Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you disable the computer timing adjustment to check timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you disable the computer timing adjustment to check timing?

On a 1998 Honda Civic EX? I want to double check the timing but I am not sure how to disengage the advance? Any help on this would be appreciated. Also, what is stock timing for this engine? Thanks again!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the computer timing adjustment to check timing?

Anyone? Hopefully I can get an answer tonight, I really wanted to do this tomorrow morning. Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run the car to opperating temp. Follow all instructions on the VECI label under the hood. With ignition off hook up and inductive timing light on the number 1 wire. On the right side (passenger) kick pannel put a paper clip in both terminals of the Service Check Connector. With the engine at normal opperating temp shoot the timing light on the crank shaft balancer and observe the timing mark and its location. If you need to adjust the timing loosen the bolts on the distributor and do so. Once you are in coordinance with the VECI label, tighten the bolts on recheck the idle speed is correct. Then remove the timing light. Close hood and go for test drive. If you mess up repeat as necassary.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ElliotSiR
Run the car to opperating temp. Follow all instructions on the VECI label under the hood. With ignition off hook up and inductive timing light on the number 1 wire. On the right side (passenger) kick pannel put a paper clip in both terminals of the Service Check Connector. With the engine at normal opperating temp shoot the timing light on the crank shaft balancer and observe the timing mark and its location. If you need to adjust the timing loosen the bolts on the distributor and do so. Once you are in coordinance with the VECI label, tighten the bolts on recheck the idle speed is correct. Then remove the timing light. Close hood and go for test drive. If you mess up repeat as necassary.

Thanks! Do you have a picture of where the connector should be? I tried looking a week ago and could not find anything. I did not want to jump the wrong connector and jack up the ECU. Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, just throwing this out, but if the idle speed is not correct how do you adjust that? Thanks again! Trying to cover all my bases before I get into this...
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Service Check Connector is a two wire connector that just hangs out in the kick pannel. See the picture below.

For the idle speed:
(this does not apply to your car if it has a D16Y8 w/Automatic Transaxle or D15Y5 w/CVT)
-Connect a hand held tachometer to the car
-Warm engine
-Turn engine off and disconnect IAC electical plug
-Start engine and run at 1000rpm
-Slowly release throttle and let engine idle
-Make sure all accessories are turned off including radiator cooling fan
-Idle speed should be specified on the VECI label (measure on the hand held tachometer not the guage in your car)
-If idle is too low or high remove the cap and adjust the screw to match idle to specs
-Turn off engine and reconnect IAC
-Pull 7.5amp back-up fuse from underhood fuse box to clear ECM of trouble codes (this will clear your radio presets, beware)
-Start engine and allow idle to stabilize for 1 minute, check that it is correct with the hand held tach and matches the specs on the VECI label.

Now PayPal me $30 bucks since you could have gotten this straight out of a manual.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again! I do have an automatic tranny, so does that change the idle adjustment?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Service Check Connector is a two wire connector that just hangs out in the kick pannel. See the picture below.

For the idle speed:
(this does not apply to your car if it has a D16Y8 w/Automatic Transaxle or D15Y5 w/CVT)
-Connect a hand held tachometer to the car
-Warm engine
-Turn engine off and disconnect IAC electical plug
-Start engine and run at 1000rpm
-Slowly release throttle and let engine idle
-Make sure all accessories are turned off including radiator cooling fan
-Idle speed should be specified on the VECI label (measure on the hand held tachometer not the guage in your car)
-If idle is too low or high remove the cap and adjust the screw to match idle to specs
-Turn off engine and reconnect IAC
-Pull 7.5amp back-up fuse from underhood fuse box to clear ECM of trouble codes (this will clear your radio presets, beware)
-Start engine and allow idle to stabilize for 1 minute, check that it is correct with the hand held tach and matches the specs on the VECI label.

Now PayPal me $30 bucks since you could have gotten this straight out of a manual.

I feel the love... I do have a manual (digital) but I can't find it on my computer. I'm thinking I stuck it on one of my thumb drives. Hopefully i find it. Sorry for the ignorance. I usually work on old vehicles that don't have all this computer crap...
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you specifically have a D16Y8 w/Automatic transaxle then don't disconnect the IAC electrical connector. Simply start the engine and let the rpm stabilize for 1 minute, then check it with the VECI label, and adjust the screw as necassary.

PayPal me $40 now since I wrote out a ton of crap you didn't need.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn I feel like a moron... I hate to ask but what is and where is the IAC connector? Thanks again! Oh, and where is the idle cap and how do you remove it... Have a great weekend...
Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I found another manual online, since I can't find my previous one. Thanks again for the info.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The manual should show you a picture of its location and a wiring diagram will tell you the color of the wires, if not google image search it.