Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loose harmonic balancer, Damaged crank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose harmonic balancer, Damaged crank?

94 Civic 1.6 D16Z6, Rebuilt engine 4k miles ago

So after i rebuilt my engine, i reused the original harmonic balancer, and guess i didnt tighten it enough, it came loose, i began to notice a rubbing sound, so i pulled the tire off, and sure enough i felt the harmonic balancer pretty loose, i noticed the keyway on the pulley got wore out, so i bought another key and harmonic balancer, installed them, and the engine runs

but i feel its vibrating a bit too much, i put a stethoscope to the valve cover and can hear a faint knocking from the front of the engine, as opposed to the rear i only hear the valvetrain ticking away...... (Which i think is a little loud, but i keep reading that these engines should sound like a typewriter LOL)

Could the harmonic balancer being loose damage new bearings and the crank?
My thoughts are to pull the engine, replace the crank, and replace the lower bearings, then put it back together

But ive got so much noise coming from the A/T even in Park & idling, it whines so damn loud & i think its gonna blow up, i hear noise like a bad bearing, but both of my front bearings are new, tightened down and dont sound bad or tight............. but if i hit 60-80mph, it sounds like i got blown wheel bearings, and feels like theres a bit too much Drag from something applying Brake-like pressure to the front end of the vehicle
Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Loose harmonic balancer, Damaged crank?

Did you install the timing belt guide plates properly?

Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

You would be advised to check the crank pulley bolt again. It is also quite feasible that the outer timing belt guide plate may be deformed or damaged when the pulley came loose initially, depending on the miles driven while loose. Also, the drive belts will have been damaged to some degree by the thrust forces needed to retain the pulley on the crank keyway while running. I suggest that you remove the front pulley and timing cover and inspect both guide plates for damage, as well as the cam belt.

Also, check the crank bolt for thread damage and make sure there is no oil/dirt/etc. between the bolt's thrust washer and the crank pulley. Check your valve timing at TDC when reinstalling the pulley and rotate the engine manually using the tightened pulley bolt (or the correct tool), through a rotation back to #1 firing with the belt tensioner fully tightened.

I have found that although you can set up any cam belt exactly on the marks when loose-fitted initially that after rotating the motor through a complete cycle back to #1 firing, the timing marks may be out 1 tooth. (This may apply more so to dual cam motors, like ZC DOHC or B-series.) As the length of belt from the crank pulley to the nearest cam pulley tightens, it advances that cam shaft 1 tooth when the belt tightens.

There could also be considerable belt damage and/or stretching of them that would create a slapping noise and they should be checked and readjusted.

When the crank pulley is removed, also check the key (remove it), and check for deformity of shape and if it is a tight fit in the crank slot, and the pulley keyways.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i put the guides as pictured about, as putting it backwards would cause damage to the belt

im deffinately going to pull it apart again, because i didnt like what i heard through the stethoscope, i hear a faint knock from Cyl 1 / Front of the engine, and i used an impact gun to tighten down the bolt, it appeared to be fine, and the old key was bent to hell, im just wondering if running it with a loose balancer will damage the crankshaft and the bearings, after i put it all back together, it ran fine, no obvious knocks.. the noise i hear wasnt audible weeks ago, so somethings getting worse
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Does it make any difference to the knocking sound when you engage it in D or R vs. in Neutral?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Does it make any difference to the knocking sound when you engage it in D or R vs. in Neutral?
it gets louder under load from the transmission
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Hmm...Try different gear, D, R,1,2,3,4.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Hmm...Try different gear, D, R,1,2,3,4.
Doesnt matter what gear i put it into, the ticking gets loud under load, ill end up pulling the engine again eventually after i replace the transmission in my truck (My business vehicle)

But i did discover the transmission is Shot, Came back after a day of letting it sit, and theres a pool of tranny fluid under the car, and its falling from the bottom side of the transmission, im deffinately swapping it out Soon, because i need one vehicle to get me by until the truck is finished, it may break anyday, but it hasnt yet so i havent spent the money to fix it

And both the brand new wheel bearings are blown too..... LOL