Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic 96 1.4i sedan clock and car stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
I recently changed the car stereo to one of my others (first one had problems with sound, I had music playing only on right side, left side was like muted, checked the wires, moved them to check if some of them are not loose, didn't change anything, flipped the car stereo over, got sound from both sides.. So I tough that problem is in the stereo itself, so I changed it.)

As soon as I changed my car stereo, I had problems with it, I turned my ignition from 0 to I and turned on my car stereo, ran trough settings (bass, fader, tremble, looked up and saved some radio stations) and afterwards started my car engine, when it was starting up, my car stereo turned off for like 2 seconds and as engine started car stereo also did but all the settings were back to default (no bass, tremble, etc.). I looked up for problem like that and read in 3 forums that changing the red (battery +) pin with yellow (ignition 12v) pin. I did that but the problem still exists.

So I tried running wires straight from car battery to car stereo, just changing the red wire with straight connection to battery. Stereo still was reset to it's settings. Problem could be in the ignition wire (?). But as I didn't tape the wires I pulled out, they made contact and made a spark. Afterwards, I couldn't even turn in my car stereo. I changed the 15 amp fuse, even it looked fine (fuse box under dash).

The one I found related to fuse slot Nr. 23 (https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...-here-1966666/ under 1993-1997 del Sol, looks just like mine) but it didn't change anything, still not turning on. I swapped all the pins back as they were at the beginning, and nothing. Also, my cars clock is resetting now each time I start engine to 1:00 and the numbers are dim. During the engine starting the clock shows just lower half of numbers in the right brightness but after car starts the numbers are dim and set to 1:00. So, I just wanted to ask what is most likely the problem? Maybe some other fuse? I ran trough all the fuses, all looked fine, but it was pretty dark, so I might have missed something. Maybe something with wires?
Please help.

My fuse box.

Last edited by Pliskins; 12-19-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic 96 1.4i sedan clock and car stereo

Hood fuse 47 is blown.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, RonJ, that was it.

But now, is there a way to make this car stereo to not reset its settings each time I start my car? Either switching some pins or going straight to battery (would like to know which pins to replace).
In picture, my car stereo, original harness and the power harness which connects in car stereo (didn't take the picture of other connector, that's just for speakers).

Last edited by Pliskins; 12-19-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pliskins
Thank you, RonJ, that was it.

But now, is there a way to make this car stereo to not reset its settings each time I start my car? Either switching some pins or going straight to battery (would like to know which pins to replace).
Make sure the car's Wht/Blu wire is properly pinned to the 12V constant pin of the stereo.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Make sure the car's Wht/Blu wire is properly pinned to the 12V constant pin of the stereo.

The circled is the Wht/Blu wire, right? It turns out in yellow wire, so I removed it and put it in place again, nothing changed, still resets when I start my car. Tried to swap yellow wire with red wire on stereo connector (because one site shows that the red wires pin is battery 12v and on another it shows that it is ignition 12v pin) nothing changed. So I think that the only option is tu pull wires straight from battery, but can I go with 1 wire or should I pull 2 wires? If so which pins should I swap? Tried replacing red wire (after the picture) to straight wire and I could turn on my stereo without ignition on. But as I start my car, it still resets.. So, please, is there a way? I think I could try swap red with straight wire from battery + and swap black wire with straight wire to battery - (don't know if it is a good idea, that why I am asking for help before I do something wrong).

I'm sorry for so dumb questions, I just don't know much, and hope for smarter people to figure out this and help me with this problem.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a multimeter to test whether the Wht/Blu wire retains battery voltage with the key OFF.

Post a circuit diagram showing how your aftermarket radio should be wired to your car. Verify that all wires are properly pinned to your stereo.