Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with Engine Codes

Old 04-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Engine Codes

My Girlfriends 97 Civic's automatic transmission is slipping once the car is warmed up. The check engine light cam on and I was able to dump the codes. Here is what I got
70 Automatic Transmission malfunction with the automatic transmission controls
71 Cylinder 1 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire
72 Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire
73 Cylinder 3 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

What should I look for? These codes don't seem to pinpoint an actual faulty part just a condition. Haqs anyone got some insight to this?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Help with Engine Codes (JeepGuy)

I'd take it to a tranny shop, or the dealer. It seems kind of strange that an AT controls code pops up under a slipping condition. But maybe that is normal for a Honda. I would think a controls type fault would be something along the lines of a soilnoid not functioning. Which would usually result in the loss of 2 out of the 4 forward gears. A slipping trans is more likely caused by a Mechanical or Hydraulic problem.

Does the engine seem to run ok? Or do you think its actually misfiring?

The reason I ask is that a slip in the drive train can sometimes trip an OBDII misfire code even when the engine is still running fine.

hope that helps, good luck
Old 04-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with Engine Codes (toolbox)

Well from talking to her it sounds like she needs wires she complained of misfire and rough idel when wet. Could this problem with the motor cause the transmission to behave funny? I am going to do the plugs and wires as these seem to fit with the wet misfire. I drove the vehicle for 1/2 an hour and it shifted and ran fine until it warmed up. The tranny seems to slip only from a stop in first gear. It feels like riding a clutch in a standard car. Once it grabs in first it quickly shifts hard into second. Shifts between second and third and downshifts seem fine. I checked the levels and everything is fine fluid wise. The tranny fluid had a slight smell to it but doesn't seem to be burnt.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:38 PM

Ok

If there are symptoms of misfire besides the codes I would address them first. Plugs and wires proably wouldn't be a bad idea. If there is oil in the plug wire holes you should do a valve cover gasket. When was the car last tuned? How many miles are on it?

Old 04-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the torque converter. (its the thing auto trannys have instead of a clutch) since you say its slipping...thats usually whats at fault.