Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell when you need a valve adjustment

Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to tell when you need a valve adjustment

Alright, I've got a jdm b16 in my del sol that I've had since June. I have a very slight exhaust leak by my catalytic converter I believe and my exhaust also rattles from 3500-4500 rpm. Those two things could related though and possibly be the same thing, I'm not quite sure. Anyways when I'm driving and giving it some gas I can hear this slight fast buzzing/clicking noise and I'm having trouble figuring out if it's just my exhaust or if I need a valve adjustment or maybe something else.

When my car idles it sounds great. It idles amazingly and I hear nothing out of the ordinary. And my main question is, how do I tell if I need to have my vavles adjusted? If there is ticking coming from my engine, should I be able to hear it even at idle? Here is a video that I found of an engine that is ticking, since I've never actually heard one myself. Just so you all know, my car does NOT sound like this at all, and this is NOT my car. So overall I am basically just curious if I should be worried at all or if this should get some immediate attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikes2kPnBrQ
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (devney)

You can tell if they need adjustment by using a flat feeler gauge and seeing if they are within spec. Basically just adjust them.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (devney)

Its kinda hard to tell by sound unless its REALLY obvious because theres a bunch of **** going on.

Best way to tell is to just measure your valve lash. Its really easy to just measure. just buy a feeler gauge that has .007 and .008. (autozone for like $4 for a set) and MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD. And remember you gotta turn the crank and position each cylinder at the correct point. Everything is listed here \/\/\/

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...t.php

Its really easy, just a pain in the ***
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its really easy, just a pain in the ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, I've got a jdm b16 in my del sol that I've had since June. I have a very slight exhaust leak by my catalytic converter I believe and my exhaust also rattles from 3500-4500 rpm. Those two things could related though and possibly be the same thing, I'm not quite sure. Anyways when I'm driving and giving it some gas I can hear this slight fast buzzing/clicking noise and I'm having trouble figuring out if it's just my exhaust or if I need a valve adjustment or maybe something else.

When my car idles it sounds great. It idles amazingly and I hear nothing out of the ordinary. And my main question is, how do I tell if I need to have my vavles adjusted? If there is ticking coming from my engine, should I be able to hear it even at idle? Here is a video that I found of an engine that is ticking, since I've never actually heard one myself. Just so you all know, my car does NOT sound like this at all, and this is NOT my car. So overall I am basically just curious if I should be worried at all or if this should get some immediate attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikes2kPnBrQ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda;s motors are just noisey motors to begin with. they tend to be noisier once you remove all the intake resonators. if it's a light or moderate tap, then your fine. i can't really hear mine (b16a) on idle, but i hear it better at a higher speed and the windows up.

i will say this, if you have never done a valve adjustment before, don't do it. yes it is a easy job, but if you don't have someone to show you the first time how to get the right feel on the feeler gauge, leave it alone.

it's a easy job that can easily go wrong.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you don't have someone to show you the first time how to get the right feel on the feeler gauge, leave it alone.

it's a easy job that can easily go wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point. Yeah it is pretty weird because when you slide the gauge, one second it flows perfect, the next it doesn't go in at all.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good point. Yeah it is pretty weird because when you slide the gauge, one second it flows perfect, the next it doesn't go in at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, it took me 4 times to get my valves right. the first time i had them so tight the car would idle for about 5 seconds then turn off. it was a tidious job, but i finally got it done. it wasn't fun, but experiences like this is what made me the man i am today!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
i ♥ snails

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, it took me 4 times to get my valves right. the first time i had them so tight the car would idle for about 5 seconds then turn off. it was a tidious job, but i finally got it done. it wasn't fun, but experiences like this is what made me the man i am today! </TD></TR></TABLE>

adjusting valves on a honda made you a man?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
* B A N N E D *

chances are you don't need an adjustment.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (trev0006)

It's really not that hard, I suggest you try it. It doesn't take a genius, and you don't need anybody to show you how.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the quick responses everybody. And thanks SkoundrelUSA for the link. Got it bookmarked.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell when you need a valve adjustment (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

adjusting valves on a honda made you a man? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it was suppossed to be a joke. i should have used one of those emotion faces.