Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Its time for a head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its time for a head gasket

My 1998 civic has 380K miles....the head gasket has a small leak...blowing air into the radiator the filling the overflow. I have been driving it with the headache of dumping the overflow back into the radiator after 100 miles or so.

So do I have any issue with the lower end blowing if I put in a new head gasket? I understand there is no guarantee.....

How do I determine if the head needs attention?

How many hours should it take......I've not done one before but I do my own timing belts....and used to race motocross and rebuild bike motors years ago....

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Its time for a head gasket

As long as you put the gasket on right, and your bottom end is fine right now, then no you shouldnt blow your bottom end. although 380k is a tired motor. It all depends on if you maintained the motor well.
As for the head, if you hear any unusual sounds, like a knock or tick then it would be a good idea to inspect the internals.
Since you've never done this before expect all day.

If you have the funds, might as well pick up another motor. Plenty of cheap honda motors out there with less than 100k on them.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your headgasket is blown, you'll need to resurface the head so it is true. The only reason for a headgasket to fail is a warped head, which occurs when you overheat.

Resurface the head or don't, your car, your decision. Just know that if you don't, you'll most likely be doing this job over again.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohmega
The only reason for a headgasket to fail is a warped head, which occurs when you overheat.
Are you saying that if the head stays true, the thin viton rubber coating on the OEM MLS head gaskets will last forever and never degrade, weaken or deteriorate?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:15 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ohmega
The only reason for a headgasket to fail is a warped head, which occurs when you overheat.
Not true. Not at all true. Not even remotely true. Please don't feed misinformation. It's a recent trend that's becoming a major issue around here.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP: before you pull the head do a compression test to find out if there's compression loss. A compression test doesn't definitively determine a blown head gasket but, will let you know if you have a possible cylinder ring(s) leak or a leak in the head gasket between cylinders (atop water jacket). Good idea to do a block test before pulling the head to confirm exhaust gases in coolant (head gasket breech) and to do another block test after head gasket replacement to confirm successful head gasket seal.

When cylinder head is removed clean it with a razor blade as shown in the vieo below and then check it for warpage (in video aslo). Check top of block for warpage (in video).
If, the head is warped (and most likely is) take it to a machine shop to have it:
1. cleaned
2. check for cracks
3. resurfaced
4. valve lapp job
5. new valve stem seals inserted (you supply valve stem seals)

Purchase Honda OEM gaskets: head gasket, intake manifold, exhaust manifold. Check prices on HondaPartsNow. Will need new head bolts, valve stem seals, cam o-ring/gasket.

Dowload the Honda FSM (Field Service Manual) (LINK TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED) This is your go-to guide
The vids below are for assistance, visual demonstration and tips:

HG diagnosis and explanation:

HG replacement video:

Great tips to do it right the first time:

Admins: please consider adding this to the How-To section

Last edited by TomCat39; 12-12-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Removing Liability Issue
Old 12-13-2015, 02:25 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
OP: before you pull the head do a compression test to find out if there's compression loss. A compression test doesn't definitively determine a blown head gasket but, will let you know if you have a possible cylinder ring(s) leak or a leak in the head gasket between cylinders (atop water jacket). Good idea to do a block test before pulling the head to confirm exhaust gases in coolant (head gasket breech) and to do another block test after head gasket replacement to confirm successful head gasket seal.

When cylinder head is removed clean it with a razor blade as shown in the vieo below and then check it for warpage (in video aslo). Check top of block for warpage (in video).
If, the head is warped (and most likely is) take it to a machine shop to have it:
1. cleaned
2. check for cracks
3. resurfaced
4. valve lapp job
5. new valve stem seals inserted (you supply valve stem seals)

Purchase Honda OEM gaskets: head gasket, intake manifold, exhaust manifold. Check prices on HondaPartsNow. Will need new head bolts, valve stem seals, cam o-ring/gasket.

Dowload the Honda FSM (Field Service Manual) (LINK TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED) This is your go-to guide
The vids below are for assistance, visual demonstration and tips:

HG diagnosis and explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHnoEq9tv9Q

HG replacement video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUw5Vm-tnQ

Great tips to do it right the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06l5jHMZt0Y

Admins: please consider adding this to the How-To section
^^ These two, as well: (Particularly the second one)

Old 12-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My motto is: don't teach..defer (videos)...lol
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the information. I will read through it and proceed over the holiday.....

For the record, I am a sales Rep so most of the miles are highway. I purchased the car with 138K on it and have run Mobil 1 since that time.

Are the head bolts/studs OEM or can I get them from a supply house?

Thanks

Rick
Old 12-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Get OEM bolts, or get ARP studs. Either way works. I wouldn't personally trust anything else.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info......I've been doing my homework with research on other threads....

I see two types of HG one specifically for "replacement" is there any downside to this? Also If I am reading correctly it would take special bolts or use the ARP bolts.......

Thoughts and best place to purchase?

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP: you didn't list your model (LX, DX,EX) or your transmission type but, it looks like this head gasket fits all models. Use OEM headgasket: Nippon MLS (multi-layered steel) 12251-P2J-004 - Honda Parts Now (search your model)

Head bolts are TTY (torque to yield) a.k.a stretch bolts: 90008-PZ1-003 - Honda Parts Now (search your model) and price is per bolt.

