Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 95 Civic CX hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: My 95 Civic CX hatch build

The question now is: Turbocharge or Supercharge?

I'm not looking to drag race. Autocrossing would be ideal and there's a guy here on H-T selling his Jackson Racing SC with 440 injectors for cheap. What else would I need to make it work though? Up until last week I've only been looking at turbo setups.

I would like to be able to be a stock Pontiac G8 GT in a drag race though (Road & Track published the G8 GT's 1/4 mile at 13.5sec).

Post your opinions! I'd only be looking for a maximum of 250whp from a boosted setup anyways!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Turbo!
your build is kick *** my friend!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM
talks to himself

Possibly buying some goodies this week.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful Job Congratt
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW.. I think your doing a hell of a job
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nicee
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id go turbo with a gt28rs but thats just me... good luck with the build tho looks good so far.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
talks to himself

Ok, so at the end of my original post I mentioned that the re-built axles I bought were too long and binding. Here's how we ended up pulling the passenger side axle out of the transmission. Note that this was AFTER about 2 hours of trying to use pry-bars from both above and below. Those H-pattern sub-frame braces really obstruct access to the back of the motor.

We welded a bracket over the opening to give the slide hammer a good gripping surface.

You can see the damage that was caused to the axle in the picture below. I've got magnetic drain plugs in the trans and I'm pretty sure we got all of the clip out.

Last edited by CX-Adam; 03-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build up!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build...how much would your dad charge to do quarter panels?...i live in the chicago area and im afraid of letting sum1 work on my baby and fkin here up....
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
talks to himself

A little update:

I actually put a few miles on the car yesterday. The car drives really well and the VTEC cross-over was noticeable. There's one problem though. The brakes fade really badly. We're thinking there's a leak in the master cylinder. A broken seal or something. When the car is off the brakes get really stiff. When the car is on the pedal will slowly fade to the floor. So, that means the brake booster is probably involved. Also, we couldn't chase the leak down anywhere else.

Felt good to get the car on the road!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Trial User

Thats whatsss uppp! nice work
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
talks to himself

Hey everyone. Here's a little update.

I've been driving the car as much as possible lately to chase down any problems. Here's a list of the problems I've found, so far, and how I fixed them. Learn from my mistakes!

My check engine light came on about a week ago. After a LONG time searching for the service connector (on my car it’s a blue plug and it was crammed WAY up alongside my glove box) I was able to jump the connections and turn my car to the ONII position. Codes: 02, 03, and 21 came up. I realized about a week prior that I had been driving without a gas cap so I bought a new one, cleared the codes, and they haven’t returned yet! I used this as a reference: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-pull-cel-d4-srs-abs-codes-code-lists-1901557/

I took my wheels off to polish and wax them because my brake pads are creating a lot of dust. The drive-side front wheel was spider-webbed with brake fluid and I was like “WTF?” Well, we didn’t find a leak so it must have been residuals from bleeding the brakes but what we did find was that the guide bolt for the caliper had backed itself out about ¼”!!!! Both front brakes were like this. If you rebuild your own brakes check them regularly to make sure they’re ok!

The driver-side rear wheel was all scratched up on the inside. It turns out that one of the caliper shields that had been ripped off and decided to do a little damage. I’m lucky I didn’t get a flat. The reason: when removing the calipers to rebuild them, a bolt holding the shield in had snapped. So, when we re-installed the shields, we only used one bolt. What we should have done was drill and re-tap the hole…

Other work:
Adjusted ride height. I’m not sitting super low but I’m not beating the hell out of the front of my car getting in and out of the driveway either. Function AND Form.

Started wet-sanding and buffing. So far the hood is done and it looks awesome. There are a few imperfections that I can see when looking at it but, in total, I’m happy. This was never meant to be a concourse car.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
A little update:

I actually put a few miles on the car yesterday. The car drives really well and the VTEC cross-over was noticeable. There's one problem though. The brakes fade really badly. We're thinking there's a leak in the master cylinder. A broken seal or something. When the car is off the brakes get really stiff. When the car is on the pedal will slowly fade to the floor. So, that means the brake booster is probably involved. Also, we couldn't chase the leak down anywhere else.

