Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

has anyone heard of winstar ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone heard of winstar ?

"winstar" i heard it was a motor company ... located in cali ... not sure if i spelt it right ...

but any ways i heard they sell smog legal motors

anyone heard of it .. ?

( im lookiing for a 94 Si motor )

Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: has anyone heard of winstar ? (HCJDM1)

http://www.hmotorsonline.com

Why go anywhere else?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"winstar" i heard it was a motor company ... located in cali ... not sure if i spelt it right ...

but any ways i heard they sell smog legal motors

anyone heard of it .. ?

( im lookiing for a 94 Si motor )

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does it have to be a 94 Si motor?

You do know you can get any 92-95 EX or Si motor, right? (Same exact motor)
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: has anyone heard of winstar ? (Syndacate)

yeah i know that .. but i heard about a new smog law in 2008 and i really dont want to have to deal with any of that legal crap ...

its something about the motor must match ECU someting like that

you know anything about that ?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has anyone heard of winstar ? (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hmotorsonline.com

Why go anywhere else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh..I dont' think they sell D16Z6's on hmotorsonline....

Though a JDM D15b would take the place just the same O.o
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know that .. but i heard about a new smog law in 2008 and i really dont want to have to deal with any of that legal crap ...

its something about the motor must match ECU someting like that

you know anything about that ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ODB must match the engine...like if it's a 97 it can't be ODB-I....

Anyways, all engines/ECU/s And ODB-I for 92-95 - same exact engine in every single aspect including years...NOTHING changed AT ALL on the Ex or the Si...

So u have a wider variety of motors to choose from rather than just a "94 si motor"
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 PM

o ... ok .. i know theres a link for motors .. but which would you recomend ...

Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want the stock '94 Si I recommend picking up the JDM D15B from hmotors online. It has 1/10th of a liter less displacement than the D16Z6 that's stock in your Si, but makes up for it, it is the only D15B that has VTEC (US D15B7's don't have VTEC) and has more aggressive camshafts than the D16Z6. In short, it's 1/10th of a liter smaller than your D16Z6, but it puts out roughly the same hp...not whp (torque is a bit lower due to smaller displacement)..

I'd take a D15b over a D16Z6 anyday....IMO the JDM D15B's are snappy little *******....you can pick one up from h-motors online for like 450 I think, they're not expensive....and the optional LSD (recommend it) isn't much more expensive. And if ur going to race with it - the hasport mount kit will also help you out .

As a daily driver, just buying the complete change over from hmotorsonline will help you GREATLY. It'll have everything u need (axles, ECU, tranny, etc.), it'll mount right up to your existing Si mounts ... Most of the ****'s the same between MOST (not all...but definately these 2) d-series motors. So you can use the same mounts (unless they're broken - it'll come with the new ECU, new axles, and new tranny. I believe it's a better motor than the D16Z6 despite the slightly lower torque rating.

I don't know how much shipping is though O.O - Might wanna pick it up if that's optional (throw 'em an e-mail and ask..or I'm sure somebody on here can tell you about how much their shipping is..)

As for another D16Z6, you can pick up another one for like 300...everything's swappable exactly of course..

Any D16Z6 will be fine for that ODB and that car - they're all ODB-I, all USDM, all use same axles, all 92-95 Ex's and Si's, all used the same gear gox, etc.

EDIT:
Now that's taking the stock (or almost stock) route...if you want more power u'll need a B-series engine (such as the GSR (b18c1) or B16a2)...they cost a lot though. If you want power out of a D-series motor you have to turbo it...or u'll pay out the *** to soup it up all motor....

Or you can look at the DOHC ZC motor...that's JDM....rare as hell (a lot of them have been taken already)...but it's basically same **** as the D16Z6 - not worth it IMO....

Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM

cool thanks .. but i have the stock DX motor ... i think its a d15 ...im looking for more power ... but still want to pass smog in cali ... thats all ...

so everything you named prior to this post will past smog in cali ... because i heard a JDM wont pass smog ...

Old 08-25-2006, 11:43 PM
HT Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCJDM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool thanks .. but i have the stock DX motor ... i think its a d15 ...im looking for more power ... but still want to pass smog in cali ... thats all ...

so everything you named prior to this post will past smog in cali ... because i heard a JDM wont pass smog ...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your D15 is NOT the same as the JDM D15 he is reffering too. And you can pass california smog easilly, just make sure you hook the emissions equipment backup.