Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help check engine light problem p0420 bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help check engine light problem p0420 bank 1

hi guys im new to this forum... honda 98 dx

i got a check engine light on and took it to autozone to get and obd2 scan, i got a p420 bank1 problem.. now i got it diagnosed on car repair like midas... they lifted the car up then saw that it was on straight piping =( (no stock catalytic converter on, like that small one near the engine). i saw a headers then a Y like connection going down w/o the stock catalytic converter then something like this.. (i think its an after market cat/ dont know if its legal)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...item3f0911c506

or (incase it wont work)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic...item3caf0ac466

we tried changing the 1st 02 sensor then restarted the check engine light, then drive for 50miles or less then i took it to autozone for a obd2 scan,the CEL (check engine light was off.. says on the obd2 there was no problem, so i smog test it, it passed.. after 6 hours of driving the light went back on.,(probably it noticed the lack of cat? or the 2nd 02 sensor is old?) i got to use if for a year, now i have to smog again coz my registration is almost up

i spent 250$ just for replacing the 02 sensor was a rip off, since im new to this... + 70$ the diagnosing fee at midas like autocare.

now, someone told me i should go for a catback exhaust.. but i saw the definition of cat back exhaust is after market products installed after the catalytic converter ( so it wouldnt make sense). can anybody give a suggestion? because the oem from honda dealership is way way to expensive about 800-900$. i was planning for this kind of set up below (the description said by the author is complete exhaust)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...Q5fAccessories

and im planning to buy on ebay 2 new o2 sensors,

1) but i'm wondering if it is LEGAL (says off road use only) is it the sound or??
2) will it take the check engine light off?
3) will i be pulled over because of the sound even w that silencer installed (as stated removable or not)
4) what are my other options?

please help tnx.. my smog is on june -.- tnx fellas im in vegas btw incase you have any idea about the rules. trying to fix it asap
Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Help check engine light problem p0420 bank 1

Originally Posted by elite143
hi guys im new to this forum... honda 98 dx

i got a check engine light on and took it to autozone to get and obd2 scan, i got a p420 bank1 problem.. now i got it diagnosed on car repair like midas... they lifted the car up then saw that it was on straight piping =( (no stock catalytic converter on, like that small one near the engine). i saw a headers then a Y like connection going down w/o the stock catalytic converter then something like this.. (i think its an after market cat/ dont know if its legal)
What do you mean by that (bolded)? It's has a cat or it doesn't?

If not, the test pipe (the ebay link) is the problem. I'm not sure why you are talking about replacing 02 sensors - you didn't mention a code for the primary 02 sensor and the secondary is obviously working because you are getting the P0420 code.

P0420 = Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

To get rid of the P0420, you will need a properly working catalytic converter.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the 96-00 DX the CC is up near the engine (you didn't say what year your car is) so the CC you would normally expect to see underneath the car is not there.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Trial User

the engine goes like this, headers > y pipe going down (just a pipe NO cat on it like the stock fat one)> this thing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic...item3caf0ac466 > then exhaust tip

is the ebay link a legal catalytic converter or is it a resonator or a test pipe or are they all the same? sorry im new to the other names. tnx for the quick response.. if u can determine that picture as a cat, then probably if i buy this (below link)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...Q5fAccessories it would all be complete w a cat and the CEL would go off???

the o2 replacement was adviced by the mechanic so we tried changing the 1st sensor, and the lights went out after a reset then went back on after 6hrs of driving,

but my plan is, if someone could tell me that the ebay link that i would like to buy, the "complete set" if it would take that damn CEL out and legally i can drive i would buy it asap
tnx for the quick response
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
On the 96-00 DX the CC is up near the engine (you didn't say what year your car is) so the CC you would normally expect to see underneath the car is not there.
yes thats what im trying to say, the original cc wAs not there.. somehow it was altered by the previous owner... he made it like these >>> engine >headers > a "y" like pipe going down then > a cC aftermarket like device http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic...item3caf0ac466 > then exhaust

so basing on the obd2 code its a cat problem? can u tell me that link is a cat or a resonator or a testpipe or are they all the same? please somehow google gives me the same pix and every pix has different names so it must be all the same, just wana be sure.. and yes the mechanic was using an online tool to check the car. and he somehow saw that it was different, it was suppose to be near the "y pipe like thing" the cc should be. tnx
Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first link in your above post looks like a test pipe and will do nothing for your problem,there are no guts in it it is not a converter,and it is a huge rip-off at that price.

Your second link is a full exhaust system but still uses a test pipe,so is no good for your problem either.

If your car does not have the catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold because it has a header instead then you need to use an exhaust for an EX civic or an aftermarket exhaust.The EX civic has the converter in the "normal" place under the car.
Look for a direct fit catalytic converter for an EX and it should just bolt in where your straight pipe or test pipe or whatever you have is.

