Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search

For those that are able to help, i'm greatly appreciated.

I already took the front wheels to be balanced. The front wheels are miata wheels, so there 'could' be an issue with the hubs being different.

Characteristics:
Above 60 and to around 80 (high as i went) the steering wheel shakes very violently. The odd thing is that it isn't consistant. Sometimes you're going 70mph, and it won't shake, and then suddenly will. The shaking is pretty violent and more than likely unsafe. The axles seem okay. The motor mounts do need ot be changed. Could the steering rack have gone bad?

Ideas? Cost of fixing?

Thanks

Danny
Old 08-10-2003, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search (R6Elmo)

You running the stock wheels/rims?

I had a similar situation happen when I was running on wheels with the wrong centering rings. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

got hub centering rings?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search (SiRGodfather)

i'm running on stock miata wheels. I'm not certain if the centering caps are similar. yet my experience has been that centering caps DON'T make this much of a difference. I'm new to hondas of course, so maybe they are more sensitive to little balance issues. Thanks for your response.

But this shaking is pretty viloent. you can hear the steering wheel/shaft just clanking and banging against sometihng.

Danny
Old 08-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search (R6Elmo)

i looked around, and what i found is that the right passenger axle is a bit messed up. It has some play of roughly 1/8" horizontally. I can hear it clunk/click a bit as well. Could this cause my problem?

Danny
Old 08-10-2003, 09:32 PM

you should check for tie rod end play.. see if the wheels are torqued down, and any bushing is extremely damage
Old 08-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try rebalancing the wheels.. maybe a bearing went..
Old 08-11-2003, 02:01 AM

check your tires... maybe a alignment shuold help?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi-speed shake/vibration = un balanced tires/wheels. do the miata wheels sit on the hub properly? the bore has to be the same size or bigger than the stock honda. if the bore is bigger, and you have to do your best to make sure the lugs center the wheel. aftermarket wheels are easy to center w/o hub rings b/c they use cone lugs, which center the lug holes to the studs. i dunno what kinda lugs the miata wheels use tho
Old 08-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6Elmo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i looked around, and what i found is that the right passenger axle is a bit messed up. It has some play of roughly 1/8" horizontally. I can hear it clunk/click a bit as well. Could this cause my problem?

Danny</TD></TR></TABLE>
If the axle has that much play in it, I would replace it. Don't take your car on the highway again until you resolve this problem.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Steering wheel shake - could it be steering rack? did search (94RedSiGal)

Thanks for the responses fellas.

The miata wheels have been balanced. I have another set of aftermarket wheels that i'm going to throw on, but the studs are stripped from teh previous owner, so i need to replace those.

I'm in need of axles, so that's next on my list. I'll also go ahead and purchase some steering bushings (since they are cheap and easy to replace) and i'll check the tie-rods for play as well.

The miata center hub is actually SMALLER than the stock one. Whoever put them on pressed them on and used the lugs as a press. This deformed teh center bore of the wheels a tad. not good.

danny
Old 08-11-2003, 07:58 AM

Default Re: (untuned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untuned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should check for tie rod end play.. see if the wheels are torqued down, and any bushing is extremely damage</TD></TR></TABLE>