Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IMPOSSIBLE axle nut...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMPOSSIBLE axle nut...

I cannot break the right front axle nut. I swear my car sat in a wet field for a long time... which may explain why it only has 111,000 on a 92 economy car. Anyways, we broke one socket wrench and 3 1/2" drive breaker bars. We used WD40 and PB Blaster, heated it for a good 10 mins and nothing...

I need to get this damn thing out, I don't care about the axle, what can I do?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plasma cutter.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

With that you run the risk of damaging the hub itself. Theres really no way to get to it from the front if you were to try and cut it, but you may be able to plasma cut it from the rear maybe.

Just cut off the rubber CV boot to avoid melting it to the hub.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Red_EM2)

either get a big *** impact gun on it, and or try to cut the nut in half
Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really have access to a plasma cutter. I'm thinking either get a 32mm with a 3/4" drive or an impact wrench but both will be a pain to get ahold of. Any other ideas?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (7808)

I have used a cutoff wheel on one before. The hub was already off the car and my impact didn't budge it. Plus the little **** that you bend in to keep it from spinning was so tight I couldn't get anything to pry it up.

Be careful. You should be able to cut enough without damaging hub or axle and loosen the steel to break it enough then it should come off easier.

Have fun those are a bitch.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fizix_skate)

Liquid nitrogen + hammer FTW!

"Hasta la vista, baby."
Old 08-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a plasma torch, do you honestly believe I'll have liquid Nitrogen?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the rudeness. We worked on that damn thing for at least 5 hours. I owe 3 buddies breaker bars...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut... (fizix_skate)

i took mine to a local tire place and got it popped off for free!!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut... (verycleanhatch)

If you need someone to just break it loose. If your in So. Cal. Ill break it loose for you, put it back so you could drive home and finish.

Also make sure that the tab isnt down. If its down that nut will never come off.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem. NOTHING could take it off, I pretty much tried everything. So I ended up cutting it off. Be careful though and not hit the hub or the spindle thing. Good luck, I know its a pain in the ***.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Re: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut... (libero)

well, not sure if this will help you, but i did this.....................i did alot of searching on the matter, saw other honda techers did this..............put your breaker bar on there, and here's the good part, jack up the breaker bar in the direction that would loosen the axle nut with a floor jack. it popped the accord axle nut loose no problemo whatsoever. hope this works for you, it won't hurt your back either. keep me posted to if it helped or not.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut... (delslowhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslowhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, not sure if this will help you, but i did this.....................i did alot of searching on the matter, saw other honda techers did this..............put your breaker bar on there, and here's the good part, jack up the breaker bar in the direction that would loosen the axle nut with a floor jack. it popped the accord axle nut loose no problemo whatsoever. hope this works for you, it won't hurt your back either. keep me posted to if it helped or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this sounds like a good idea........but if it dont work u can take it to ur local place were they work on heavy equitment...... they will have a breaker bar the size of ur car haha... thats what i had to do...... i have a buddy whos dads owns a construction co. so i had easy acess.... not sure if u can get one though....... its worth a try
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried everything too, til I got to tired and barrowed a compressor and impact gun and took it off in seconds, thats the best way
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut... (JDM_EjONE)

i just took the whole thing out, and upgrade my breaks.. some dumb *** that changed the axles before i bought the car, decided to brake a flat head screw driver in the axle nut.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:42 PM

even an impact gun wont get you nearly as much torque a breaker bar and extension...
Go to Home Depot, get a 6' steel pipe (about $11)
Go to Sears, get a CRAFTSMAN 3/4" breaker bar (so that if you break it, you can come back and theyll replace it. So however much you weigh times 6 is the amount of torque ur puttin on that nut, and that is without hopping on the bar at all.. That is exactly what I did, took about 800-900 lb-ft, which is way out of the range of most impact guns. Try that, I'm 100% sure it will work for you.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verycleanhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i took mine to a local tire place and got it popped off for free!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This what I did too, After 2 busted tools and 2 bent bars.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if its drivable take it to a shop, when i have bolts i can't break i run down to meineke really early and they'll get em off for me for free.

goodluck
Old 08-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (professor poon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professor poon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even an impact gun wont get you nearly as much torque a breaker bar and extension...
Go to Home Depot, get a 6' steel pipe (about $11)
Go to Sears, get a CRAFTSMAN 3/4" breaker bar (so that if you break it, you can come back and theyll replace it. So however much you weigh times 6 is the amount of torque ur puttin on that nut, and that is without hopping on the bar at all.. That is exactly what I did, took about 800-900 lb-ft, which is way out of the range of most impact guns. Try that, I'm 100% sure it will work for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive broke craftman breaker bars with huge pipes, then i just rolled it up to a shop nearby, there large impact gun took it right off.. it not just about tourque, its the hammering shaking effect the gun puts on it that breaks it loose
Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (7808)

ahh, good old axle nut problem..

first off..

Step 1.. PB BLASTER + LIQUAD WERNCH, let it soak for a day, spray it over and over ever 5-6 hours.

Step 2.. bang out the axle wall/notch (duh)

Step 3.. get a breaker bar + axle socket and put it so you can STAND on the break bar..

pulling the bar up you will not get even close to the right tourqe, you have to bounce on your bar.

step 4.. done.

I have done 4 axle jobs in the past month, i have always used a break bar i got at carquest which costed 14.99 and a snap on socket. I have never broken a tool.

i live in new england.

If you can't get it off.. then you have some serious bitch muscles

Also.. a plasma cutter is ******* stupid.. please kill yourself.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

air hammer with pencil point nut splitter. break it in less than 5 minutes
Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: fountain inn, sc. where they still rock banjos on porches, usa

ooo, ooo, this is a easy one. everyone has the right idea. but the easiest way to remove it since i used to live in upstate ny which is the land of the rock salt roads and rusted cars.

first get yourself all the proper tools:
32mm socket - advance auto $14.95
craftsman breaker bar - $29.99 (lifetime warranty it breaks you get a new one.)
stock steelie rim w/tire of course.(junkyard $10-$15 if you don't have one)

now put the rim on the car and make sure the center caps is not on. lower the car, have someone on the brakes and the e-brake on. the socket will fit thru the center part and break it free. make sure the dent part of the nut is undented (if that's make sense). now use the weight of the car as a counter weight in removing it. and when you going to tighten the bolt. you can use the same process but don't over tighten it.

again this works very good on new york cars since the are all rusted to ******* hell. lol.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I could do it if I had a 3/4" drive 32mm socket but I don't have the money to buy one right now. We got the engine out without taking the axle nut off and I guess I'll just let it sit until I find someone with a bigger drive socket.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (fizix_skate)

leave a deposit at autozone for the socket and the ball joint splitter, when you take them back you get your money back, and therefore you're not out any cashola.

Quick Reply: IMPOSSIBLE axle nut...