Pics of your set-up would help everyone to help you sort this out with the information you need or even a drawing if thats all you can do.
I can get an EX directfit converter from Advance autoparts for $150 so you should be able to get one for not much more.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Resident Gearhead

Originally Posted by Jockone
Look for a direct fit catalytic converter for an EX and it should just bolt in where your straight pipe or test pipe or whatever you have is.
This ^ is the solution.

That ebay exhaust system is not the solution.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay item number 310296940030 is one part that would work for you but you might have to buy more than just that depending on how your exhaust is now.

If you want to you could use the second link in your other posts(the one for the complete system and add in the converter that I gave you the ebay item number for instead of the testpipe and you would have a complete new exhaust.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
What do you mean by that (bolded)? It's has a cat or it doesn't?

If not, the test pipe (the ebay link) is the problem. I'm not sure why you are talking about replacing 02 sensors - you didn't mention a code for the primary 02 sensor and the secondary is obviously working because you are getting the P0420 code.

P0420 = Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

To get rid of the P0420, you will need a properly working catalytic converter.
^^What he said...I have this same issue right now and it's because I need a new catalytic converter (the one I have crapped out). Also, as someone stated, those ebay links are NOT catalytic converters, but are test pipes (no guts to filter out the gasses).

Solution = Buy a new catalytic converter!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Trial User

Ebay item number 310296940030 is one part that would work for you but you might have to buy more than just that depending on how your exhaust is now.

If you want to you could use the second link in your other posts(the one for the complete system and add in the converter that I gave you the ebay item number for instead of the testpipe and you would have a complete new exhaust.
ok i guess im gona have to get this "complete kit" (link) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...Q5fAccessories

then instead of the test pipe ill put this instead (the one you gave with the item number 310296940030 on ebay) link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=

even though its a 1999 2000 HONDA Civic EX Si 1.6L CATALYTIC CONVERTER as posted on its title will it work? will i be in trouble(pulled over) for the sound it will produce?
if everyone (experts like you) is agreeing that this will work , i guess im gona go for it tnx, im on a tight budget right now-
Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i dont even have a secondary o2 sensor on my dx. i took it out because it was touching the axle thanks to my new header. is the cel just getting on your nerves or is it illegal to dive without a catalytic converter where you live?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Townson
lol i dont even have a secondary o2 sensor on my dx. i took it out because it was touching the axle thanks to my new header. is the cel just getting on your nerves or is it illegal to dive without a catalytic converter where you live?
i live in las vegas nv, and its time for my smog test to renew the registration of the car i think june... so i wana fix this asap, but when we we're diagnosing it before we try to change the 1st 02 sensor somehow the CEL was gone, then it lit again after 6hrs, so it mustve recognized the lack of CAT converter since a test pipe was installed..
set up is headers > y pipe >1st 02> testpipe >2nd 02> exhaust tip

we thought the testpipe is a cat, zzZz noobs -.- sory juz new.
if experts can answer my last question in the post above so i can buy it, tnx
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Trial User

i just noticed that the item number you gave is a DOHC Naturally Aspirated,

while it says my 98 dx is a SOHC Naturally Aspirated i found here (link) and it said to be compatible for honda 98 dx 2dr coupe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...item588cb6d329

does it matter if the one you recommended is for 99-00 DOHC engine and while i have a 98 dx SOHC engine?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Resident Gearhead

Originally Posted by Townson
is the cel just getting on your nerves or is it illegal to dive without a catalytic converter where you live?

It's illegal to drive without a catalytic converter everywhere in the US.
It's a Federal law.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The number I gave you was for an EX or Si the EX is SOHC and the Si is DOHC the converter is the same.
As far as it goes with buying the whole exhaust system from your earlier post,you might not need anything but the converter,from what you say your exhaust might have allready been converted and it might just need the test pipe removed and the converter bolted in instead.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Trial User

The number I gave you was for an EX or Si the EX is SOHC and the Si is DOHC the converter is the same.
As far as it goes with buying the whole exhaust system from your earlier post,you might not need anything but the converter,from what you say your exhaust might have allready been converted and it might just need the test pipe removed and the converter bolted in instead.
thanks, great help Great forum! i think ill buy the new complete system coz the pipe it had,had some welded connections on it near the test pipe area, and to buy the item number you gave, so i dont need an 02 sensor? i dont know about the p0420 code if it also means an 02 replacement aswell..
but i just obd2 scan it again it gave a cannister evap leak code, so i am going to the junk yard with a mechanic tomorrow to pick a part hes charging me 40$ to fix that cannister evap leak, and 40$ to hook the new exhaust system when i got it, buying tonight =D no homo
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you are going to have to start by fitting a converter to the system and from there you will know if you need to get an O2 sensor.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
It's illegal to drive without a catalytic converter everywhere in the US.
It's a Federal law.
well i've never had a problem with johnny law because of it. cops down here are too lazy to look for that kind of stuff.