Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car?

a friend of mine has a set of tokico lluminas, Progress Springs and a Progress rear sway bar off of his 2000 Si... i plan on not using the springs though and getting springs with less of a drop or coilovers. he was going to sell this all and install it with me all for $250. this will be the first time i've helped somebody drop a car BTW.... and he's selling me all this stuff cheap cuz he bought Teins.

he's telling me i need about $100 dollars worth of **** from the Honda dealership to lower my car with, and he is going to give me a list of the stuff.. he saids its bolts and miscellaneous stuff that they would use if you got new shocks from a dealership.

now this friend of mine is very ****, and i'm sure i don't need these bolts and **** that he's talking about.. am i right? can't i just use my stock parts?
Old 04-16-2003, 03:00 PM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (Synthesis)

why would you get new shocks from a dealership?

when i installed my springs/shocks on my 92 hatch, i ended up getting two rear lower control arm bolts and two rear lower control arm bushings...but ended up using only one bushing...it was about 40 bucks? maybe...honda **** is expensive
Old 04-16-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (Heinz57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heinz57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you get new shocks from a dealership?

when i installed my springs/shocks on my 92 hatch, i ended up getting two rear lower control arm bolts and two rear lower control arm bushings...but ended up using only one bushing...it was about 40 bucks? maybe...honda **** is expensive</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was telling me that if people buy new shocks they gotta buy the same parts.. and they were over 100.. so i guess he meant the bushings and bolts, and was overexaggerating the price.

40 sounds a bit more reasonable, but he said it would be about 100 and up to get the parts..

does anybody know if you really need the bushing and bolts on a 98 coupe with 60k miles.. or should i just replace an LCA bolt if one breaks.

thanks

Old 04-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (Synthesis)

There's a difference between being **** and being stupid with your money.

If your Helm manual says "replace" then it is probably a good idea to replace, but AFAIK, that applies to nothing you'd be replacing with a spring/shock install.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (SkyeC)

there's really no need to get new bolts and bushings unless they're in realy bad shape. my car didnt need new ones when i put in my kybs but i've seen alotta friends break those damn rear lower lca bolts. i had a friend shear the head off of two. one right after another. i'd say dont buy it if it doesnt break and looks good, but maybe leave some spare time to work just in case
Old 04-16-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (Pengo)

oh yea...sorry..i forgot to mention that i had to buy new bolts/bushings because i broke both bolts...but then again, my car is 11 years old, so ha...but yeah, definatly buy the parts and keep the receit...then return the stuff you don't use...it will be a lot easier at the end.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car?

cool, it sounds like he's just being too meticulous... thanks for the info!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is 10 years old and I have never had to repalce a bolt. I'm on my 3rd suspension setup.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (Heinz57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heinz57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had to buy new bolts/bushings because i broke both bolts...but then again, my car is 11 years old</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to buy a thing from Honda.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synthesis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he was telling me that if people buy new shocks they gotta buy the same parts.. and they were over 100.. so i guess he meant the bushings and bolts, and was overexaggerating the price.

40 sounds a bit more reasonable, but he said it would be about 100 and up to get the parts..

does anybody know if you really need the bushing and bolts on a 98 coupe with 60k miles.. or should i just replace an LCA bolt if one breaks.

thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I replaced a few rubber bushings and washers on the shock/strut assembly, but I did not *HAVE* to. I also didn't have any trouble with any frozen bolts on my 98ex. I had about 75-80k miles when I installed my suspension.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: has anybody needed extra parts from Honda when you dropped your car? (kommon_sense)

yea it all depends on the age/condition of the car, how its been driven, where its located/weather etc. my friend had alotta problems with suspension bolts but i'm talkin about a 14 yr old car in upstate NY where the weather fluctuates between crazy winter snowstorms where all u see is white and salt for months and summer where it still heats up. basically his bushings and bolts were shot and the cars suspension had never been touched until we started workin on it so u can imagine what it looked like; splitting brake lines, rusted rotors, springs so old coils where literally deteriorating, bushings that resembled nothing like rubber. but yea, back on topic, u gotta do a nice once over on everything u plan to remove/touch and see if it mite need replacing. if its bad, better to replace rather than wait till it gets worse. if its a relatively new car with low mileage and is in good shape, then no need to waste the $$$. good luck