Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mileage on gauge cluster..... reset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mileage on gauge cluster..... reset?

is it possible to reset the milage on the gauge clusters?

-thanks

P.S. if your jus goin to tell me to do some research please dont post that reply here cause i am. cause last time i checked one of the reason why this forum is made so ppl like me can ask questions and learn. .
Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: milage on gauge cluster..... reset?

Why do you want to change the mileage on gauge clusters?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol.......i dont think the OP realizes thats illegal....
Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh cause im doing a swap. and i want the right milage on the clusters.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need to and should not change the odometer reading on the car when you do a swap. Just document the mileage when the swap is done.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what? thats illegal?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siopau
what? thats illegal?
What would stop a seller from changing the odometer reading to lower mileage on a car? Would you want this to be legal?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siopau
what? thats illegal?
yes...u cant tamper with any cluster technically because the chassis keeps the mileage in relationship to the title to the car... why dont you still have the original cluster the chassis came with? that will still have the correct mileage even though you swapped a newer motor in the car..

Ex. 156k mile civic gets a 75k motor, u dont now put 75k miles on the odometer and drive around like that..
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhhshiet... didnt think of that. aii thanks guys.

ill jus do what ron said... thanks for the help thou
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Taking a new cluster and matching it to the correct mileage on the chasis is illegal as well?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PunkRudeBoy
Taking a new cluster and matching it to the correct mileage on the chasis is illegal as well?
Not sure. But in many cases this can be done by swapping the original speedometer into the the new cluster. There's probably also a legal way to alter the odometer reading if it's justified and it's done through the proper legal channels.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I have read/ been told this depends on the state. Some states allow you to match the milage if the cluster failed for any reason.
Some states have places where the cluster can be sent to have this done for you.

This is what I have seen on HT, and been told by my dad's friend. He said some dealers will do it for you.

It's a grey area though, it could be legal or illegal. Your local DMV should be able to help you with it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mileage on gauge cluster..... reset?

You can not rollback the gauge cluster no matter what and technically they break when you do. What I have seen done is that when they purchase the motor they purchase the cluster to match from the car. This can be hard to do though...
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phat00civic
You can not rollback the gauge cluster no matter what and technically they break when you do. What I have seen done is that when they purchase the motor they purchase the cluster to match from the car. This can be hard to do though...
I would think there would be an issue when it came to transfering the title. Car was sold with 150k then transfered again with only 70k. Wouldnt add up in the DMV's eyes.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this would only matter if you planned to sell the car though wouldn't it?

plus 90% of the cars we drive on the street are illegal or have illegal things on them. woopee.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Master Detailer

That is when the TMU (true mileage unknown) comes into play.

As I said, Some states allow this. After just a quick 2 minute search, I found that you can, roll back, or forward to match the original mileage, however, some states will put TMU on the title.

I can't post the links now, but when I get home, and am able to find them again I will post them.

I have to disagree with Phat00civic, I know several people who rolled mileage back, and nothing broke. The cluster still does exactly what it did before.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think there would be an issue when it came to transfering the title. Car was sold with 150k then transfered again with only 70k. Wouldnt add up in the DMV's eyes.
Online records like Carfax will show when the last time the car was entered in and what it has. If in fact it is changed and record it will display that. In most reputable shops they will note that the gas gauge broke and the cluster was replaced. When you yourself do it, you should document it and have pictures as it is not the norm. I personally would just leave it alone unless something broke like I mentioned. If you were to sell the vehicle it would raise a red flag that is for sure.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
That is when the TMU (true mileage unknown) comes into play.

As I said, Some states allow this. After just a quick 2 minute search, I found that you can, roll back, or forward to match the original mileage, however, some states will put TMU on the title.

I can't post the links now, but when I get home, and am able to find them again I will post them.

I have to disagree with Phat00civic, I know several people who rolled mileage back, and nothing broke. The cluster still does exactly what it did before.
Technically it should break, the pins are only meant to bend one way and not the opposite. With everything now digital good luck rolling it back. I rather see a car have neon lights then a rolled back odometer...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by phat00civic
Technically it should break, the pins are only meant to bend one way and not the opposite. With everything now digital good luck rolling it back. I rather see a car have neon lights then a rolled back odometer...
I would as well. I have rolled 2 back, but In my mind both were for good reasons. I never rolled them back to show less miles then the car truly had.

1 cluster broke, matched new one to old. Sounded fine to me.
1 car was stolen, cluster was stolen. Friend had a pic of the cluster showing miles(was selling the car at the time it was stolen) and I rolled the new cluster forward to match the old one. Again, I felt that it wasn't wrong to do.

What I am talking about is rolling the new cluster back/forward to match the new ones miles. Not to show less miles then the car has.

OP, yes you can, if you truly wanted to, but I wouldn't. Just record the miles, and put it with the title or something. On the links I found it seems HT has had problems with people talking about doing so due to legality issues. I don't want to **** any mod's off, so I can't really tell you much.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a thread posted up on this site about Odometer Roll Back Laws.

It is LEGAL to roll an odometer in order to match the CHASSIS mileage. Say, for example, the original cluster is damaged or stolen.

It is ILLEGAL to roll an odometer in order to defraud another person. Rolling it to match the engine likely would fall under this category.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrong wrong wrrrrooonnnggg... Rolling back an odometer is not illegal. Selling the car and saying the mileage is correct is... My state, if the car is 10+ yrs old, odometer readings are not required for title issuance.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in iowa i have never seen the dot put the miles down on any of my cars i have owned lol i doubt its legal to rollback an odometer but it is possible ive seen it done before and it wont break your cluster if done right still doesnt make it legal though
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can do whatever you want to your car, just be upfront when you sell it. As someone stated above that if you claim the car has 50k to the seller but when you registered it it had 90k on the title then yeah, thats jail time. You can allways take it to the dealer and they mill match the miles on a new cluster. What else can you do if your speedo or heat gauge is broken?

If you are doing a swap you deff document the engine mileage. To change the cluster to an engine miles is just stupid. People allways go by the chassis miles. Think about it, if your moms camrys engine gets changed at the dealer they dont reset the miles to 0. If you reset the miles do it for personal reasons like if you rebuild the whole car and set the mileage to 0 to see how long you will drive it. It might make your car worth less later on but thats that.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If a gauge cluster needs to be replaced, the correct mileage should be noted somewhere (I have heard etching it on or near the doorjamb label is the normal method) but you ought to find out what your state requires.

Furthermore, if your state requires inspections the mileage may be recorded and reported to the state. If that's not the case, it's almost certain that the mileage is noted when the car is registered. Even if that's true there may be exceptions for older cars.

It made me angry when the idiots in my state placed a big red ODOMETER INACCURATE warning on my title when I provided the vehicle's mileage to them during inspection, since it exceeded 99,999 miles. The idiots didn't appreciate the car had a six digit odometer (a novel idea at the time) which showed exactly what I stated. Dopes. That odometer eventually recorded over 300,000 miles.

Having said that, here is a Craigslist posting that may be what you want: http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/2377926327.html

Clearly, it's immoral to misstate a car's mileage if you're selling it, likely illegal, and the penalties for doing so will vary by state, but all this ought to be obvious.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was actually searching the net for this very topic. I have an 06 Accord, and could have swore I read previously somewhere that in some cases when you switched out the odometer the onboard computer would automatically correct the mileage since it's stored in the ECU or whatever was stated, I wish I could find that old post somewhere. I need a new cluster, but don't want one saying I have over 100k miles more than my car has.

Quick Reply: mileage on gauge cluster..... reset?