ARP brand are studs.. and they use a nut (not a bolt head ) to tighten down the head. Also, unlike TTY bolts which are one time use only, ARP studs can be used multiple times.
ARP studs are much more expensive but are resuseable and better for engines if power gains are desired... so, it a trade-off.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Rick1t
Thanks for the info......I've been doing my homework with research on other threads....

I see two types of HG one specifically for "replacement" is there any downside to this? Also If I am reading correctly it would take special bolts or use the ARP bolts.......

Thoughts and best place to purchase?

Thanks
Rick
You have a 6th gen civic, as far as I know, Honda went all MLS by this time for head gaskets. There isn't a TSB replacement leak gasket for the 6th gen's that I am aware of. You may be confusing the TSB leak gasket replacement meant for 5th gen and earlier non vtec civics. They used a graphite gasket which is known to leak earlier in the life span than MLS gaskets.

If you are in the states, you can do online OEM dealers like Majestic Honda Parts or Hondapartsnow.com

But you also have the option of finding quality parts at good prices with rockauto.com and autopartsway.com

There are many times you can find OEM parts on autopartsway.com. I find out the OEM manufactuer from hondapartsnow.com and then see if that brand is listed on autopartsway. It's how I found my ishino head gasket for a reasonable price.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
OP: you didn't list your model (LX, DX,EX) or your transmission type but, it looks like this head gasket fits all models. Use OEM headgasket: Nippon MLS (multi-layered steel) 12251-P2J-004 - Honda Parts Now (search your model)

Head bolts are TTY (torque to yield) a.k.a stretch bolts: 90008-PZ1-003 - Honda Parts Now (search your model) and price is per bolt.

ARP brand are studs.. and they use a nut (not a bolt head ) to tighten down the head. Also, unlike TTY bolts which are one time use only, ARP studs can be used multiple times.
ARP studs are much more expensive but are resuseable and better for engines if power gains are desired... so, it a trade-off.
ARP isn't really that much more expensive. The set is around 100 bucks, OEM bolts are typically about 10 bucks a bolt.....

Also ARP has Bolts too if you prefer head bolts, just the studs are better and easier so are more popular.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 PM

They used to be, but went down pretty significantly. OEM are only $2.29 per bolt from Majestic, or $3 and some change on Amazon. P# 90008-PZ1-003. For a basic rebuild, there's nothing wrong with just using new OEM bolts.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Hysterically Calm

Oh wow, lucky USA. They are still 10 bucks a bolt here in Canada from the stealership. With hondapartsnow and shipping even with the exchange rate, might be a better deal than the stealership.

Will have to pay closer attention to the State OEM sites.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Or just Amazon. Like I said, $3 there. Honestly, probably cheaper overall to get them from Amazon anyway, since Majestic charges an arm and a leg for shipping (and handling. Who the **** charges for handling nowadays?) That's why I always say get the P# from Majestic, put the P# in Google, and shop around.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Oh wow, lucky USA. They are still 10 bucks a bolt here in Canada from the stealership. With hondapartsnow and shipping even with the exchange rate, might be a better deal than the stealership.

Will have to pay closer attention to the State OEM sites.
HondaPartsNow pretty much beats all others in OE/OEM prices.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

We shop around dude, thats the only way to save. Some argue that auto zone, and others alike, are ok parts but I find oem parts online is a better deal than any.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tom Cat & other helpful experts

My Civic 1998 EX 5-Speed Manual

I looked up the bulletin Tom Cat you are correct......the special gasket was for earlier models

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found great prices at Honda parts now...........

My local Upull junk yard has several civics my vintage.....is there any wisdom in getting a head with less miles....they want $40.00 for them. What would a machine shop typicaly charge to do a resurface?

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any wisdom in getting a head with less miles.
No
1) The mileage on the head(s) at the junk yard may could be different from the mileage on the odometer
2) They could have cracks or other issues your's might not have
3) Why go through the trouble and cost of pulling one from a junkyard when you have a free one that needs to come off anyway?

What would a machine shop typicaly charge to do a resurface?
Ask the machine shop to clean, resurface, valve lapp, install new valve stem seals and cam seal: you supply cam and valve stem seals (HondaPartsNow)
Should cost between $200-$350.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Fish Twig

All I have to say is, do it right the first time and don't skip a step or you'll end up like someone who took 3/4 threads and a more than a dozen pages just to replace a head.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jimi
With the balance of the motor having 380K miles does spending that much on the valves make sense? or would making sure the head is not warped enough?

I appreciate your wisdom.....
Old 12-18-2015, 06:57 AM
Fish Twig

Jimi
With the balance of the motor having 380K miles does spending that much on the valves make sense? or would making sure the head is not warped enough?

I appreciate your wisdom.....
My opnion, with that many miles a rebuilt of the head would be wise, new valve stem seals and guides and clean up the valves if they aren't too damaged. But the block would also need to be rebuilt as well.

Quick Reply: Its time for a head gasket