Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help: 92 civic wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help: 92 civic wont start

it almost started a few times, the engine just started clicking really slowly, like it was started and was running in slow motion or something. everytime we cranked it for a bit, after stepping on the throttle when it seems like its gonna start, the air intake kinda spat out air (or atleast seemed like it) when we stopped trying to start it.

i went to canadian tire got the battery checked, and charged
i tried to use quick start on the throttle body, but no luck

people told me to check the fuel filter, fuel pump, and spark plugs
can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located, i am a newbie to engines..
Old 03-21-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help: 92 civic wont start (neilff)

It sounds like you are doing the right stuff in the right order. The fuel filter is located on the firewall behind the intake manifold. It is a black cylinder about half the height of a soda can. Should have two fuel lines bolted to it.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: help: 92 civic wont start (willahlborn)

okay, i thought it was that

how do i go about inspecting it? and when i do get to it, how should it appear if its 'good'?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:38 PM

They're pretty cheap to replace. If you haven't done it before, I would recommend replacing it. I guess to test it, unhook the negative battery cable. Wait 10 mins. Remove fuel lines from the fuel filter. Make sure to put plenty of rags below the filter to catch dripping fuel. Remove filter. Wipe it off; you should be able to blow in the inlet without much restriction. Kinda nasty though, I'd just recommend replacing it anyway. Also, take out your spark plugs. Inspect the tips. If they're good, they may be a little brown but with no oil or deposits.

Testing the fuel pump:

Before you take anything apart, turn the ignition "on" but do not crank the engine. If the pump is working, you should hear an electonic-sounding whine from under the back seat. It should stop after 2-3 seconds meaning the fuel lines have been pressurized.

A less-safe method would be to take off the fuel filter, and have a friend turn the ignition "on" (with the battery hooked up) BUT ONLY FOR A SECOND!!!!! Fuel *will* squirt with some force from your fuel hose. Make sure to REALLY MOP IT UP GOOD!! If fuel doesn't squirt, or it only does a little bit, then it's a bad fuel pump.

Also, check the contacts inside your distributor cap. Make sure they are in good shape, so nothing is stopping the spark from going to the plugs.

Here is a side story... Once, my car would misfire once in a while but I thought it was no big deal (93 civic dx). Then, under load and going up a hill, I heard a "bang" from the engine and I had almost no power.... I mean, 10 hp or less. Finally the engine stopped. I looked, and could see no problem. I replaced *everything*. Distributor cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter, everything. When I tried to crank it, it wouldn't start, so I took off the distributor cap again. I thought the ******** at the auto store sold me the wrong distributor rotor because it was taking chunks out of the distributor cap contacts as it rotated.

It turns out the bearings inside the *distributor* had disintegrated, letting the distributor rotor wobble inside the cap and there you go. New distributor, $250 USD. It sucked.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:59 PM

okay
i checked the fuel pump like you said
heard a whirring noise

were gonna check the spark plugs now by removing them
then move to distrubutor, and finally the fuel filter

hopefully its spark plugs

also, this engine burns a little bit of oil
im thinking this might be the problem, causing the spark
plugs to not operate correctly???
Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 PM

I would only suspect that that was the main problem if the tips of the plugs are wet with oil. Lots of cars burn oil but they can still run... Have you inspected the intake for blockages (no air)?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:05 PM

bump

still wont run
heres what we've checked:

- distrubutor (new)
- rotor (new)
- spark plugs (new, all spark)
- plug wires (new)
- fuel filter (flows, and clean)
- battery (charged & fine w/ levels)
- starting with no air filter (straight off tb)

nothing has worked so far
the engine just tries to start with no luck
any other suggestions?

this is *****, i wanna go out.....