Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help diagnose

95 JDM GSR motor rebuilt with 4,500 miles on it.

The other day I didn’t put my radiator cap on right and it feel off while I was driving and the coolant came out. Don’t really know how far I drove before I came to a stop, but I know it wasn’t far before I realized what had happened. The car didn’t overheat at that time.

I put more coolant and a new radiator cap. Later when I started the car, a puff of white smoke came out the exhaust , but the car ran fine, idles fine, etc….

Saturday night the car started to idle a little funny so I started to check things out. I noticed smoke starting to come out the exhaust, which was a light white smoke. Not a lot, but some was coming out. Then I noticed a little what looked to be water coming out the exhaust as well. At first I thought I had bent a valve somehow, but I did a compression test and all numbers are 210 across.

The smoked stopped after a bit, so we went for a drive, hit about 5lbs of boost, car seemed fine, pulled like normal. Went back to the garage, checked things out , then the smoke started to come back, not a lot, just a little. Then it would stop , then come back again. I checked my coolant and saw no signs of oil, car wasn’t over heating, just some white smoke out the exhaust. So then I looked under the oil cap and saw a thin film of what seemed to be the milky stuff  .

So… ya’ll think I have a small headgasket leak? That’s what I’m thinking , but trying to get other opinions before I pull the head off.

Thanks and sorry for the long story, but wanted to try to explain everything to help diagnose.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: help diagnose (boostedeghatch)

anyone
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Drain the oil and see if there is any coolant(might appear to look milky) in it, if there is the headgasket needs to be replaced. Hopefully thats the worst of it and nothing happened to the surface of the head or block.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:15 PM

i thought your oil would only look milky if you have a bad blown headgasket.

i think mine is just leaking a little. maybe on the lines of it not being a "fully" blown headgasket.

my oil looks to have a little water mixed it with it, but its not the milky white looking.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 AM

Well if there is water in your oil wether its leaking or completely blown you should probably replace it.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your head might be lifting letting the coolant by the headgasket during boost. if you arent using arp head studs you should get ready to do a head gasket and the studs to cure it.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your head might be lifting letting the coolant by the headgasket during boost. if you arent using arp head studs you should get ready to do a head gasket and the studs to cure it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

At 5LBS I don't think so. I would say just drive some more. Pay special attention
to the oil, coolant, and temp guage.

Drain the oil and look for signs of coolant being mixed.

With those compression numbers its hard to tell.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Slamaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slamaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At 5LBS I don't think so. I would say just drive some more. Pay special attention
to the oil, coolant, and temp guage.

Drain the oil and look for signs of coolant being mixed.

With those compression numbers its hard to tell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

5 psi isnt much, but stock head bolts stretch pretty quickly w/ boost at any level.

i agree, probably not the deal here, but something that doesnt need overlooked.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

well, i made another post about another problem that it may be.

i took off my IM and the gasket was wet around where the water line goes to on the IM. somehow, i was also missing a bolt that goes on the IM in that area. along the bottom of the intake manifold gasket, it was wet around the #2 and #3 cyl. also around the runners of the IM was a little wet as well. due to the missing bolt, you think the IM wasn't sealed right at that spot and the water was seeping through and going into the head? the #4 cyl was the only spark plug that was wet and thats where the water line is on the manifold and thats where the oil cap is also. so water getting in the head through the IM on cyl #4 would explain the thin film of milky stuff on the oil cap.

i drained all coolant and it looks very clean. as well as the oil , looks clean. from my understanding , the most vacum occurs at idle at the IM and thats when you would see the white smoke, but when driving, there was no smoke.

any thoughts of this being the IM leaking coolant into the head?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM

That could also be why there was coolant or water in your oil. I've changed a few IM gaskets and that was the problem...i would changing that and then see what happends. Its a lot less work and money to change the IM gasket as opposed to the headgasket.