Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Minor wiring problem giving me a big headache...pics (HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon3 Minor wiring problem giving me a big headache...pics (HELP!)

Ok, so I'm a total noob when it comes to wiring. I got a set of foglights a while back and was having problems with the switch so as suggested in a previous thread I made, I decided to buy a regular 2-way switch from Autozone and wire that up to my fogs. I cut the wires and fitted connectors on the ends and connected them to the switch. The switch has three contacts,1 for the ground, 1 for the power to the lights, and 1 for power from the power source. I followed the diagram for the switch. The harness for the lights has 5 wires, 2 black and 3 red. One red wire was by itself, the other two red were together as well as the black. 01_CLtypeS sent me pictures of how his switch was wired so I followed his pictures and did mine the same way since his harness had 5 wires as well.

After I connected everything, I turned on my headlights and the foglights came on as well. The problem was, that no matter what position I flipped the switch to, my foglights remained on. Me not thinking, assumed that I mixed up the ground and power connections so I switched them. The lights did not come on this time, so I switched them back to how they originally were and they still didn't come on, so I pretty much new I blew a fuse. I looked at the dash and realized I didn't have lights there for my speedometer and tach, as well as the A/C control lights.

So I have a 2-part question. What fuse do I have to replace, and do you guys think I wired the lights incorrectly and if so how should I wire them?

On to the pics:

This is how 01_CLtypeS has his switch wired up:

and here's how I did mine:

Here's how the wires looked on the plug for the original switch:

I joined the 2 black ones together into one connector, the 2 red together, and then left the single red wire between the two black wires by itself.

And here is the fuse box, which one should I replace and how do I check/test the fuses?:

and here's a pic of the relay for the harness, if that's of any use at all:

Thanks for your help! This is frustrating the hell out of me and I just want to get it solved.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give me some more info on what fog light you have and what brand it is, i think i can help you
Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they're ebay foglights (i know, i know).oem replicas like the depos.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's an 00' EX. I'm pretty sure I blew a fuse because I have no dashlights as well. I want to get this solved before I leave work because by the time I leave it's dark out and It'll be akward not being able to see my speedometer, and cops here are strict about speed limits so don't want to take a risk with that.

I'm on my way out to head to autozone to buy some fuses and a multimeter. I have to go to work after so I might not be able to post while I'm there. I will be able to read the thread, just maybe not post, but as soon as I can I will so please keep posting up suggestions.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are two good writeup on installing them
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bdiy%5D-how-use-oem-switch-your-99-00-aftermarket-fog-lights-2246130/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighting-107/how-jdm-itr-hid-headlight-fog-light-wiring-2195061/
Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys, i'm at work right now and can't be on the computer for too long. I figured out which fuse blew under the dash so i got that out of the way. it was the first 7.5amp fuse to the left of the 4 7.5amp fuses to the right of the fuse box. i wired my fogs as i did originally the first time as i explained above with the same results, the stay on no matter what position the switch is in.

i think the first link hazard2o9 posted just might help me solve the wiring problem. it has a picture showing the wire between the two grounds actually goes with the another wire. fromt the looks of what i did, i joined two wrong wires. i can't work on it right now, ill have to wait until i get home. do you guys think it will be safe for me to drive home with my wires in their current setup? i have an hour drive home.

here's the link for you guys to see what i'm talking about.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2246130

compared to mine, it looks like i have 2 wires crossed. can i drive like this until i get home?

thanks again for all of your help.