Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

I add coolant every month or so to the white plastic reservoir tank to keep it from going below the MIN line. From my pictures showing coolant residue, where was the coolant most likely to be coming out from? I have replaced the radiator, both upper&lower hoses, and the radiator cap with all brand new parts six months ago. First thing I did was "burp" the system when I replaced all these things to get rid of air. I did not replace thermostat as the old original one seemed to work (quick test I did was keeping my hand around the lower hose until car warmed up at which it'd then get hot and untouchable then eventually the fan would come on and off). Engine never overheats and engine temp needle never climbs above normal operating temp. Engine oil normal looking and not milky color. Coolant is blue like new and never discolored. I have driven this car every day and keep having to add coolant every month. Smells like antifreeze after driving sometimes because of it being sprayed on the exhaust manifold's heat shield as you can see in pics below. What troubleshooting steps would you do to determine what is causing this to happen?
Attached Images    
Old 12-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

Is that radiator cap aftermarket?
last time I used a Napa brand and it would not seal. Leak everywhere. Purchased OEM cap and no issue.
Need to get that cap pressure tested.. I'm guessing that's where the coolant are coming from.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

Yeah check cap
Old 12-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thirded, that radiator cap looks like a really really cheap unit.

You should also plan to do a tune up when the weather warms up, that distributor cap looks really worn
Old 12-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Looks like a cap, but you could diagnose with a loaner pressure tester from Autozone, etc.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps a crack in the neck for the cap...I've seen that before.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if the cap would jizz out that much coolant but, OEM is the only cap that will fit correctly. I had a Stant brand cap and it fit but, wouldn't secure as well as it should so, I purchased OEM and the tabs of the cap that fit into the filler neck opening slots were longer than the Stant and felt much more secure.

Pull your distributor off and check the heater hose underneath it that connects to the cylinder head. That hose is prone to splits and tears due to distributor O-ring leaking oil on it and deteriorating it.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the spray pattern. Coolant pooling on the radiator fan. Splashing on the exhaust heat shield, splash on the right side of the upper rad hose. All point to the cap leaking under the right side.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Look at the spray pattern. Coolant pooling on the radiator fan. Splashing on the exhaust heat shield, splash on the right side of the upper rad hose. All point to the cap leaking under the right side.
Yes..it shot quite the load. Might be the cap but, spray from a split hose can also deflect down from underside of the hood and cover most of the engine. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check the heater hose I suggested and purchase an OEM radiator cap.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed!
op should get OEM cap regardless. But doesn't hurt to check all the hoses for split and cracks.. Nonetheless, the car is old. Hoses do get worn out.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Agreed!
op should get OEM cap regardless. But doesn't hurt to check all the hoses for split and cracks.. Nonetheless, the car is old. Hoses do get worn out.
Pretty much every engine would benefit from all original coolant and heater hoses replaced at each 80k-100k mile mark to help prevent colant loss > overheating > head gasket failure.
With BMW's is basically a must to change out all coolant hoses, expansion tank and transmission thermostat (automatics).
Old 12-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

$50 on eBay will get you every hose you need

Old 01-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All, it is very likely NOT the cap since I've tried the OEM cap (see 1st new pic), that new aftermarket yellow/black Japanese cap everyone said looked cheap, and this new OEM "type" cap I ordered and have been using (see 2nd new pic). The leaking is the same with all three caps.

*My upper and lower radiator hoses are brand new (I put them on months ago). The leaking was happening BEFORE I put these new hoses on.
*The radiator was bought brand new months ago. The leaking was happening BEFORE I go a new radiator.
*Coolant is months and is the blue color it has always been.
*Radiator is filled with coolant always when I open the cap.
*The neck of the radiator looks good, 09chaplak.

Jimi Hondrix, how could this be a problem with my heater hoses? And they are in the back connecting to my heater core. That hose under distributor looks good with no coolant residue.

Could this be a sign of a failing water pump? The water pump has over 200 miles and is the original part. I did not replace when I changed timing belt since it turned smoothly which now I'm regretting.
Could this be a sign of a malfunctioning thermostat? The thermostat has over 200 miles and is the original part.

