Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

heya! please help 98 Civic - auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 heya! please help 98 Civic - auto transmission problem

hey guys I'm having some problems with my 98 civic auto ,
I notice when the car is warmed up that when I'm at a stop and go to take off it just revs then finally goes .but once I'm going I'm fine it shifts into every gear .now that being said I found out if I manually put it in the lowest gear and take off it takes off fine .I dont know if when it warms up it get stuck in a higher gear and I have to manually shift it down or what ...what do you guys think it could be ?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: heya! please help 98 Civic - auto transmission problem

Originally Posted by hunda91
hey guys I'm having some problems with my 98 civic auto ,
I notice when the car is warmed up that when I'm at a stop and go to take off it just revs then finally goes .but once I'm going I'm fine it shifts into every gear .now that being said I found out if I manually put it in the lowest gear and take off it takes off fine .I dont know if when it warms up it get stuck in a higher gear and I have to manually shift it down or what ...what do you guys think it could be ?

sounds like low in tranny oil (but could be worse).

Go to honda dealer and buy a quart of their tranny oil (never use anything but), and make sure the fluid is up to the mark for full.

if that doesn't work. Have them do a tranny oil flush (unfortunately I don't think there is a drain plug, so not something you can do).
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Trial User

Default re: heya! please help 98 Civic - auto transmission problem

thank for the quick response ! I will check the fluid to see where its at and I will let you guys know if that fixes the problem ..now as far as checking the fluid only thing you do is let it warm up and while its running check the tranny fluid ?
Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: heya! please help 98 auto

thank for the quick response ! I will check the fluid to see where its at and I will let you guys know if that fixes the problem ..now as far as checking the fluid only thing you do is let it warm up and while its running check the tranny fluid ?

Yep

being a 1998, you would have a check engine light on if the Torque Converter Lockup circuit proved to be faulty (p0740).

it is my understanding is that the auto tranny of the 1998-2002 hondas (at least the accords were, I believe they are the same tranny) were notorious for having the torque converter go out. The issue I read is that the tranny oil cooler inside the radiator is woefully too small and allowed the oil to overheat which lead to the clutch packs in the tranny to disintegrate and clog up the ports in the tranny.

The fix unfortunately is a full rebuild.

The preventive measure is to bypass the radiator cooler and run an aftermarket tranny oil cooler sourced from advanced auto parts or Oreily, etc. and put an inline tranny oil filter in the return line.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Trial User

I check the codes with my scanner p0700 p0730 and I try looking for the transmission control module and I cant find it
Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: heya! please help 98 Civic - auto transmission problem

The TCU is integrated into the ECU. You can't just swap the TCU.

There's something you aren't telling us. Is the car all-original? I'm guessing it isn't.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/

Car information
For all technical questions, the following information MUST be included in the first post: vehicle (year, make, model) and engine (if not stock, year, make, model, OBD type). Other pertinent information includes check engine light (CEL) codes as well as engine modifications...
A transmission swap is a modification. A different ECU is a modification. Please give us the full story.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Trial User

I just bought the car it is all stock as far as I know it 1998 Honda civic lx with 175 k miles on it .its not tossing any engine codes just tranny codes ..it shifts fine till it warms up and when I come to a complete stop and try to take off in d4 it will rev and then go but if I take off in 2 it takes off fine .. once I'm move it shifts fine its just at complete stops I seem to have the problem
Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find your engine code, your transmission code, and your ECU code, and post all three of them. Your ECU code will be on the sticker on the ECU, which is under the plastic to the right of the passenger side footwell, and should be P2E. Your engine code will be on the front of the engine (as you're standing in front of the car looking at it), to the left, on a roughly 2"x2" flat part near where the transmission mates to the engine. The transmission stamp, I'm not 100% sure where it'll be, but start looking for it.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Trial User

p2e ecu d16y7 engine and there is a badge on the tranny ej66****** which it match my vin plate so its the right tranny
Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I check the codes with my scanner p0700 p0730 and I try looking for the transmission control module and I cant find it
the check engine light is not on? yet were able to get two codes? I'm at a lost on how you were able to do this.

any way 0730 comes up with these possible issues

- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

Read more: P0730 Honda Faulty Shift Control System OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

I would tackle the oil first (flush/fill) and inspect the mesh screens under each of he solenoids you can get to. If they are clogged with debris (it would probably be clutch pack material) that will screw up shifting.

My daughter's car (98 accord 4cyl) with a supposed rebuilt tranny had clogged mesh screens under each solenoids, and is throwing a p0740 code (no symptoms yet). I changed out the oil, added a filter and added an aftermarket oil cooler. Mine still throws the P0740 error though.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Trial User

check engine light is on
Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

So pull the code
Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check engine light is on
ok that makes more sense.

look online for the location of the solenoids and do what I suggested.

"I would tackle the oil first (flush/fill) and inspect the mesh screens under each of the solenoids you can get to. If they are clogged with debris (it would probably be clutch pack material) that will screw up shifting."

also install the aftermarket tranny oil cooler (bypass the radiator tranny oil cooler completely)

you may have to bite the bullet and take it to a tranny shop to flush/fill the tranny....the dealer could do it for sure, but it might be more expensive than a tranny shop.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Trial User

thank buddy for your time I will try them ideas and if they work I will let you guys know and we can make a sticky note of this incase some else is having this problem