Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HOW TO: EG Side Marker Install Write Up

Old 07-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (SPNFEDEH)

when they say tap into the headlight wires...do they mean splice them? how exactly do you connect the 2 wires to the blinker and constant?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GutS96EJ)

yea splice into them or tap into them, use these

http://www.radioshack.com/prod...amily
Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPNFEDEH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea splice into them or tap into them, use these

http://www.radioshack.com/prod...amily</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, say I'm doing the JDM lighting method for the sidemarkers...i would need 2 or 4 of those connectors? And which wires would go into which parts of which connectors? lol sorry, its hard to tell without the lights or connectors yet

also, for jdm method, does the sidemarker's black ground wire get tapped into the headlight's black ground wire? or does it get grounded on its own? or does it just hang covered in elec. tape?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when your tapping into the wires, u wanna tap in the black and red wire, that gives u the blink only
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i want them to be lit with parking lights and full headlights on and also blink with blinkers (hence, the jdm method)

From another site:
"There are two wiring options. USDM (Sidemarker only blinks when turn signal is on) or JDM (Sidemarkers stay on and blink alternately with the signal). Pull back the fender liner and remove the corner/parking light. There will be 3 wires going to the bulb. Tap into the corresponding wires for each blinking style.

USDM:
Tap into green(turn signal) and black(ground) wire.
JDM:
Tap into red(parking light) and green(turn signal) wire."

So for JDM, assuming that you have to tap the black into the headlight's black also (??), then im guessing you would need 3 connectors per sidemarker, no?
One to connect red to red, one to connect green to green, and one for black to black..am i right??

EDIT:
i guess this is right for doing this "JDM method":
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
scroll down to where it shows the two wire tapping options..number 5 under the wiring update..so i guess one connector connects one of the sidemarker wires to green and the other connector connects the other wire to red (doesnt matter which goes to which color)....RIGHT?? LoL so confused at this point (but not really)
so the sidemarker's black wire just hangs? or might there not even be a black one?
(coming in the mail in the next 2 days, so i dont know yet)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the way i did it, is the actual eg6 "jdm" way, they blink only, not on constant, if u want them to stay on contant with parking/headlights and blink, then u want to tap into the red and green wires.

JDM - red and black

usdm - red and green
Old 07-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, 2 more questions..the ebay auction i bought my stanley sidemarkers off of says

"-Includes Socket and pigtail harness for easy installation"
what's that? just a socket to plug the male connectors (with wires) into the sidemarkers with?

also, can someone send me a link or tell me the absolute TRUE placement/measurements for the JDM sidemarkers on a Japanese Civic? It seems like every tutorial i read has a different position that they show the template taped to. Sometimes they line up with the wheel well top and bottom corner, sometimes it is a little lower or closer to the molding...lol so hard to figure out. Thanks! Sorry for all the questions but i figure no one else would know.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can just use the socket like i did, i didnt have a pigtail, just get some female connectors and plug them into the socket, EK mounting points i do not have sorry
Old 07-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure how the EKs are, but the actual EG6 is blink only
Old 07-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hm hope i can figure out where theyre suposed to go soon</TD></TR></TABLE>

to get a good idea of the proper locaton just go online to a site like passwordjdm look at the jdm fenders they have for your car and just sort of eyeball it
found the link for you sorry no mesurements though.
http://www.passwordjdm.com/pro...D=253

Modified by broketuner-egb16a at 2:54 AM 7/17/2006
Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-egb16a)

yeah i looked at that and most jdm civic pictures and they all seem to line up about the same as that..thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when they say "tap" into the green and red wires from the blinkers using those cheap radio shack connectors...i understand u put each of the two wires from the sidemarker into one connector each..and the red wire into one of the connectors and the green in the other (making 2 connectors needed for each sidemarker's wiring)...
but to actually tap into the green and red using those connectors instead of splicing, what do you do? pull back the wire covering on any part of the green and red and just crimp the connector over the exposed wire? or do you have to like cut the wire and put one end in one side and the other cut end in the other side??

EDIT: sorry for being an idiot...i guess the connectors actually close over unstripped wire just enough to cut through the covering and make contact with the wire, right? are the blinker wires the correct size so that it works properly with those radio shack ones?
and then after you put it on the blinker wire, you just insert the wire from the sidemarker into the same connector right? and they are linked together?

also, i know the sidemarker usually sits fine after you insert it into the cut hole..but is it a good idea to put a few dabs of super glue under the sidemarker so that it stays on better? any better methods?

Modified by GutS96EJ at 10:22 PM 7/17/2006
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
also, i know the sidemarker usually sits fine after you insert it into the cut hole..but is it a good idea to put a few dabs of super glue under the sidemarker so that it stays on better? any better methods?
Modified by GutS96EJ at 10:22 PM 7/17/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would rather use a silicone, superglue would probally eat away the paint and cause rust
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-egb16a)

hm ill keep that in mind...but i cant help but think, what would i do if the light broke or needed to remove it for some reason, then bonding or gluing it on probably wouldn't help, hmmmm
Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't glue it otherwise you'd have to take off the whole fender to change the light bulb
Old 07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (melsers)

haha that would suck!

but can someone make this part a little more clear please?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess the connectors actually close over unstripped wire just enough to cut through the covering and make contact with the wire, right? are the blinker wires the correct size so that it works properly with those radio shack ones?
and then after you put it on the blinker wire, you just insert the wire from the sidemarker into the same connector right? and they are linked together?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on the template that i keep finding that most ppl use for the sidemarker..why exactly is there a notch in the upper left corner and the other cut-in part on the right side? thats not really how the real back of the sidemarkers are shaped.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Very cool.

Right Click -&gt; Save Page As.

:cool:
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the template that i keep finding that most ppl use for the sidemarker..why exactly is there a notch in the upper left corner and the other cut-in part on the right side? thats not really how the real back of the sidemarkers are shaped.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes it is...there's an extra 'nub' on one side...sorry I don't have pics
Old 07-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (chuniepatuni)

Lookin' good.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus h christ...how do u remove the fuck1n tab things that hold the wheel well lining in?? no matter what i do to them they just bent and become deformed...but cant even remove a single one...what am i supposed to do without ruining them?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: EG Side Marker Install Write Up (SPNFEDEH)

I had the layout done on AutoCAD, where I just print 1:1 and stick it on the car for a template.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't have to take the wheel well lining out. just unbend a coat hanger, tape the wire to one end and fish it through the hole you cut over to the corner light
Old 07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (melsers)

so i just installed my sidemarkers..everything went good...used a nibbler since im just getting into dremelling...didnt wanna f it up...

just one question, to keep them on, i bought silicone sealant which is what i thought i read to use once ....anyway, i put it all around the back perimeter of each sidemarker since thats the only part that sits right against the car..and it looks sealed and everything and a little stiffer attached to the car, but i can still slightly move the sidemarkers around..not much at all, but i guess the sealant is flexible. anyway i just wanted to know if u guys think that will do the job of keeping them on and sealing, and also if u think its water proof (which im guessing all sealants probably are)..thanks
and also, why do i always read to use 3m double sided tape?? theres nowhere to put that to hold the lights on whatsoever lol...rrrriiiight

Old 07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that should be just fine, i never used silicone, but lil bits of tape cause i cut a tad bit too big, but yours will be fine, good job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: EG Side Marker Install Write Up