I guess I'll pressure test it this weekend, but I dont see that solving the mystery. I think it will hold good pressure. The problem is something causing overpressure, something malfunctioning and forcing coolant out of the top of the radiator unless it is just a leak.
Attached Images   

Last edited by WaryDriver; 01-04-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added another pic
Old 01-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. Let's see. At which point in the drive did you notice the coolant start to spray out? If you idle the car and hold the throttle open, simulating increase load. Can you spot the leak? After you clean up the old spray that is. Does it take a couple of days to get notice or can one drive around the block, on a warmed up engine, be enough to tell?
i still think its coming from below the cap. Check the rubber hose going from radiator to the reservoir for crack.

The next time you drive around and start noticing the coolant smell, pull over, leave the engine running. Pop the hood and be extremely, extremely, careful. Look to see where its spraying.
Spraying underload or can you replicate it from idling state. You may find the leak during that time..

The OEM cap you tried, is that new or used?
I'm asking because, in my past issue the OEM cap on my car had broken the seal off. Went to get an aftermarket one for a quick fix and it sprayed coolant everywhere, at idling. Not even underload. Replaced with an Honda OEM cap. No more issue, still going strong..
Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I didn't notice, how old is the radiator?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I didn't notice, how old is the radiator?
he mentioned it being brand-new from months ago. Maybe a small leak at the weld along the right side?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

There would be stains of coolant at the seam if it were coming from the plastic top.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by tony_2018
There would be stains of coolant at the seam if it were coming from the plastic top.
Yeah, wasn't sure if it could crack down low and spray more downward or if it can only crack up top so coolant lies around the clamp downs every time no matter what.

My other thought is a pin hole in the metal portion. If it were the cap, there should be coolant signs on the top of the rad too, not just the surrounding hoses and exhaust shield. Cap should look very similar to if the top tank cracked.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Fish Twig

I actually have that issue happen, its getting replaced with a mishimoto, slim fan shroud and a spal 12" puller. Waiting for it to arrive.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
$50 on eBay will get you every hose you need

Truthly, not all silicone hoses are built the same. There are some downfalls varying, some were cheaply made and others were done right. Its too soon to say that your kit is running fine as you just bought it not too long ago. I'd give it a couple yrs and than take them back out to inspect.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Hysterically Calm

Truthly, not all silicone hoses are built the same. There are some downfalls varying, some were cheaply made and others were done right. Its too soon to say that your kit is running fine as you just bought it not too long ago. I'd give it a couple yrs and than take them back out to inspect.
Good advice, I noticed the expensive kits are 4 ply hoses and I suspect built well.

The cheap kits tend to be 3 ply, possibly less and may quite well be the questionable ones.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Fish Twig

I really wanted a full kit but nobody sells one, would be badass to NOT have to worry about coolant lines FOREVER. autobahn88 has a kit for the dc/db integra's that covers the heater hoses but none for the civics, just the radiator hoses. Bummer...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Hysterically Calm

I really wanted a full kit but nobody sells one, would be badass to NOT have to worry about coolant lines FOREVER. autobahn88 has a kit for the dc/db integra's that covers the heater hoses but none for the civics, just the radiator hoses. Bummer...
The samco set I pulled off my parts car included the heater hoses, I believe a 9 piece set. Where the sets don't seem to cover is the small coolant hoses from the head to FITV and IACV, Nor do they have one for the coolant recovery to radiator.

I saw a 12 piece set on aliexpress last year, but doing a bit more research I think it might have been a D series set for a turbo.

Name:  UT8lC3jXnhbXXagOFbXM.jpg
Views: 4308
Size:  59.1 KB

12PCS Heater Radiator Coolant Silicone Hose Kit For K6 K8 Honda Civic SOHC D15 / D16 EG EK 1992~1997 8 Colors For Option
Old 01-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Fish Twig

Ah..Samco is one I forgot to look at.

Thanks for that.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Fish Twig

Oh snap....

Quick Reply: Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant