Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

injector noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Party Pooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector noise?

I dont really know much about engines/transmission so I'll do my best to explain my problem. Please just try and help me out with some of problems instead of insulting me for my ignorance or asking me to search. (Its hard to enter the right search term for my problems)

the culprit. 1999 honda civic sedan ex. stock everything.

Whenever Im cruising in 5th gear on the highway, sometimes I can hear like a 'spraying' noise whenever I press in the gas pedal. Im wondering if this is supose to be the injectors spraying gas into the engine chamber or something? And is this suppose to be normal? (As in, is it normal for me to be able to hear this? Why cant I hear it in 1-4 gears?) 1-4 gears, all I hear is the engine revving whenever i press the gas pedal, but 5th gear, there is no 'rev', just this spraying sound. Its not really loud, It can only be heard if Im trying to listen for that sound.

Sometimes, Its impossible for me to shift into 1st. Like, the shifter will NOT go into first..I cant explain it......It feels as if something is blockin the shifter from going into 1st.....So sometimes I have to start the car in 2nd gear from a red light. I notice that whenever this happens, I just shift the car into 2nd, then it will shift back into 1st no problem. I dont know if this is a good long term solution though.....

Is it suppose to be harder to shift into reverse gear? Cause I take more effort to shift into reverse gear than 1st gear while the car is not moving. Normal? Sometimes, it feels as if the shifter is in reverse gear, but when i start releasing the clutch and pressing the gas, I hear this really loud grinding noise. I have to shift back to neutral and put it in reverse gear again...this time really making sure its in reverse......

How do I know when its time for a new clutch? The car has 92k miles and the previous owner never changed the clutch once. I heard someone telling me its time to change when it starts 'slippin'. Well if you havent notice by now, this is my first time owning a manual, Ive never felt a 'slippin' clutch before so I wouldnt know even if I have it.

EDIT: I also remembered, my passenger side door/area is creaking and making squeeky noises alot lately...I think it might have something to do with the engine noise/vibrations...I dont know why

and I notice sometimes when pushing in the clutch, I can hear the 'spring' noise and sometimes I cant......
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Party Pooper

Default Re: injector noise? (pho iz good)

help
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Party Pooper

t.t
Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oook... well first the reason your car "wont" go into first sometimes is because of the syncros pretty much what you gotta do is put it in 2nd (or whatever gear it will go into) then put it in 1st... same with reverse.. just slam it in to reverse theres no syncro for reverse so just slam it if it still doesnt then put it in 5th (or again whatever gear you get in to) then go in reverse.

as for the "spraying" i dont really know wha tyour talking about all i can think of is its just the intake and your hearing the motor trying to suck air in (reason its not loud is because of the resinators in the intake) explain the sound... is it higher pitch lower pitch? what kind of "spraying"

as for a slipping clutch its easy to notice if you know wha tyour feeling for.. pretty much what happens when the clutch slips is it well slips it doesnt grab the flywheel and turn the gears like its suposed to..... say when your in 2nd or 3rd gear at a higher rpm and you punch it and the motor revs up but you dont go anywhere near as fast as the motor revs up... you need a new clutch... but by that tim you probably wouldent be able to drive the car, its hard to explain a slipping clutch to a first time clutch owner... have someone who has been around clutch cars drive it and tell you
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Party Pooper

Default Re: injector noise? (95_acc0rd)

have you ever put your thumb or finger over a running house and it starts to spray harder/further? thats what it sounds like......the psssssss sound

thats the best i can describe the spraying sound....

and is it normal for me to hear springy sound when i push my clutch in?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought i had injector noise/valve ticking for the longest time. Turns out it was an exhaust leak.

Check your valve clearances, look for carbon buildup on your exhaust piping/header/cat and make sure you don't have a leak.

A real common leak for ~100k miles civic are the donut gasket at the cat/header.

You're chances are much better for an exhaust leak than honda's valve clearances being off. Especially if your engine has lower miles. After 130k my valve lash clearances were perfect.