Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator???

OK, I'm unfortunately 80% sure that this is the ELD (Electric Load Detector) causing this but let me know what you guys think.

While driving, if you are off the gas, the headlights are bright. If you give it just a tiny bit of gas (driving on level surface at a constant speed) the headlights will get dimmer. Give it a little more gas (as if you were going up a slight incline) and the headlights come back to normal brightness.

No, it's not the belt so don't even mention that. This crap is driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure that it's the ELD but I also know there's a very slight possibility that it could also be the regulator in the alternator. Or is this normal and I'm just being too critical?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator??? (RyanA)

MY hatch has done this forever i dont know what it is, did u search first? Im sure there is a honda head that knows the answer
Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator??? (zdizzle)

Sure did search it and pretty much every result had people saying "did you search it first?" So, how about we finally get this topic where it has a real answer??? Anyone else have a technical reply?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the alternator tested at your local auto parts store, I think its one of the two myself. A lot of the time you can you can clean the eld with electrical parts cleaner and fix it too.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator??? (z6hatchboy)

All my parts store can tell me is if it works or not. It charges so they say it's fine. I guess I could swap out the ELD. I almost wonder if about every 96-00 Civic does this. I noticed a while back that my wife's EX does the same thing; just not as dramatic a change in light intensity.

Ryan
Old 03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

It's the alternator.

The ELD is simply an energy saving device to give the alternator a rest at times of low electrical load. In addition, a bad ELD will typically throw a CEL code.

As mentioned already, have your alternator tested at AutoZone for free. Replacing the alternator will likely solve the problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator??? (RonJ_HT)

I have another alternator in the garage. When I do my axles, I'll just go ahead and put it in there. I'll post back whether or not it fixes the problem as soon as I get a chance.

Ryan
Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. Update. BRAND NEW OEM Honda alternator installed when I put my new axles in. Problem is still EXACTLY the same. Any other suggestions people? I had a feeling it wasn't the alternator but the charge stud was pretty nasty looking with rust so I was going to replace it anyway...

Any way to safely disable ELD on these cars? I know it's built into the bottom of the underhood fuse panel... Can I just do an OBD1 ECU instead of my OBD2A ECU and click "disable ELD" in my options when burning a chip? Or is there more to it than that?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well let me give a shot at something. Do you have any cel's? Also I've read and had this problem before also. Have you looked into checking the engine harness in the back where the intake manifold bracket sits? Sometimes those wires get cut and stuff and ground out with the bracket. Look at the wires and see if they aint ripped or something. G/L
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator??? (mortificationrock)

Harness is perfect. When I do a swap, I put the harness on the engine/trans when they are out of the car so I can run and fasten it exactly how I want.

Lately, I've noticed that almost all 96-00's do this. Maybe I'm just too **** on the lights going bright to dim and I just shouldn't worry about it.

No CEL's, either.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

raising this up from the dead... i have the exact same problem, and yes, i have already replaced my alternator
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FV-QR

I've had this problem and have heard of multiple Civics having the exact same issue. I never solved it. I made a thread about it awhile back. My readings were all normal and fine for the battery and alternator. I haven't driven much at night lately, so I haven't been noticing it, but I'm sure it hasn't "fixed" itself.

I found this several days ago though. It's a Technical Service Bulletin from Honda.

I haven't gone out and tried it out myself yet, but hopefully this will end up helping someone!

Headlight/Dash Light - Intermittent Intensity Changes

98-029

March 31, 1998

Applies To: 1997-98 Civic - See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Intermittent Changes in Headlight and Dash Light Intensity

SYMPTOM

The intensity of the headlights and dash lights changes intermittently. If the blower motor is on when this happens, its speed changes.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The voltage regulator is faulty.

VEHICLES AFFECTED

1997 Civic:
From April 1997 thru end of 1997 production (Check the production month on the driver's doorjamb sticker.)

1998 Civic:
From beginning of 1998 production thru January 1998 (Check the production month on the driver's doorjamb sticker.)

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Diagnose the problem (see DIAGNOSIS). If necessary (based on your findings), tighten the alternator B terminal wire at the alternator and the under-hood fuse/relay box or replace the alternator.

