Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 96 Civic Dx Coupe build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 96 Civic Dx Coupe build thread

Not the best idea to have your address posted on here Justin Barnes....
Thieves are lurking and I don't wanna see you lose all that you have worked for.

Regardless, nice build you have going so far!!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: My 96 Civic Dx Coupe build thread

thanks for the heads up. i didnt even realize that was up lol
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i didnt get pictures but I relocated my battery and wired everything up turned the ignition on. everything works headlights turn on, turn signals, heater controls, etc So thats good. I was a little worried from tugging on the fuse box wires to get them into my glove box. And when i got the car it had been sideswiped so the kid put 99-00 electron blue si doors on it. Now keep in mind my car is a 96 DX. so it didnt come with power windows, locks, and mirrors. I had been looking into actually getting all of it wired up so i could actually rolls the windows down. This was one of the main reasons I didnt drive the car last summer when it was d16y7 turbo. A car with power windows and no power or a/c isnt fun in summer. So i found you could use an ex floor harness and everything worked like stock. Unfortuanelty when converting your dx or cx to power if your car is a 96-98 you have to use 96-98 ex floor harness and window regulators, door panels, etc and 99-00 dx/cx uses 99-00 ex/si. Well here lies the problem my civic is a 96 with 99-00 doors and regulators, plugs etc.
So I found this guys thread on Honda Hookup that helped me out
http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/sh...96-00-civic-DX

Oh and I also hooked the shift linkage up and i started working on hooking my Innovate Lc1 back up. And im going to be putting my cd player in the lower din (by the cup holders)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok today i got my TIAL 44mm MVS Wastegate and i officially have mounted the turbo, manifold, and wastegate. There all bolted up now i just got to mock up my oil return line, tap the pan, mock up my coolant lines and drill and tap the radiator for my coolant return. Hoping by Saturday to Fire this thing up.
Attached Images    

Last edited by ironiceghatch; 05-16-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Resizing Picture WAY too big
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doing work car looks good.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toybox30
doing work car looks good.
thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i got a filter since the turbo is right next the headlight. I was just gonna get a screen but one of my buddies show these small filter w/ 4" opening which is perfect because the intake side on the garrett is a 4". I had to smash it a little so it would clear the core support and the headlight.

Then the PLM downpipe was a 2.5" 4 bolt flange but my gt30 is a 3" GT 4 bolt. So I cut it back to where its 3" (about an inch and a half) and welded on a 3" GT 4bolt flange. luckily the tial MVR 44m is so small cuz I moved that downpipe an inch and a half closer to the WG.

Ive also run my coolant feed line and my oil return is connected but ghetto i need a new fitting which is fine because I found someone who could weld the coolant return bung into the radiator. It looks like I could get it back monday.

Oh welded the oil return bung into the oil pan. Got a new oil pan gasket on there just need a new fitting that goes onto the bung welded into the pan.

The third picture is a little bracket I rigged up to keep my coolant feed line away from the downpipe.

And lastly the last 2 pictures are what my setup (top mount GT30 B16) looks like from underneath.
Attached Images       
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: My 96 Civic Dx Coupe build thread. ALMOST TOGETHER

Just a couple shots after tonight. i went to Illfest and got a couple fittings i needed. Now got all oil and coolant lines run. Radiators in and my cold side IC piping is all hooked up.
THINGS LEFT TO DO!
Install HOT SIDE IC Piping
Get vac lines for my wastegate and BOV
Bleed clutch
Put my axles in
Add coolant and Trans fluid
Prime system (prep turbo for first startup)
Fire it Up and calibrate TPS
Wire up my wideband (too lazy)
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks very good so far!!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great work! Keep it up! (I really like your steering wheel. What is it?)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just an eBay one w/ Honda horn button. I'm actually not a fan of it and plan on getting a different one eventually. Thanks guys oh and a little update....
All my vac lines are on and most of today was spent trying to figure out why I'm leaking coolant. My coolant lines need to come back off so I can fix them. There a pain in the ***. Got my Mishimoto slim fan wired up as a pusher and mounted too got pics but i don't have time to upload. I'll do it tomorrow
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So last week I got my mishimoto slim fan hooked up as a pusher and mounted under my core support for more room in the bay for my dp. Had a couple problems with my turbo coolant lines leaking so I fixed that Friday. Traded some eg black housings w/ amber corners I had for a 2000 civic hood. Calibrated My tps. Its running pretty good now. I have been cruising it around the past couple days. Playing with the tune VIA Crome PRO. Ill post up some vids once I get the AFRs a little closer to where I want them. Right now I got it with no knock and my its running a little rich here and there, but for the most part my AFRs are about 11.5-12.5 so I still gotta play with it a little bit.
Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ironiceghatch
Its just an eBay one w/ Honda horn button. I'm actually not a fan of it and plan on getting a different one eventually.
Go Momo. They're awesome.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like how much its changed lol from rice to new fender to breaking it and dropping a b engine to the front conversion. btw what did you do with the halos? if u trashed them i will pimp slap u lol
Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
i like how much its changed lol from rice to new fender to breaking it and dropping a b engine to the front conversion. btw what did you do with the halos? if u trashed them i will pimp slap u lol
thanks! and actually I literally gave the halos away and the chrome taillights away. lol

