Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini Me Build questions.. is it a mini me??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Mini Me Build questions.. is it a mini me??

Car:
1996 Honda Civic EX, Automatic
(Original engine block D16Y8, which died, last owner replaced it with a D16Y7..)

Ok well I aquired the vehicle with a few issues, even though the car did turn on, it sounded terrible(Like a knocking in the engine), and it wouldn't pass a certain rpm. I recently took the engine out and started a rebuilt, at first everything seemed fine, good rod bearings and most of the main bearings were good aswell, except for 2 main bearings which were totally worn to the copper, not to mention they were smaller in overall size aswell..

Now I have the engine ready to go and we'll I have a few questions:
1- I was told that my setup will be almost stock and not a "mini me" since the Y7 and Y8 blocks are the same, except for pistons and the knock sensor. My Y7 DOES have a knock sensor, I'm just using the Y7 pistons, will there be a problem?
2- Again I was told about the IACV and that my intake manifold didn't have the holes to put it... I'm using the original manifold that came with the car... what...I'm confused.?

Basically all stock EX parts from my car all Y8, basically the only thing changing here is the block to a Y7 (knock sensor included)

I'm posting pics so you guys can see if I'm missing something, or if there's an issue

Oh and p.s. I'm using the original Y8 ECU.

Thanks!, help will be highly apreciated!!

Ready to go!

Automatic NOT manual

Still needs a bit of work Y8 head
Old 12-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Mini Me Build questions.. is it a mini me??

The head looks like it has the B7 cam gear for the 6th gen 5th gen minime.

Need to get the Y8 cam gear if you are going back to the 6th gen block or you will be 1/2 a tooth off on your mechanical timing.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Hope to god thats a y8 transmission....
Old 12-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
The head looks like it has the B7 cam gear for the 6th gen 5th gen minime.

Need to get the Y8 cam gear if you are going back to the 6th gen block or you will be 1/2 a tooth off on your mechanical timing.
How can I tell the difference? I'll upload a few more pics of the head in a bit

How can I tell or verify it's the Y8 trani?

Thanks!

Eddit

Last edited by Xextr3meX; 12-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transmission might have a VIN stamp on the front of it, that would make it easy - it should start with 1HGEJ8. The important part there is EJ8. If it says EJ6, it's the wrong transmission. Aside from that, start looking for identifying stamps anywhere on it.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

For the head, just like NARC stated for the transmission (and likely cluing you in to the head too) look for the casting stamps. You can verify if it's a Z6 or a Y8 head from the castings stamps.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not of any help, but the short block looks good. Nice job cleaning it up.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there an IACV on the bottom of the throttle body? That is where the automatics should have them.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the IACV is located in the Throttle body i'dk why they told me I needed one in the IM, since I knew my IACV wouldn't cause me problems, my original Y8 wire harness has the right connector. There just trying to get me confused so I had to ask

Well I checked the head and transmision and found verry little:

*Stamps found on head
-96 (I'm guessing year? Which matches my cars year)
-P2J-5(a bit of Google, and it looks like it is an EX Y8 head)

*Stamps found on transmision (not a lot)
-P4R•2-1
-P4R #1
-6AN1092
-C051BC
-A4RA-50???? (This one was a bar code sticker located under the top transmision mount braket, unfortunately it was in bad shape and couldn't read the rest of the top code, bottom code is TP2R60,
A bit of research, an automatic transmision does come up, but can't verify if it's a vtec.)

Now, is the Y8 transmision really nedded? Or is it only to give the vtec it's full potencial? I'm sure its the Y8 there were no signs of trani removal, like the engine.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 PM

So yes, you have an EX head. It could also be an HX head, but I highly doubt it. If you want to be 100% sure, just pull the valve cover and look at the rockers. They should not be roller rockers.

I'm not a genius on autotragic transmission codes so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe P4R is the DX transmission. That won't work. You have to use an EX transmission if you want to stay automatic. Long story short, the TCU is integrated into the ECU, and if you tell an EX TCU to control a DX transmission, it gets angry.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Hysterically Calm

@94EG8 may be able to shed more light onto the autotragic. He seems pretty proficient with the older honda details.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok good! The head does NOT have roller rockeers, so I guess I'm good... and the cam gear is it fine or do I still need to change it?

Oh man... just in case I'll start looking to another transmission.

Thanks guys, I really apreciate the help!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Fish Twig

yes it is needed or else you'll be throwing codes for converter lockup and speed sensor b.s. Is there no VIN # on the tranny?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
yes it is needed or else you'll be throwing codes for converter lockup and speed sensor b.s. Is there no VIN # on the tranny?

Sadly there is no Vin number on the tranny, paid a visit to my local scrap jard and to my luck they had a D16Y8 (vtec) engine and transmision, the guy was asking $1200 even though he told me the engine had issues since metal shavings were found in the oil and would take my freshly rebuilt Y7 for $150 off... really ..... so it's not worth it. Took a closer look at the transmision and yet again no Vin number, only "B4RA" when mine is a "A4RA" a bit of Google research and turns out that BOTH transmisions are honda transmisions but can't verify for what model... the transmision they had was identical to mine, same connectors etc, and if I was interested to let them know and they would remove it for me..

I'm soooooo confused atm guys no joke, I seriously feel like a huge noob.

So to get things straight... the engine and head should be fine, all I need is a correct cam gear for the head right? And tranny IF it's not the right one correct...?

ATM I feel like getting rid of the hole car for a reasonable price..

