Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting started with Honda's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started with Honda's

Firstly, id like to start with, I'm not exactly sure where to post this.. Since GDD seems like strictly non-car stuff.

Hey everybody, I'm new to the HT forum and Honda's in general. Soon I'll be leaving highschool and heading out into the world of college (Oh boy.) And where I live I'll pretty much assuredly have to drive some ways out of the way to attend college. So, this brings up a problem. My first car was/is a 1967 Mustang that I've been working on for some years now, and as much as I love it, The gas mileage is awful 8-14 depending on how I drive it (so normally closer to 8) And to be realistic, I can't drive it every day to college especially with some concerns I have about the engine, which is a different story.

So, frankly I am here because I am intrigued. For the Majority of my time being involved with cars I've seen Honda's and Imports in general as not much more than ricey pieces of junk. Then, one day on my way home from school I was in a race with what I think was a later model mitsubishi eclipse that almost handed me my ***, and to be almost beat by an IMPORT That was the worst! But, that was the first time I actually considered imports seriously. Now here I am, In need of a fun enjoyable car that will also provide good gas mileage for communting. I've found that I actually in many cases really enjoy the look of an EG Hatch. And the thought of having a car that might actually handle reasonably well interests me. So, Here are my real questions..

Is a Honda right for me? I've got a decent amount of mechanical knowledge due to the project that was my first car (building engine, 5-speed swap, rearend, suspension, etc.) But, I hardly know much about fuel injection or anything like that.
If I was to get an EG, what should I look out for?
Would it be better to get an EF? They seem to be cheaper in a lot of cases.. Or is the extra money worth it for an EG?
Most importantly do you think I will I enjoy it coming from the type of cars I'm used to? (60's-80's cars and trucks)

-Thanks, Levi.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Getting started with Honda's

This is a tech forum. Do you have any specific technical questions about 92-00 Civics?
Old 02-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Actually. I guess I should've been more clear with my questions.. What are some problems I could potentially run into when looking for an EG civic (I typically know what to look for when looking at older American vehicles but, like I said before I've not got as much knowledge about new stuff, especially imports.), what sort of maintenance should I plan on doing? Is there any inherent things that would make an EG more difficult to work on or modify as compared to other types? Really, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into If I decide to go about this.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

What you're "getting into" is a car that is easy to work on and cheap to maintain, but with a mixed enough ownership crowd that it might be reliable, or it might be a complete shitbox.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get yourself a chiltons/helms manual and you're going to be set 98% of the time with any questions/problems you may need to diagnose. If you have SPECIFIC questions that it does not address, come here and search, then ask for help.
Welcome
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you dont' have any issues with your civic than its best to search for issues from other owners and read up on it.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice everyone c:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Being you seem to be leaning towards the EG (I'm going to assume the 92-95 civic hatchback in particular).

I don't think the FAQ has all the common issues in one consolidated area. I am pretty sure they are all covered there but spread out in many threads and links etc.

Common things with most 92-95 Civic Hatchbacks that I am aware of are:

1) Rear Fender Well rust, eventually getting to the rocker panels if given time.

2) Main relay cold solder joints.

3) Trailing Arm bushings are almost always shot by now.

4) Drivers side seat ripped/worn away exposing and deteriorating the foam padding in the door side of the back rest.

5) CV axle boots rotting away/splitting.

6) Steering dust boots rotting away/splitting.

7) Common tune up parts needing replacement.

8) Leaking heater core due to improper coolant changes (lack there of).

9) Head light sockets corroded and melted from poor contact.

10) Rear hatch glass shocks shot/leaking.

11) Rear hatch wiper blade bolts/nuts rusted up to the point of no removal.

12) Rear hatch window lift handle cracked, bolt/nut rusted beyond removal.

13) Coolant hoses cracking/bulging due to not being changed every 5-10 years.

14) Environmental control back lighting burned out.

15) Wire harness hack jobs for alarms/accessories/radios.

16) Shocks/Dampers blown from typical lowering springs on stock Struts.

17) Hard PCV hoses and sticking PCV valve.

18) Unchanged fuel filters.

19) Clogged Air filters.

20) Leaking Rear Main/Front Main seals and/or vtec seals and also quite often the front cam seal.

I think that is most of them. I'm sure there is a few more really common ones I missed.