and as for the steering wheel. I agree momos are super nice. Idk what im gonna get next though
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just wanna let you know that the pics of the turbo from underneath were even better than an upskirt view on J-Lo lol. amazing work! cant wait to see this thing finished!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol thanks! I especially liked whatever was humping the foot lol. And ya im hoping to have some vids up of the car this weekend...maybe some time slips too
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue fittings, purple WG and radiator stay

Good look so far, though, other than the mismatched colors under the hood
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya the fittings were a temporary fix because I messed up my black ones from B&R fittings and it was all the local shop had were the blue/red an fittings. I ordered new black ones from B&R just got sick of waiting for fittings to drive the car. I just got my new black ones yesterday and plan on swapping them out this weekend along with getting my exhaust put on. Open downpipe is just to loud to drive around town with. Im too paranoid im gonna get pulled over
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or were you referring to the blue couplers, because those also have to go. Just used what i had to get it running for now. These are all things I plan on changing out later on down the road but as you can see from the pics the car itself isnt very pretty lol. I guess thats why we call them project cars. Thanks though !!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just referring to the fact that some stuff is blue, and some stuff is purple. Granted, I'm also a color nut, and things have to match or complement to me. If you're more curious about the styling I'm talking about, complementary colors are pretty easy to understand. Probably the easiest part of style to understand, honestly.

It's not the kind of thing that people really notice immediately, but it's one of those things that almost everyone notices at the back of their mind.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

took of my VC to get it painted. The black was chipping and the pic doesnt really how bad it actually was so i used paint stripper and shined up the metal and used this paint I found to give it a some what anodized look and it actually turned out a lot better then I thought it would. broke a VC stud like an idiot. It was one of the studs that hold the spark plug cover down so waiting til monday or tuesday to get a new one from honda. I also got a new vc gasket kit. It came with the valve cover gasket and the spark plug seals and the washer/grommet things that actually seat on the valve cover
so just a little update I got the afrs somewhat safe but I really havent been driving it much. Im gonna take it to a guy down near indy whos gonna street tune it for me. I dont know too much about playing with the timing and my basemap has the timing retarded quite a bit to be safe so whenever I get a chance Im gonna shoot down there and see what it can really do
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i havent posted anything in a while guys. I have been busy working a lot. I started making a video just a walkaround and then some pulls in the car but i kept blowing the charge pipe off. Now that I fixed that problem I havent had too much time to make the video. Anyways I got some new wheels and tires Rota Track R2s so i figured id update with some pics. I havent driven it much and now im having problems with my teggy gsr sedan the DD. I started it when i went to leave work and it fired right up and shut right back off and wont start now. It cranks just wont start. I tried a whole new dizzy and main relay but no luck. Sounds like my fuel pump isnt even priming though so idk. Anyways heres the coupe now...next up is paint and bodywork? or clean new shell and swap over everything???
Attached Images       
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build and like the progress from the beginning to now. Is this going to be a sleeper DD? lol
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang. If you replaced the Main Relay and the fuel pump's still not priming, it's probably the pump itself or wiring. I think you can jump the pump to test it.

Quick Reply: My 96 Civic Dx Coupe build thread