the steering wheel, and secure the front end of the car on jack stands. Grab the wheel firmly at 12/6 (top and bottom), and try to wiggle it. You shouldn't have any deflection. Now grab at 3/9 (right and left) and try to wiggle it. Once again, you shouldn't have any deflection. If you have deflection at 12/6 but NOT at 3/9, your ball joints need to be replaced. If you have deflection at 3/9, but NOT at 12/6, your tie rods and/or tie rod ends need to be replaced. If you have deflection at both, your bearing is probably shot and needs to be replaced.

Checking the dust shield is easier. Take the wheel off and look at it. Is it touching, or close to touching the rotor? Are there any visual signs of rubbing on it? If it is, bend it back a little. If it isn't, then it isn't your problem.

Doing a wheel bearing properly takes a press. If you want to DIY the job, find a machine shop that'll do the pressing for you, remove the knuckle, buy a replacement bearing, bring them to the machine shop, and have them do the work. As with most steering, suspension, and brake system work, it's best to do both sides together. If one bearing has failed, the other one is reaching the end of it's service life.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

More likely due to worn brake pads.

1. The brake pad wear indicator is only on one edge of the inner pad. There is no wear indicator on the outer pad. You normally have to at least jack up the car to examine the inner pads. Unless you have brake lining thickness gauges to stick in to the inner pad without removing the wheel, removing the wheel to inspect is the way. Although the caliper has an inspection hole in the center, sometimes, there may be uneven wear on one end of the pad; so the pad wear may actually even be worse than what you see by just looking through the inspection hole in the caliper, without lifting the caliper to see.

2. If the pads are wearing down to where the indicator is, it can make noise even if you don’t step on the brake pedal. The Honda calipers are a floating type (sliding), it moves in and out relative to the rotor and has one only on the inboard side of the rotor. As your pads wear, the piston extends out closer to the rotor. When the pads are really thin and almost completely worn, the caliper will hold the pad close enough to cause the wear indicator to make noise even if the brakes are not applied, especially if there is uneven pad wear on one side. Initially, the brake noise from the wear indicator may not always make noise even if you don’t apply the brakes, as the wear indicator may not always be in contact with the rotor. Eventually, if the pads are not changed, it will make noise almost all the time.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Bending the squeal bars back is...a painfully bad idea. The squeal bars are there to tell you that you are PAST the final service life of the pads. Just bending them back is a quick way to completely ruin your braking system, and risk turning a $50 pad replacement into a $400 pad, rotor, and caliper replacement.
My akebono pads the squealer pin hit at half pad, nearly 2 CM of pad left. I had to bend it back some so it's closer to 1cm when it will hit again.

Bad idea? Or best to leave it squealing for the next year?

And it's more than 50 bucks to swap brakes. It's 89 bucks for the akeebona pads after tax, then it's 25 bucks a rotor to have them turned, then it's a few bucks for the lubricants (i.e. copaslip).

Pulling pads prematurely because the squealer pin is not set properly is painfully bad idea and a waste of money to boot.

Granted, I'm also assuming the OP is intelligent and will be able to note a worn out pad over a pad with lots of meat left that has an overly conservative squealer pin.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:44 PM

So you're overpaying for pads that intentionally place their squealer bars in a place that you only use them for half of their life? Maybe it's time to starting buying better parts, and stop following bad habits. Duralast Gold CMax pads are $37. Wearever Golds are $23. Wagner Ceramics are $40. Want a more aggressive pad? Hawk blacks are $64. Hawk yellows are $71. Paying $90 for pads is just...come on, man, shop around.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

So you're overpaying for pads that intentionally place their squealer bars in a place that you only use them for half of their life? Maybe it's time to starting buying better parts, and stop following bad habits. Duralast Gold CMax pads are $37. Wearever Golds are $23. Wagner Ceramics are $40. Want a more aggressive pad? Hawk blacks are $64. Hawk yellows are $71. Paying $90 for pads is just...come on, man, shop around.
You forget what country you live in. The bully country with the most consumerism around so you have the best prices and most waste in the world. Not everyone lives in the USA and just about every other country in the world is just a wee bit more expensive by nature.

