Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

made an oops and now barely anything eletrical works.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made an oops and now barely anything eletrical works.

i was charging my battery and went to go close the hood and the positive shorted to the hood for a good couple seconds till i realized and reacted. now the only thing that works is the key in ignition sound, sometimes the horn, and the light for my alarm. head lights dont work and when i turn key to on and start positions, nothing happens. no lights no clicks.

first thought was fuses obviously, but ive checked all fuses under hood and dash and they are all look good.

then i was fiddling with the key and got it to come on and start so i could at least get the windows up. turned it off and wouldnt start again. maybe its the ignition switch? noticed the when turning the key its like a little rough and dirty in there. already have a push button start on the way.

maybe its the alarm?? when i push the regular lock/arm and unlock/disarm button the light doesnt change. i have the speaker unhooked but the light goes crazy which im guessing is the alarm going off, which would explain why it wont start. the alarm came with the car and everything worked properly except for the autostart. even bought new batteries thinking my clicker was dead.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: made an oops and now barely anything eletrical works.

check the under hood fuse's with a dvom and check for continuity some time's it's hard to see where there blown (should be a main and alt fuse ). try another battery in the car maybe yours is toast
Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: made an oops and now barely anything eletrical works.

I checked all the underhood fuses with a voltimeter and they are all good. I pulled out all the cabin fuses and they all looked good. I really think its the alarm as it gets power and does odd things. Plan on removing it and just having push button start and RFID. also doubt its the battery as its only a couple months old and it has the right voltage