Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Assemble LCAs with spinning ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Assemble LCAs with spinning ball joints

Didn't see anything in the FAQ and I spent way too much time researching and trying to find a solution. This is for all of you who run into the problem with the castle nut getting "stuck" and spinning the ball joint stud therefore making it impossible to tighten. Now I don't even know if I got mine tight enough this way but it's tight enough that a cotter pin is in now.. (96' Civic)

1) If the LCA is not already separated from the balljoint, do so. This essentially is optional, however it makes it much easier.
2) I use a wire brush wheel to clean up the threads of the castle nut. If you do not have a bench grinder with one, you can use dremel, rotary tool, etc.
3) Clean the threads on the balljoint stud. I don't know what it's called but I used a green wool pad by 3M to take some of the rust off the threads and clean them up.
4) If you have the tools, use a metric tap and die set to clean them up more.
5) Hold the balljoint stud steady with a pair of vicegrips at the top. Use WD-40, Zep45, etc. on the threads of the stud and castle nut. Thread the nut up and down multiple times to make sure it goes on with ease
6) Connect the LCA to the balljoint. Using a jack, jack up the LCA so that the LCA is popped up into place on the balljoint. This will help put pressure on the tapered threads. Be careful not to jack the suspension too far up where it lifts the car from your jackstand(s).
7) Thread your castle nut on and tighten. Hopefully this will be enough to get it tightened and a cotter pin through it.

If this method doesn't work, I'd recommend replacement of your balljoint. I've sunk enough work into my car and am way too "tired" otherwise I probably would have just done that anyways.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How To: Assemble LCAs with spinning ball joints

I'd try an impact, its worked pretty well for me in the past and my ball joints were NASTY
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by murdered sol
I'd try an impact, its worked pretty well for me in the past and my ball joints were NASTY
Not to sound like a douchebag but that's one of the things I hate about Honda-Tech.. Every member assumes the person needing tech help has an impact. That's what frustrated me while searching, half the answers were "Oh just use an impact". Not everybody has an impact.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem... not having the right tools for the job doesn't make you a douchebag. good luck
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Not to sound like a douchebag but that's one of the things I hate about Honda-Tech.. Every member assumes the person needing tech help has an impact. That's what frustrated me while searching, half the answers were "Oh just use an impact". Not everybody has an impact.
I don't think most people do it to be a**holes I think that many people just don't remember what it was like when they were starting out working on cars withouy lots of tools like compressors and impact guns and the like.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jockone
I don't think most people do it to be a**holes I think that many people just don't remember what it was like when they were starting out working on cars withouy lots of tools like compressors and impact guns and the like.
I'm not saying they're ********, just the fact that it's kind of an annoyance. Believe me if I had the space for an air compressor I would own one. However being a college student and moving every 8-12 months it seems, it's very impractical for me to own one. Hasn't stopped me from investing in nice impact sockets and the like though.