Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE!

Ok. I've been drinking but not until after I did the actual work. My pictures may be crooked and my words may be slurred, but I've put down the tools so mankind is safe.
Here we go.

So you've bought yourself some JDM mirrors and you used the info on here to wire them up. You started driving and discovered that when you look out the drivers side, the objects in mirror are now larger than they appear! This is no good.
In my case, I bought the JDM Jaunts because my friend slid into a dump truck and broke my mirror off. I don't dig Duct Tape and finding a matching USDM mirror was nearly impossible so faghetabout it lets go JDM.

This is the USDM mirror, separated (not at birth) from the host car. The car misses you!!!

The first thing I did is remove the obvious screws, like these along the bottom.

That just removes the base so it didn't help much. I took the screw out of the 'stamp' area also even though it didn't seem to have much of an impact.

Next, work the mirror baby! Move it to it's extreme positions, get in there with a phillips head screw driver, and unscrew. In the USDM power mirrors (non-power may be different but I have no idea) there are 4 important screws behind the mirror. There are 2 along the top, one at the bottom outer corner, and one on the inner middle side.

I didn't take pictures, but if you look down on top of the mirror housing, you'll see a seam. Well, now that the screws are out, just gently pry apart. Actually, you don't have to be too gentle as you can't use the USDM one anymore anyway. Mine was cracked from being hurtled off the car in the impact with a Dump Truck.

To make it easier, I just ripped the mirror out of the adjusting motor pack.

I used a hairdryer to heat up the glue a bit and gently pry it off. Don't break the mirror since you'll be using this. I guess it's OK to break the plastic here, but more than likely, the mirror would break first. Also, be careful to not scratch the back of the mirror, or you'll have non-reflective spots.

I didn't think of it at the time, but heating the screw driver would make it sink right through the adheasive.

It will look like that when it pops apart. I don't recommend using the oven/toaster oven but hey if you want to try it, have a blast.

You want to get as much of that adheasive off as you can so the mirror sits flat into the new housing, so I got smart.

Heat up the screw driver, and only scrape the glue. Remember, don't scratch the mirror.

Start on the new mirror. Remove the screws at the base

The JDM unit is tricky too. You don't want to force too much and risk cracking the housing, but I suppose you could break the mirror without penalty. I hope it's ok to move the mirror around manually because I did lol. If you move it around, you can get to the screws that hold the surround on. Remove those screws (there should be 3 but maybe 4 I forgot) and remove the outer shroud. You'll have to work it to get it off as the mirror will be in the way. Just slide it to one end and back to the other to remove... hope that made some kind of sense.

If you look close here in this image, you'll see little spots where you could fit a flathead screw driver- you'll see them on yours. This is going to be the pry point. It seems the great minds at Honda only saw a need to use 2 small pieces of adheasive on this mirror, as seen here.

Look. They put a piece of masking tape down and put the adheasive on that. It's as small as a postage stamp but I'm sure it works fine. ((If you want to be crazy, the back of the JDM drivers side mirror is convex? (curves inward) making objects in mirror larger than they appear. They'd fit on the passengers side but it'd probably be dumb))
Anyway, what I did is I just heated (is heated a word?) the tip of the screw driver and then gently but assertively forced it into this screwdriver shaped opening in the plastic. The idea was to cause some separation and release the adheasive, but I ended up melting some of the black plastic behind the mirror.

After you feel the adheasive is probably loosened, go around the edge with a thin flat head and kinda pry the plastic back from the mirrory. Don't pry too hard or you'll break the mirror like I did or even worse, break the plastic. Start at the bigger, inboard end as the corners are broader and won't bind as much.

There you go! They're apart! Good job. HAve a non-alcoholic beverage!

I discovered that the mirrors I have are a different size. I'm not sure if mine has the original mirror or not. I discovered some kind of duct tape behind the motor pack and suspect this one was rebuilt. They are slightly different, but they're definately interchangeable. You'll just have a little more space to work with (assuming mine is original that is)

Ok reassembly is not the reverse. I'd put the whole mirror back together before putting the glass in. It's hard enough to get those screws in and you don't want the glass taking away what little flex there is in the black plastic.

Once it's all back together, minus the mirror of course, dab some adheasive to the back of the mirror. Hot glue would work. Any of that shoe goop would work I believe. Don't use Elmers glue or Super glue. (we'll see how the glue holds up to the defrosters if I get them working) You won't need alot of glue really. The plastic trim piece is probably enough to hold it in place, but lets not have **** happen.
I haven't done this step yet as the only thing I have here is elmers glue and super glue.

Waaala! You now have normal visibility out of your drivers side mirror!! Enjoy!

Those last 2 pics are pretty blurry so I'll put it back on the car and post up a pic.

PS I'm sure this would work on any of that blue mirror stuff too if it's the same shape.
PS2 I got half way through and realized I left my flat head at my garage, 12 miles away, so I had to walk to Sears and get a set!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (99CivicSiBrian)

nicely done
and thanks for the heads up
Old 01-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (Daniel-sanB1)

NICE. i might try this. lol, like the socks
Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (THC1107)

SHOES i meant
Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lol nicely done.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (Civic4less)

Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (Daniel-sanB1)

Great DIY.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

nice, been thinking about doing this to my jdm units for a while now, great write up man!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:08 PM
99-0104

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (rukawa1one)

on the EK they have non folding mirrors stock will the glass from those work in the jdm mirrors? or do you need it from a integra ...
Old 01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (Stripped Honda)

nice detailed write up

Old 01-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fyi, Euro BMW E36 M-Sport mirrors have convex mirrors on both outside mirrors cuz they're so small. they had to make them "normal" for the US market....
Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: How To fix JDM Drivers side mirror so you can SEE! (Stripped Honda)

Hmmm. i haven't gotten to do my EK yet. For this one, you may want to go ahead and find your local mirror cutter place people just incase.
B