PARTS INFORMATION

Alternator: P/N 311 00-P2E-A02RM, H/C 5621867

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Failed part: P/N 31100-P2E-A02
H/C 5631767

Defect code: 067

Contention code: B02

Skill level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

Diagnosis

1. Test the battery (see page 23-77 of the 1996-1998 Civic Service Manual). To accurately test the voltage regulator, the battery must be in good condition and fully charged, with any surface charge removed.

2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature, then connect a voltmeter to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

3. Read the charging voltage after running the engine at 2,000 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes with all electrical loads OFF

^ If the reading is less than 13.5 V or more than 15.1 V, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.

^ If the reading is between 13.5 V and 15.1 V, go to step 4.

4. Turn off the ignition switch, and connect the voltmeter to the battery positive terminal and the alternator B terminal.

5. Start the engine, then read the voltage drop with the engine at 2,000 rpm and all electrical loads ON.

^ If the reading is less than 0.4 V, the charging system is working OK at this time. Return the vehicle to the customer.

^ If the reading is more than 0.4 V, tighten the nut on the alternator B terminal and the bolt attaching the white wire to the under-hood fuse/relay box. Go to step 6.

6. Repeat the voltage drop test.

^ If the reading is less than 0.4 V, the charging system is working OK at this time. Return the vehicle to the customer.

^ If the reading is still more than 0.4 V, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

Repair Procedure

Replace the alternator (see page 23-105 of the 1996-1998 Civic Service Manual).

I put these all in different posts so it was a little easier to read.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM

id definatly say its the alternator
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default civic alternator intermittent

Originally Posted by mattyv
id definatly say its the alternator

i'v changed my alternator 3 times already. and i'v checked the battery wire.

i had the exact same problem in my single cam and now after a motor swap its exactly the same thing with a brand new alternator. not rebuilt.

there's gotta be some way to fix this.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it just your headlights or does your A/C controls dim too? I've noticed the A/C dimming a lot lately
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its everything, dash lights, blower fan, radio illumination. my radio has a volt meter built in and i just watch it and it drops to 11.9 - 12.4 constantly even if i have the lights on and blower. i'm thinking my ELD's busted. but at times it goes to 14.4v so i dunno.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did some reading about the ELD and it looks like everyone is resorting to this one article.....

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...e-battery.html

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/batt-alternator-2443100/#post36602276

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic254718.htm

http://www.2ndgen.info/DIY/ServiceNews/2000/B001200.pdf

Lights Dimming and the ELD
Soon after the change from daylight savings time to standard time (the last Sunday in October), Tech Line gets numerous calls about flickering or dimming headlights or dashlights when brakes or turn signals are used. This flickering or momentary dimming happens when the battery is supplying most of the electrical load, not the alternator. It’s something customers are more likely to notice when the during their dark evening commutes that start with the change from daylight savings time to standard time. If your customer complains about the lights dimming, tell them about the ELD and how it works.
Since the early ’90s, all vehicle charging systems have an ELD (electrical load detector). The ELD sends a signal to the ECM/PCM that’s proportional to electrical demand. The ECM/PCM then switches the alternator between normal and low output depending on several factors, which include electrical demand, battery charge level, and the driving cycle. When the alternator is off, the engine load is reduced and fuel economy improves. Unless the vehicle won’t crank or it has other symptoms of a weak battery, the lights dimming is probably not a sign of electrical or charging system trouble.

im not saying this is right...but id like to know for sure if you do find out what it really is lol.

Last edited by k20civicsi; 12-17-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator???

up... for a burden
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
DB squad #282

mine does this other way around. good luck
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your case it's probably the alternator
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM

i have the same problem when i start my car if fine foe about 3 are 4 minutes then all my light inside an out flicker very fast i went an got a new battier an Honda alternator still have the same problem an i cant drive at night cop pulled me over my light flicker bad ,97 hatch
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just noticed this very same problem on mine. I'll perform all steps that NOFX posted and report back on Sunday.

00' Si
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem as you guys described. I replace my battery and it seems to be working.

Quick Reply: Headlights bright then dim. ELD or "loose" regulator???