Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crazy wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy wipers

Hello. I have a 99 Honda Civic DX.
It startedd by the wiper blades not responding to the control stick, (you know, the one behind the steering wheel) in a rainy morning, so when I tried to turn them off they wouldn't respond, only by killing the engine, so I took out the fuse. Later that day it started raining so I plugged the fuse and they started working, but again, not willing to turn off. long story short, they do stop now. But after that, on slow mode, the wipers will stop right in front of the steering wheel wait a few seconds and then return almost at the start point (like half a cycle). Fast or regular mode work fine. I replaced the control stick but it behaves the same way. Could it be the motor, and if so, where is the motor located?
Also on windshield wash mode they do work fine. They start from the bottom come all the way to the left and park back at the starting point.
Any help would be truly appreciated. I
​​​live in Seattle and rains all day, but slow AF so I don't want to have my wiper blades working extra hard when they don't need to.

Thank you.

Last edited by ChayonTapia; 03-13-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Crazy wipers

Hello. I have a 99 Honda Civic DX. It started by the wiper blades not responding to the control stick, you know, the one behind the steering wheel. In a rainy morning I tried to turn them off when I got to work but they wouldn't respond, so I took out the fuse, until later that day it started raining so I plugged the fuse and they started working.. long story short, on slow mode, the wipers will stop right in front of the steering wheel wait a few seconds and then return almost at the start point. Fast or regular mode work fine. I replaced the control stick but it does the same. Could it be the motor, and if so, where is the motor located. Any

Thank You.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: Crazy wipers

The motor has the regulator built into it, it is located under the windshield wiper cowling infront pf the glass windshield under the wipers in the center I believe.

Typical of a 96-00 civic the regulator fails and will leave the arms in the middle of the windshield whenever turned to off position.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Could be a bad wiper motor as ck mentioned. In addition, it may also be worthwhile opening up the wiper switch to inspect the contact points for damage or corrosion. Alternatively, replace the wiper switch and then go from there.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also concerned about wire continuity, since I had a rodent problem at the same time the wipers started to fail. There's a specific wire that feeds what they call interval function.
I'll check that before replacing the motor. Thanks folks.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the motor has an electromechanical device built into it for parking. And by parking I mean positioning the wipers on stop or off, known as parking the wipers.

This disc with traces and a post has been known to break, go bad, corrode etc. It would cause the wipers to not park when you shut them off etc.

I believe it's a part built into the wiper motor itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomCat39:
Old 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Two threads on same topic.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by ChayonTapia
I'm also concerned about wire continuity, since I had a rodent problem at the same time the wipers started to fail. There's a specific wire that feeds what they call interval function.
I'll check that before replacing the motor. Thanks folks.

Clear concise questions... you stated what repairs you have made, and used a logical thought process, as well as opened your mind to options that are external like a rodent... well done OP. You are helping to restore my faith in new members here. Thank you.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Dual threads... unique information is being posted in each. OP, please ask a MOD to combine both threads. I bragged on you in the other thread... please don't ruin it with a forum faux-pas.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:36 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Two threads on same topic.
Funny me to boot. I approved one one day and then didn't clue in when I approved the other a day or two later. Actually thought, didn't I already approve this thread?

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Dual threads... unique information is being posted in each. OP, please ask a MOD to combine both threads. I bragged on you in the other thread... please don't ruin it with a forum faux-pas.
To be fair to OP. The likely scenario is they posted a thread, didn't see it (needed approval) so posted it again thinking something didn't take.

Then I go an approve one, then a day later, maybe two, approve the second.

It's fixed now but at least half my fault for allowing the faux-pas to occur or even helping create it for that matter.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes! I tried to post, and some glitch occurred. No, i did not see a message about my thread pending approval. Just please disregard that.