Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Depin an ECU Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Depin an ECU Plug

I'm in the process of an SOHC ZC swap and I needed to add some wires to the ECU. Well, rather than just ghetto-fab it and try to solder the wire to the ECU or something like that I decided to do it right.

What you need:
Extra ECU Plugs to take pins from:

Your "De-pinning Tool" (Otherwise known as a safety pin ):

A pair of needle nose pliers:

According to my wiring information, (http://www.zcspeed.com/wiring.htm <--- Look here before continuing.), because my car was DPFI and my engine was MPFI I needed to add wires to slot B15 and B16.

I went to a junkyard and got the ECU plugs off of '90 Civic DX.

So, on to the "How-To".

In order to add pins to the "B" plug, you need some extra pins from the "B" plug!

To get these,

1) First remove the little white "guards" that stop the pins from coming out. There are two tabs on either side to depress.

Use your safety pin to hold one side down and pull it out with your finger nail. Then, while pulling up on the guard, press in the other tab.

You should end up like this:

2) Now, take out your pair of needle nose pliers and pull hard on the wire you want out. That was the only way I could do it. There is a little metal tab holding it in, but I couldn't get at it due to the housing of the plug. Just re-bend the tab one the pin is out.

Congrats! You have an extra pin that you can add wire to and do with as you wish!

SIDEBAR:

You can also remove pins from the other type of plug. (The largest of the three, the "A" connector.)

For this you will only need a safety pin. There is a small, plastic tab from the pin's housing that keeps the pin locked in place. Once you locate it, put you safety pin in the hole on the female end of the plug.

Pull up on the tab and pull on the wire to release the pin from the clip it's housed in.

And now you get a pin to work with or add wire to, etc.

There you have it! I thought this may help some people getting ready to wire their swap...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Depin an ECU Plug (Tippyman)

Haha. I was just looking for how to depin...was surprised when I ran across this one. This actually helps me out abunch..back to the garage now...

by the way why did you post this up in the civic/del sol section?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How To: Depin an ECU Plug (harmonator)

thats funny when I tried to depin my ECU for DPFI to MPFI conversion I just ended up getting pissed off because I couldnt get the extras out so I ended up going to the junk yard and cutting out the connectors off a wrecked car and ripped them apart to get the pins, added them and my conversion went great!! DPFI D15 auto to MPFI SOHC ZC manual.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: How To: Depin an ECU Plug (coffin on wheels)

dont get shocked