Oh, and I also fixed this. I ended up buying a new brake mastercylinder. It sucks that I had to spend the money to do that but, it was a fast and easy fix. The only thing I did wrong was I didn't bleed the new mastercylinder before putting it in my car. It made bleeding the whole system take a lot longer. There's still some sponginess to the peddle so I'm going to get a power bleeder and bleed them again at a later date.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by jdmenthusiast's
nice build...how much would your dad charge to do quarter panels?...i live in the chicago area and im afraid of letting sum1 work on my baby and fkin here up....
Sorry dude, he's pretty busy right now with a Triumph TR6 restoration project.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:05 PM
talks to himself

It's looking like I need new front brakes. My rotors may be warped and I think I'll replace the pads too. I don't know what kinda of pads came with the brake conversion but they are SUPER dusty and it's a pain to clean my wheels every other day.

So, my brakes are doing this cyclical grinding noise that I can feel in the steering wheel when I'm braking. I'm thinking it's warped rotors but is it possible that I bent the hubs pressing in the new wheel bearings? Does anyone have experience with warped hubs? I'd get a dial gauge and measure but I'm not sure if I want to buy one.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 AM
talks to himself

I bought an EK for my new winter car. 38mpg on the first fill-up! My EH2 is back in the garage and I'm aggressively researching options for my engine build. Expect PMs asking to buy your parts and updates starting after Christmas.

I'll post a few pictures this week of the current condition of the car. It got kinda beat up this year and I had an epic fail that I'm sure a bunch of you will laugh at.

Does anyone have an ITR exhaust cam in good condition that they'd like to sell me? Pick-up only. Northern/Central Illinois, Indiana, southern Wisconsin.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 AM
talks to himself

It's looking like I need new front brakes. My rotors may be warped and I think I'll replace the pads too. I don't know what kinda of pads came with the brake conversion but they are SUPER dusty and it's a pain to clean my wheels every other day.

So, my brakes are doing this cyclical grinding noise that I can feel in the steering wheel when I'm braking. I'm thinking it's warped rotors but is it possible that I bent the hubs pressing in the new wheel bearings? Does anyone have experience with warped hubs? I'd get a dial gauge and measure but I'm not sure if I want to buy one.

Oh, and I fixed this. I borrowed a dial gauge and there were some minor low spots on the out sides of the rotors. The inside of my old rotors were considerably thinner than the outside due to the single piston design of the calipers. I'm guessing there was some collapsing of the rotor surface between the veins but I couldn't position the dial gauge to measure the inside surface. I replaced the front rotors with slotted EBC rotors and the brake pads on all four corners with Hawk HPS pads. The pads that my conversion came with were way too dusty and required cleaning of my wheels every week. I don't need pads that are that aggressive on a daily driver. The rear rotors I left as stock.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good Build man!

A little update:

I had a similar problem in my EG8 when we replaced the master cylinder, There was no leak either. My Pops and i bought a bleeder kit and bled the brakes almost a year ago. Solved the problem. Havent had problems at all. Probably coulda saved you some time if i saw your build earlier. lol
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks clean man.
Great work
Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by Nemasis2009
Good Build man!

I had a similar problem in my EG8 when we replaced the master cylinder, There was no leak either. My Pops and i bought a bleeder kit and bled the brakes almost a year ago. Solved the problem. Havent had problems at all. Probably coulda saved you some time if i saw your build earlier. lol
Thanks dude. I appreciate the kind words.

But, I wasn't happening because the brakes weren't bleed correctly. We definitely did that. Twice actually. And we sequenced them properly to chase the air out starting at the corner furthest from the driver. (See http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...leeding-brakes)

I had a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

What I did do wrong was I didn't bleed the master cylinder (MC) BEFORE installing it. That would have saved a ton of time. So, anyone looking to replace their MC, bleed your new one before installing it otherwise you'll end up with air bubbles at the very beginning of your lines. It takes more time and more fluid (money) to bleed your brakes if you don't prep. the MC properly. Take your time and do it correctly. Same principal as the "measure twice. cut once." mantra.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do some good work man. You say you have been working on it since September but how often were you working at it?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by King Si
You do some good work man. You say you have been working on it since September but how often were you working at it?
Thank you!

The project started in September 2009. That year and all of 2010 I was traveling every week for work so I only had the weekends. We worked on it pretty much every weekend up until the spring of 2011. This year I did very little work to the car other than chase down problems that were potentially dangerous (see previous posts about my brakes). I was also able to water sand and buff the car (which I ****ed up on the front bumper cover). I'll post pictures of that process later.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing, better than new. Glad you decided to keep it. Great work man.

Quick Reply: My 95 Civic CX hatch build