Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Huh? A Honda master key?

Old 06-07-2002, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (Mike K)

for a tad bit more info...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=202388
Old 06-07-2002, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (Mike K)

A brake code is a sequence of times you press the brake and turn the car in the on position then back off. It basically kills the immobilizer for a little while.
Wouldnt you still need the key to turn the car to the on position?
Old 06-07-2002, 11:42 AM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (Super7)

A screwdriver works just fine
Old 06-07-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (sgT)

i hope there isn't such a thing like that out there...better start protectin the cars
Old 06-07-2002, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (sgT)

A screwdriver works just fine
Yea, but Im assuming that at a dealership they wouldnt be using a screwdriver?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (Super7)

OK ...even if the MASTER KEY doesnt exist ( i think it does but have never witness one) ...there are lock picking sets and guns that are just as effective if not more ,as they will work on anything not just one manufactuer...they come in different kinds...ones for tumbler locks ,etc etc....you have to have a liscense of some sort in order to purchse them though....a company in scottsdale arizona called COBRA used to make some of em....i got there phone # but i think they went out of business...it doesnt work anymore
Old 06-08-2002, 02:27 AM
New User

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (Eyewitness)

GM sold a car in europe called the nova, where if u took out the hazard warning light switch and replaced it upside down, all the ignition lights came on and the car could be push started
Old 06-08-2002, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (ben_vtec)

key does exist... back in hs when i knew a couple of people who jacked cars they had the master key for hondas, acuras, lexus and bmw... they flashed it out a couple of times showing it off ect ect ect ect...

note this was back in 96 when technology was not up to par as today...
Old 06-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key? (serenity)

i work at honda and have never seen/heard of any such thing.........we can cut keys by vin and use the brakes codes but that's it.............
Old 06-10-2002, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Huh? A Honda master key?

I used to be a Parts Manager for a Honda Dealership back in the early 90s. The master key is a key that works in the steering column (starts the engine), opens the doors, trunk/hatch, glove box, or fuel door (older models). When you bought a new Honda, you got two "master" keys and a "valet" key. The valet key was meant for (duh) a parking valet to use. It only opened the doors and worked in the steering column. It could not open the glove box, trunk or fuel door. The difference in the keys was in the very tip of the key where the master had an extra bump and the valet did not. It was supposed to keep the valet from poking around in your car and stealing anything.

There is absolutely no "master" key or set of keys that opens and starts a variety of Hondas/Acuras. Anyone who says they have one is full of ****. Period. They have watched too many friggin movies and want to be a big shot. Either that or they have a little dick and a big ego... I'll personlly put up $1000 for anyone who can show me one key that works in more than five Hondas/Acuras that I pick.

There is a key code for your car that tells the dealership how to cut a replacement key based on a confidential list the parts department maintains. They key code for any Honda can be obtained through a computer inquiry at at Honda dealership (proof of ownership is required before they will cut a key or look up the code for you). This code is then looked up in the confidential list and special tool is used to cut or punch the key. There are many different settings making it next to impossible for a key from one car to work in another. For a master key to work in all Hondas/Acuras or even a bunch of them, every igntition and door lock would have to have one single tumbler that could open the door all by itself and that is simply not possible. If you've ever taken a lock cylinder apart and seen the collection of parts you'd know better.

Do you really think ANY car manufacturer would make a lock that you could pick by bypassing just one tumbler? Could you imagine how quickly the word would get out to the bad guys and the general public? Insurance would be impossible to get.

There are many ways of somebody repoing a car. The easiest is where the guys from the bank visit the selling car dealership, get extra keys made and go and take the car with no damage (they have a key that will work in the ignition and doors). The next easiest is where they send out a repo company and they tow the car away and replace all the locks within a day or so (at the expense of the old owner). The hardest way is by having someone (basically) steal the car and then replace all the locks at a later date.

In any event, the owner of the car pays all the fees associated with the repo. Usually a company that tows the car gets $400 to $500 to recover the vehicle plus a large fee for replacement of the locks and a hefty storage fee. If you want your car back, you have to pay all those charges, plus all your past due payments, PLUS a month or two of payments in advance by cash or certified check. If you can't afford that option, the bank pays the repo company and they either auction your vehicle off or sell it to a wholesaler. If they get less for the car at auction than you owe (plus above costs), then you have to continue making payments until you have satisfied the balance. Imagine paying on a car that was taken from you several months previous...

I should also add that I have not worked for Honda for quite a few years. I have no idea about the new imobilizer keys but they should be similar to the GM VATS (vehicle anti theft) keys. The GM keys just had a resister on the key. There were 15 or so different resister values that were available and the GM dealership had a little machine that you inserted a key into and it would give you a readout of the key blank that you would use. It would literally say "01", "02", etc and you used a blank key with that number on the package. Easy. How do I know? I was a Service and Parts Manager for a Pontiac, Olds, Caddy dealer before I worked for Honda...

It MAY be possible for a Honda key to work in more than one car if the key and the lock tumblers are very worn. I have two Datsun 280Zs, a 1975 and a 1977. Before I replaced the lockset on the '75, ANY key would work in the ignition (house key, GM key, etc). The cylinder and tumblers were worn completely away and a simple screwdriver was all that was needed to start the car (25 year old lock). The '77 is still like that, but it's only a parts car so who cares?

So, to beat the dead horse to death------

THERE ARE NO SUCH THING AS MASTER KEYS THAT OPEN MORE THAN ONE HONDA/ACURA!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Trial User

ok i realize ill get flamed etc like that because everyones gonna say its my first post etc....im not gonna say how to open a honda all im gonna say is there is a honda "master" key that opens most hondas out there keep them secure aka alarm systems theres a reason hondas are on the top of the most stolen vehicle list!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i heard about a honda/acura master key.
but if the car is equipped with immobilizer i don't think they can start it. just unlock the car. that's about it
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the master key jk
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is nearly a decade old
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats scary..one key open all..no bueno!!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Accident Prone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoop whoop IBTL.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Just a n00b
Whoop whoop IBTL.
Holy necro bump.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Trial User

Actually my car (97 honda civic EX) was recently stolen a few days ago. And there was no force entry or signs of force to start my car. Based on information I got from the impound lot and AAA a universal/Master key does exist in some way.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Khephra0
Actually my car (97 honda civic EX) was recently stolen a few days ago. And there was no force entry or signs of force to start my car. Based on information I got from the impound lot and AAA a universal/Master key does exist in some way.
It is a shaved factory key.

@RonJ
Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old thread is old. the master key is a tow truck.