Thanks!!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:59 AM

$1200 for an EX engine and transmission? :l mao::lma o: :l mao:

I want whatever he's smoking!

Yes, the engine and head should be fine. Yes, it looks like you need the correct cam gear. 14211-P2E-003 is the OEM part number, it's all of $27 new. Yes, you'll need to get the correct automatic transmission if that one isn't. On the plus side, the axles and everything are the same, so if there really isn't any way of telling, you could just install the transmission, give it some fluid, and see what happens. It's kind of a shitty answer, but unless someone chimes in with a good way to identify your transmission, it's all I can think of
Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Hysterically Calm

Yeah, the Y8 cam gear is a spoke like gear.

You can see the Y8 cam gear sitting on top of my B7 gear in this post here:

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d.../#post50652021
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Since the car is already an EX chances are it's got the right transmission in it now. Put it together and drive it. If it starts shifting weird and throwing codes after a week or so you may not have the right transmission.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
$1200 for an EX engine and transmission? :l mao::lma o: :l mao:

I want whatever he's smoking!

Yes, the engine and head should be fine. Yes, it looks like you need the correct cam gear. 14211-P2E-003 is the OEM part number, it's all of $27 new. Yes, you'll need to get the correct automatic transmission if that one isn't. On the plus side, the axles and everything are the same, so if there really isn't any way of telling, you could just install the transmission, give it some fluid, and see what happens. It's kind of a shitty answer, but unless someone chimes in with a good way to identify your transmission, it's all I can think of
I know right lol, I'll pay a visit tomorrow to picknpull Ive seen A LOT of cam gears laying around, hopefully I'll find one. If not I'll order one. As for timing I just align everything with the cam gear I have atm, then place the new one in place?

Tomcat thanks I see the difference now.

That's what I'm saying, the tranny didn't look like it was messed with when I got the car unlike the engine, I'll start to put everything back, hopefully my setup works fine at the end, man I really really hope so, fingers crossed
Old 12-15-2015, 03:54 PM

You should be fine on the transmission. I'd wager 100 to 1 that it's the right one, given the circumstances. As for the cam gear, any stock 96-00 Civic (non-SI) or Del Sol S or SI will hae the correct cam gear for you. Granted, if you find a 99-00 SI, or a Del Sol VTEC in the junk yard...uh, don't worry about it, just tell me what junk yard you found it in

To replace the cam gear, you'll have to remove the timing belt, so I wouldn't even bother installing everything with the wrong gear in there. You're just gonna have to do it all a second time if you do.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You should be fine on the transmission. I'd wager 100 to 1 that it's the right one, given the circumstances. As for the cam gear, any stock 96-00 Civic (non-SI) or Del Sol S or SI will hae the correct cam gear for you. Granted, if you find a 99-00 SI, or a Del Sol VTEC in the junk yard...uh, don't worry about it, just tell me what junk yard you found it in

To replace the cam gear, you'll have to remove the timing belt, so I wouldn't even bother installing everything with the wrong gear in there. You're just gonna have to do it all a second time if you do.
Hopefully, well yesterday I ended up placing the engjne and tranny in the car, most of it has been installed, just waiting to get the cam gear in a few hours, and yeah I'll let you know

One thing though... yesterday I took the head apart for cleaning and noticed deep scratches in it , I'll upload a pic later so you guys can judge . Lastly I'll upload a pic of the rockers as well since I also beleive they are severely worn.. :/

Thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Fish Twig

Than let us gamble, go ahead and complete the build and swap and have at it for a while to see if any CEL lights come on
Old 12-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ended up getting the correct cam gear (hopefully) I'll get the head cleaned up a bit and I'll start putting it back together.

EDIT: Wile removing the valves I noticed that 1 valve was hard to remove(not that hard but noticeable), turns out it's slightly bent... ... also ...

Slightly deep scratches... ummmm... well before I go out and buy a used head.. I'm going to go to picknpull and get my self a valve to replace the bad one for the mean time... would those scratches affect the head/engine in the future?

Last edited by Xextr3meX; 12-17-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a new valve, they are only $20
Old 01-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HELP!!!

Ok so I finished the build and we'll... THERE IS NO COMPRESSION on any of the cylinders...?? How can this happen, I mean I heard the car start up fine, and now nothing...

When I saw the car, the guy turned it on, took it home 3 days later, when I got the car home I noticed it had different spark plug wires, the ones I remembered were blue, I thought he had changed the head, so I ended up calling him, and told me he had changed nothing. And before I started taking the engin apart I decided to start it up and IT SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME as right now... So I'm guessing he did change the head.......

I'm stuck I have no idea what it could be... the engine block and pistons look great, cylinder walls are smooth, and pistons are in great condition, including rings, although there IS a bit of piston play within the cylinder, but no visible signs of piston knock etc. (My 05 altima has the same piston play and I was told it was normal by a mechanic, and still running strong..)And sadly the head looks great too.... valves look ok.... no visible craks, and a new head gasket..

At first I was certain my pressure gauge was broken, and its not, since I ended up testing it in my altima, I pour oil on the Pistons to see IF I would get some results nothing......

Is there anything else I should be checking out? Timing belt seems like I placed it correctly aswell..

Help will be highly apreciated like always, thanks!!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM

If you're getting zero compression on all four, then your mechanical timing is probably off. Line up the marks on the crank pulley, take pictures of that and the cam gear, and show us.

Quick Reply: Mini Me Build questions.. is it a mini me??