Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda del Sol Automatic Transmission Shift Issues

Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda del Sol Automatic Transmission Shift Issues

I have an issue with my 1994 Honda del Sol S with a d15b7 engine and automatic transmission. Since I got the car, I had an issue with my car getting stuck from park to reverse and in order to go from reverse to drive, I had to slip it in park again, and then the car would drive fine.

I decided to attempt fixing this today by fixing the adjustment of the shift cable to the shifter with the lock pin. I was told to do this with the car in neutral and readjust the adjustor to the shift cable. The two holes met up fine, but when I turned the car on the first time, my gear selector indicator told me I was in neutral when I was in park. Now that I look back at this, it seems that maybe my gear selection indicator was off because the car only starts in park.

After multiple attempts of fixing what I thought was out of gear, my gear shift alignment is off and I am left with a car that will not start and the key only leaves the ignition with the battery disconnected. I have tried connecting the cable at different gear selections. When in park STILL the car will not start. I am beyond stumped.

Has anyone else had any issues with an AT trying to realign the shift cable? Any tips on how to do it? I am at a dead end. Where should the cable be positioned at, and where should the shifter be positioned at to make sure everything is in line and working?

Much thanks,

Fred

Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda del Sol Automatic Transmission Shift Issues

Any help?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

This is the FSM pages for the 92-95 civic automatics. I suspect they are very very similar to the Del Sol automatic of that era:

Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-516.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  3.95 MBName:  USDM_92-95_civic-517.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  4.31 MBName:  USDM_92-95_civic-518.jpg
Views: 3604
Size:  2.96 MB

Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
This is the FSM pages for the 92-95 civic automatics. I suspect they are very very similar to the Del Sol automatic of that era:
Yes, they are identical. However, I have already read over these documents, and they messed me up quite well. Upon following these steps, I believe my shift cable is out of alignment now... I have no clue how to fix this since there are no markings on the cable of where it should be aligned at neutral.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Detach the cable at the console. Go under the hood and manually move the transmission to neutral (put in park, then two clicks back.) Start engine and confirm the car does not move. Put handle on neutral. Adjust until the holes line up then put the pin in.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Detach the cable at the console. Go under the hood and manually move the transmission to neutral (put in park, then two clicks back.) Start engine and confirm the car does not move. Put handle on neutral. Adjust until the holes line up then put the pin in.
I have never changed gear from the transmission. I am assuming i find the cable (rightfully so). do I just need to slide it forward? I just don't want to break anything. This is a first for me. Sorry if this sounds super novice...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update, I have gotten to the part where I am looking at the other end of the control cable at the transmission. Sadly, i cannot move it. The specialty bolt with a tab on it is rusted to hell. Thinking I may replace it with a normal bolt of the same size without the tab. Don't know why they needed that tab. I PB blasted it and now I will wait to see if I can get it loose.