Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition coil keep burning and suddenly dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:39 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition coil keep burning and suddenly dead

Hello Master,
I have Honda Civic 95 ferio 1.6cc manual non vtec. The problem begin when my honda fuel consumption is very high double than normal it should. All comment below are use the OBD1 distributors.

1. I sent it to honda service center and they replaced plug oil seal and adjust tappets. after complete they put all back in, the car won't start as normal and everything getting worst and worst. Service center surrendered to check further.
2. Towed my honda to another workshop and mechanic advise to change half cut engine that I use now "engine only" without wiring. So I swapped for sohc vtec engine. after install same symptom happens again. The mechanic try to figure out the problems and replace plug cable, plugs, distributor etc. the problem still occur. About 3 months in workshop.
3. I took my car to another workshop which this workshop mostly honda cars. mechanic do same thing again replace distributor, customize it and check plug fuel flow reading error bla bla bla. Still can't fix it. 2 and half months in there.
4. Took my car again to another workshop (luckily my car had insurance covered for tow) which has computer box checker. And again replace another distributor and new plug. the engine back alive for a while and dead with the same symptom. 3 distributors had been changed so far. 3 months stuck there.
5. Towed again to another workshop which my car in there right now. Changed harness sohc vtec wiring and dashboard wiring, retape wiring cables properly, check fuel pump, fuel host and changed the distributor again. The engine back alive and let it idle but after 20 mins idling the engine dead, so he opened the distributor and the coil is burned. Replaced the coil and the engine back alive and dead after 20 minutes idling. Yesterday I bought rechip ECU P27 vtec and will install it tomorrow. Only ECU I haven't change yet since this car problem. And of course distributor need to be replaced again or you have an idea whether I just need change ICM and coil of my faulty distributor? or check other things first?

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you
Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Ignition coil keep burning and suddenly dead

Wow you need to find some better mechanics. Bad contact from the coil to the cap will burn out the output tower end of the coil where the spring is supposed to be touching the cap. Also if the spark wires cap or rotor are bad that puts a lot of stress on the coil.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
Wow you need to find some better mechanics. Bad contact from the coil to the cap will burn out the output tower end of the coil where the spring is supposed to be touching the cap. Also if the spark wires cap or rotor are bad that puts a lot of stress on the coil.
^Listen to mk.

Don't install a new coil until you do a complete ignition system tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor).

Also verify that the inner cover is still present inside the distributor:

Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
Originally Posted by RonJ
^Listen to mk.

Don't install a new coil until you do a complete ignition system tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor).

Also verify that the inner cover is still present inside the distributor:

If I may inquire, reading the post, it seems like the cap and distributor have been replaced 3 or more times.

Am I missing something that would indicate it's a faulty connection between the coil and cap that is causing the issue?

Also wouldn't the new coil likely fix the faulty connection to the cap (which I assume has been new 3 times over)?