Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hissing sound when braking = bad seal between brake booster and master cylinder

Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Hissing sound when braking = bad seal between brake booster and master cylinder

Just an FYI for everyone. If you find your car suddenly making a hissing sound when the brakes are applied, it's most likely due to the failure of the rubber seal between the master cylinder and the booster. A VERY EASY FIX! I found this out in this thread in the EF/CRX forum...

Link----> https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-hiss-1821190/

According to the near useless "Brake Booster Leak Test" in the helms manual, I had a bad brake booster ($80 to $150 to replace without core charge + several hours to change). Glad I found that thread cause it only cost me $6 for the seal at the local dealership and the install only took a couple minutes.

Steps I took in my 94 CX:
- Un-bolt the Master Cylinder and pull it forward off the booster (plenty of flex in the brake-lines)
- Dig out the rubber seal out of the booster and inspect it (mine had multiple chunks missing)
- Clean the pushrod and re-lube it's surface with a thin layer of silicone grease (I used sil-glyde brake caliper grease)
- Lightly lube the inner radius of the new seal
- Slide the seal over the MC's pushrod (seal is marked with "MP" on the side that faces the booster)
- Bolt the MC back in place
- Start the car and check for leaks.

Image of the part in question and where it goes (mine was part# 46185-SE0-003):

Last edited by 94eg!; 08-10-2016 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default re: Hissing sound when braking = bad seal between brake booster and master cylinder

Nice.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default re: Hissing sound when braking = bad seal between brake booster and master cylinder

This needs to be stickied! Awesome, great fix! Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Just an FYI for everyone. If you find your car suddenly making a hissing sound when the brakes are applied, it's most likely due to the failure of the rubber seal between the master cylinder and the booster. A VERY EASY FIX! I found this out in this thread in the EF/CRX forum...

Link----> https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-hiss-1821190/

According to the near useless "Brake Booster Leak Test" in the helms manual, I had a bad brake booster ($80 to $150 to replace without core charge + several hours to change). Glad I found that thread cause it only cost me $6 for the seal at the local dealership and the install only took a couple minutes.

Steps I took in my 94 CX:
- Un-bolt the Master Cylinder and pull it forward off the booster (plenty of flex in the brake-lines)
- Dig out the rubber seal out of the booster and inspect it (mine had multiple chunks missing)
- Clean the pushrod and re-lube it's surface with a thin layer of silicone grease (I used sil-glyde brake caliper grease)
- Lightly lube the inner radius of the new seal
- Slide the seal over the MC's pushrod (seal is marked with "MP" on the side that faces the booster)
- Bolt the MC back in place
- Start the car and check for leaks.

Image of the part in question and where it goes (mine was part# 46185-SE0-003):
Just wondering if it was hissing on the inside or outside when you diagnosed this. I'm driving a 2003 pilot that I have diagnosed as a "bad booster " but I can hear it leaking inside the cabin. Just wondering if the seal between the MC and booster was leaking if it would cause me to hear it inside? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The sound was coming from the engine bay. When I had my daughter apply the brakes with the engine running, I felt around the seam between the booster & master. I could feel the air rushing past my finger tips on the underside. If your leak is where the pushrod enters the booster (in the footwell), then the entire booster will have to be replaced. They are not serviceable.