Akeebona is one of the best for our Honda's on non track applications. But I believe you already know that and just wish to be argumentative. And whose to say the pin was set like that originally. It could have gotten bent in on shipping, or when I was doing the install.

30 dollar pads up here are garbage pads you wouldn't want on any car.

You made a good point though, I didn't mention anything about inspecting the pad to be sure it was still usable before mentioning bending the pin back. I did say to keep the pin in a position to give you proper warning before the pad was beyond use though.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:06 PM

So now you're using living in a country that relies on others' for protection as an excuse to not shop around, and not properly inspect parts before installing them. Got it. Are we done making pointless personal attacks on each other's country of residence, now, or would you like me to continue? You're the one with the blue name - you should know better.

Akebono makes a good pad, but it's by no means the only viable option on the market. Wagner Ceramics and Hawk blacks work just as well, if not better. Even if you want to go by non-American prices, the price ratios would still be roughly the same. Akebonos are $58 locally (they expect you to pay more for the shims that come standard with any other pad, that's...cute). Even going from a price ratio standpoint, Wagner Ceramics would still be a cheaper, equally functional option.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So now you're using living in a country that relies on others' for protection as an excuse to not shop around, and not properly inspect parts before installing them. Got it. Are we done making pointless personal attacks on each other's country of residence, now, or would you like me to continue? You're the one with the blue name - you should know better.

Akebono makes a good pad, but it's by no means the only viable option on the market. Wagner Ceramics and Hawk blacks work just as well, if not better. Even if you want to go by non-American prices, the price ratios would still be roughly the same. Akebonos are $58 locally (they expect you to pay more for the shims that come standard with any other pad, that's...cute). Even going from a price ratio standpoint, Wagner Ceramics would still be a cheaper, equally functional option.
Dude, brakes only slow you down. Who needs em anyway?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Hysterically Calm

Precisely, you can get the same Akeebono pads for 58 bucks, why? Because the USA is the biggest consumer in the world, and the biggest waster because of it's over consumption.

Now look at Australia, price those same pads, I'm pretty sure they are 3 times as much.

You call it an attack, I call it fact of the world as it operates. You say protect, I say take others resources by force. You can't escape the fact that it's currently the most largest consumer on the planet which in turn also makes it the most wasteful. Call it what you will, doesn't change the facts.

Now what this means is you have the buying power so everything is cheaper. But I guess you didn't correlate what I was getting at.

You make assumptions that I didn't shop around. Ever import anything to another country and have to pay duty. You want to see the difference, do amazon searches on both .com and .ca and you will find plenty of items, same brand, model and everything, and 9 out of 10 times it's at least 150% the price of the US. Simple fact this country doesn't have the same population that can be brainwashed into zombie consumerism.

Count your blessings instead of bashing others based on your rose colored glasses. You got it good, that is until you speak out, then you might be detained indefinitely depending on what you spoke out about. Keep your head down and you get to enjoy cheap products below the cost it actually cost to produce them. The costs are deferred to everyone else other than you. Enjoy it while you can. You got it all. For now.

Here, since you don't seem to think the price goes up as soon as you step out the door of the USA.

Amazon.com

OTC 7249 Ball Joint, U-Joint and Brake Anchor Pin Service Kit
by OTC
164 customer reviews | 24 answered questions
List Price: $189.95
Price: $105.51
You Save: $84.44 (44%)

Amazon.ca
OTC 7249 Ball Joint, U-Joint and Brake Anchor Pin Service Kit
by OTC
2 customer reviews
List Price: CDN$ 212.74
Price: CDN$ 150.12 & FREE Shipping.
\You Save: CDN$ 62.62 (29%)

The list goes on and on. Even your Wagner Brake pads are abotu 150% more up here than across the border. It's a fact of life. And no one says I have to enjoy that fact, especially not you.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okayy thank you all tho guys for the help and advice today when I have time I'm going to check it out again and I'll get back to you guys!
Thank you all again!