Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hole in oil pan, but engine runs?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in oil pan, but engine runs?

hi guys im new to the mechanics side of cars, i do autobody repair and paint, but i was driving my 97 civic si home and the engine just died out on me no bangs or noise just shut off on the highway, leaving behind a huge oil trail and puddle when i came to a stop, when i had it towed i noticed there is a hole in the oil pan, but the engine starts and runs, just has the sound of a exhaust leak. is the engine blown? i took off the valve cover and all the internals are still there. i will be removing the pan in the morning is there anything i should look for to tell if the engine is blown or not? timing belt is still intact so that did not snap, just before the accident my AC idler tension-er fell off but i bought and replaced that and there was no damage to any components other then the pulley wheel had to be replaced, could the pulley slipping cause the timing to mess up or could a cracked oil pan blow out after so much pressure causing this problem?

Engine is D16Y8 with 178,XXX-Kms and i was doing about 120 and just shifted into 4th gear during this accident
Old 11-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Hole in oil pan, but engine runs?

Wait, so you started the car when you knew there was no oil in it?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is highly likely that something catastrophic happened when you were on the highway leaving a huge trail and puddle when you came to a stop. The fact that there was a hole in the oil pan after it was towed indicates perhaps your car was fine, but SOMETHING made that hole which made you dump the oil.

DO NOT START THE CAR AGAIN without checking EVERYTHING OUT. You have no oil in the car. First thing will be to drop that oil pan and see what is in there I.E. metal bits and shavings. How big is the hole?

You will want to run a compression check, which is easy to do, (do a search in this forum for a how-to).

One of your first steps will be to replace the oil pan and gasket. If the compression check is good, I am not sure what else you should check beyond that, others will pipe up in here to answer.

Good God man never start a car with no oil. Sorry, I had to say it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad news is i got under the car to remove the pan but didn't need to after shining a led up there, i can see threw the block to the head, i need a engine, but thanks guys for the responses
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

More like threw a rod??
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that blows, and it can happen out of nowhere I guess. Are there any way to prevent throwing a rod like that (besides the basics of regular oil changes, not shifting too high of RPM's, and keeping the oil topped off). Or are you just riding down the road one day and literally *boom* and that's it??

I ask because I have to drive a LOT for work (to other states) and don't ever want to be left stranded in a situation like this, with 202k on the clock.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All things mechanical and electrical fail at some point. Sometimes there is warning sometimes not.

Driving it that fast and recklessly is one sure fire way to do it.not to mention killing some poor person someone daughter son mother

A kid just decapitated himself right by my house doing 100 and finding a brick wall...driving like an ***
Old 11-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
All things mechanical and electrical fail at some point. Sometimes there is warning sometimes not.

Driving it that fast and recklessly is one sure fire way to do it.not to mention killing some poor person someone daughter son mother

A kid just decapitated himself right by my house doing 100 and finding a brick wall...driving like an ***
After rereading his first post, it sounds like he was doing 120km/hr, not mph. Although shifting from 3rd to 4th around 75mph(~120kmh) would have the engine screaming...
Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good eye..he did write his mileage in kms...
Old 09-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Trial User

What if you traded out the oil pan but find a hole right above the oil pan the size of a nickel and I leaks oil out