Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help wanted: eg hatch overheating issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wanted: eg hatch overheating issue!

Hello everyone. First and foremost i am relatively new to posting on ht and if i have put this in the wrong section, etc. please go easy on me.

As the title states, my 95 civic hatch has been overheating and i just had to tow it home. Its a sohc non vtec, auto trans. D15b something if im not mistaken. Now while it was still on the side of the road i discovered one of my heater/coolant hoses coming off the engine blew and so it sprayed all my coolant out. Damn. I replaced the hose, filled the rad back up and it ran fine for a short while before overheating again. Im unsure as to what it may be. At first im thinking water pump is shot and my timing may be a bit off, but before overheating the engine does run smooth if u give it a listen. Even still, with 240k miles its long overdue for a belt and pump change. Also it still starts right up so i dont think its my belt.

Now i know from experience these honda motors like to blow a head gasket when they overheat. And i did notice a bit of smoke while driving at 75mph on the highway before i shut it off cuz the needle was in the red. I dont believe it was overheating for very long at all before i shut it down. However, in the past, coolant has seemed to dissappear at times with no apparent leaks. But also i was assuming the car overheated in the first place because it lost all its coolant almost. I put some more in and it runs alright for a short while. I checked it again this morning, no white smoke on startup out the tailpipe, though i guess i should have waited until it would start to actually circulate it more. :/ also no coolant in the oil, checked via dipstick. Could this be just a bad thermostat maybe? Because i noticed my fan does still come on when its supposed to.

Im conflicted on what it may be and i rly rather not put a new HG in it atm if i dont have to. Any help is greatly apreciated
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help wanted: eg hatch overheating issue!

it just says you replaced the hose and started but did you bleed the system after you replaced the blown hose? bleed the system and report back.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Trial User

Okay so today i attempted to bleed the coolant and put in a new thermostat. The ar still started right up and idled fine when i moved it into the driveway. Strange. Before removing the old thermostat though, i noticed that even as the engine ha reached its regular operating temperature, a little below half on the temp gauge, the bottom hose coming off the radiator was still cold. The top one was warm. I read that this is a symptom of a bad thermostat? Im not sure. I didnt get to remove the old one yet, didnt have time. Also when i did open up the bleeder valve next to the valve cover, a few bubbles came up but then it shot coolant out a few times. I mean like really shot out with force a few inches into the air at least. I also read that people who experience this when the radiator cap is off have a blown head gasket. Is this true for the bleeder screw as well? I do see some smoke coming off the block but i was assuming that it was just the oil that had leaked b4 from the bad valve cover gasket. There was only a tiny bit of oil in my drained coolant, but im sure that it was only what was left in the pan from my oil change last week. When inspecting the coolant there was only a thin shiny layer on top. No difference in color of the coolant. Also there is no white smoke from the tailpipe. A little bit of exhaust but nothing white. Usual little drip of water also, except i wasnt running the a/c. Any thoughts?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i noticed that even as the engine ha reached its regular operating temperature, a little below half on the temp gauge, the bottom hose coming off the radiator was still cold.
wait a couple more min or until the fan turns on. if fan doesnt turn on:
1st make sure the fan works by jumping it to the batterty.
2nd examine fuses, relays and wires closely.
3rd if fan works, check if the sensor on the thermo housing works.

The top one was warm.
top has to be hot then the bottom one will start to get warm

hot out with force a few inches into the air at least.
never happened to me. but sounds like head gasket now
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do a block test, simple google it.

Seems like you are overheating all the time when at temp?

You can do the thermostat first it is cheap, and get a new radiator cap.