Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loss of power (acceleration) in car

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power (acceleration) in car

I've notice that my car sometimes feel a little sluggish in acceleration. When I step on it in the morning when its cold, it pulls hard like it use too; but when its like a hot day, it feels a lot slower when I step on it. I changed the oil and filter with amsoil and a mobil 1 filter and also changed the spark plugs with ngk's and using the proper gap of .044. the car came with ngk plug wires as well.

Anyone know what I can do to fix or aid this????? I was thinking of doing those fuel injector cleaner additives. I work at autozone so I get a discount hahhahaha
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loss of power (acceleration) in car (doubleoazn03)

Car, engine, milage?

Have you taken a look into air and fuel filter recently? Gas millage seem normal? Have any cel's and does it give a little smoke at all?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loss of power (macson)

i looked at the air filter, it seemed pretty clean. The fuel filter, i havent checked that yet. and its a 92 honda civic si with about 180,000 miles on it.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your timming.. when cold the timming is off to warm the motor up but when warm usally hits top dead center.. check the timming..
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Loss of power (acceleration) in car

let me know how this turns out...im having a very similiar issue..
Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it's cold, the air is denser so you get more air in the cylinders, thus more power, and when it's hot, the air is less dense so you get less power. You might get more power when you replace worn out parts but it's pretty normal for that old of a car.

My 99 civic is the same; during cold weather it runs much better than during hot weather.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 PM
Trial User

I have a 2008 Honda Civic, I bought the car about a month and a half ago and I have been having problems with the acceleration for about half a month. When I bought it I would barely press on the gas and it had plenty of acceleration, but now I am almost having to have the pedal to the floor to get the same, as well as it just feels bogged down. Also occasionally I will go to press the gas and it feels like it has a dead spot then all the sudden everything is there at once. I know that problem is possibly the throttle body and/or the gas pedal itself, but would that explain the loss of power? I don't know if the car has ever been tuned up at 150k, which I do plan to do, but again don't know if the could be contributing to the loss where it was fine when I bought the car. I got into the car tonight and it kind of sounded like there was a leak in the exhaust, but I haven't had a chance to look into it, but again don't know if that could be as well, I doubt that one cause I haven't been in any situation that I could have gotten a hole, but am open to suggestions. Thanks and any help is appreciated
Old 11-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashton B
I have a 2008 Honda Civic, I bought the car about a month and a half ago and I have been having problems with the acceleration for about half a month. When I bought it I would barely press on the gas and it had plenty of acceleration, but now I am almost having to have the pedal to the floor to get the same, as well as it just feels bogged down. Also occasionally I will go to press the gas and it feels like it has a dead spot then all the sudden everything is there at once. I know that problem is possibly the throttle body and/or the gas pedal itself, but would that explain the loss of power? I don't know if the car has ever been tuned up at 150k, which I do plan to do, but again don't know if the could be contributing to the loss where it was fine when I bought the car. I got into the car tonight and it kind of sounded like there was a leak in the exhaust, but I haven't had a chance to look into it, but again don't know if that could be as well, I doubt that one cause I haven't been in any situation that I could have gotten a hole, but am open to suggestions. Thanks and any help is appreciated
Hi, I'm having this issue. Did you ever get it figured out or fixed? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/how-tos/a/hon...ate-tps-374868

also check mechanical timing ie crank/cam alignment.
jumped belt drove me crazy for months .8(

Old 11-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Default Need help. 99-00 Honda Civic ek shell with a 92-95 prelude engine H22

Hey new to this site I need help with a 99-00 Honda Civic ek shell with a 92-95 prelude engine H22 i need my power steering to work I brought the other night and it’s not on.
The guy I brought off said to me it’s a tight fit on with the civic shell but there is a special bracket made for it looking but I haven’t found anything can someone help me I would really appreciate it
Old 11-23-2021, 07:32 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: Need help. 99-00 Honda Civic ek shell with a 92-95 prelude engine H22

Originally Posted by ManuelTwinCams
Hey new to this site I need help with a 99-00 Honda Civic ek shell with a 92-95 prelude engine H22 i need my power steering to work I brought the other night and it’s not on.
The guy I brought off said to me it’s a tight fit on with the civic shell but there is a special bracket made for it looking but I haven’t found anything can someone help me I would really appreciate it
Start a new thread and be specific with the details of your car and the questions/problems you're having.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:01 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Gary67
Hi, I'm having this issue. Did you ever get it figured out or fixed? Thanks
I'm also having this issue , please how did you go about fixing the problem ?
Old 09-05-2022, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dis45
I'm also having this issue , please how did you go about fixing the problem ?
First step is creating a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

This thread is from 2008 and usually everyone that participated has moved on and doesn't look out for post notifications.

Your best bet is to create a new thread, explain your problem, and link to research or similar issues you find elsewhere as examples if required.