They are good little cars for what they are. I know I enjoy my 33 MPG average while sounding like a race car Honda Civic Hatchback.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's actually pretty darn consistent. The only things above that I haven't experienced are numbers 8, 9, 11, 12, and 15. I've had my car for 14 years now. I could attribute the first four to the climate difference and the last to the fact that I've left mine in reasonably stock condition.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Fish Twig

Bahhh...you gotta be prepared when dealing with an older model civic. There's no way you're gonna hit them all at once.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Bahhh...you gotta be prepared when dealing with an older model civic. There's no way you're gonna hit them all at once.
I believe that is exactly what the OP was requesting of us, is information to be prepared for these older civics.

Some of it is of course common for all cars but many are civic specific.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks tomcat, that's more of what I was looking for. Now I'll know precisely what to look for while I'm searching for one. Though there seems to be a significant lack of them in my area.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Fish Twig

But you're not gonna hit them all at once. Best is just do the maintenance on the engine/transmission and go from there. Hit them as they come along.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info. Some of those problems listed are common among all model civics.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds like a pretty good idea, a list of known specific EG problems.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Fish Twig

Than we'll have to make a list of known 96-00 civics, and than a list of 01-05 civics,etc...etc...

And even though a list was created people will still ask the same question again. Guaranteed
Old 02-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Than we'll have to make a list of known 96-00 civics, and than a list of 01-05 civics,etc...etc...

And even though a list was created people will still ask the same question again. Guaranteed
This is actually a good thing to do and maybe label it "Buyers Guide XX-XX model".

You are absolutely right you won't hit all of them, but you also most likely won't dodge all of them either. And if you hit too many when looking at a car, probably best to just walk way. However, that means you need to know beforehand.

Will the question still get asked... Sure. Will there be a new link in the FAQ to point people to, most definitely.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think so too, honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been done before actually. Thanks for the info again tomcat, I didn't even think to consider a lot of what you've said to look for.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TomCat39
This is actually a good thing to do and maybe label it "Buyers Guide XX-XX model".

You are absolutely right you won't hit all of them, but you also most likely won't dodge all of them either. And if you hit too many when looking at a car, probably best to just walk way. However, that means you need to know beforehand.

Will the question still get asked... Sure. Will there be a new link in the FAQ to point people to, most definitely.
There are those who can handle it, and those who can't. I still remember the guy who bought a civic and than found out that the driver side apron was fucked up, that would've cost him couple grand to fix, price of another civic. Ouch

Edit: **** IT, just do it and stick in the FAQ's section. It would be easy for me to just direct them there instead of blasting them with "double u tee eff, search" posts.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by gibygreen
I think so too, honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been done before actually. Thanks for the info again tomcat, I didn't even think to consider a lot of what you've said to look for.
No worries mate. I knew exactly what you were thinking after watching all the car shows I tend to watch.

After seeing how the experts knew right where the rust spots are in the old Jaguar XKE's or how buddies of mine know the problem spots on the 914 Porsche, I realized that each car make and model has it's sensitive areas, and without research or just plain experience, some of these things even seasoned mechanics won't necessarily know.

Also what was said above about many of the things I mentioned are pretty common with all the civics from 2000 on back is true too.

Glad I could help.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Hysterically Calm

Using the starting list, adding in red what cars the common problems apply to.

It would be good if our members can help flesh out this list. Once we are all satisfied, I can copy the info into a post specifically for the faq.

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Common things with most 92-00 Civics and Del Sols. 92-95 civic is 5th gen, 96-00 civic is the 6th gen, and I'm not really sure the generation classification of the del sol beyond believing they ran from 94-97 for the bathtub sol.

1) Rear Fender Well rust, eventually getting to the rocker panels if given time. All 5th gen and 6th gen civics (not sure on the sols)

2) Main relay cold solder joints. All

3) Trailing Arm bushings are almost always shot by now. 5th, 6th and Sol (I think the Sol has trailing arm rear suspension)

4) Drivers side seat ripped/worn away exposing and deteriorating the foam padding in the door side of the back rest. 5th and 6th gen, suspect sol seats fair a bit better.

5) CV axle boots rotting away/splitting. All

6) Steering dust boots rotting away/splitting. All

7) Common tune up parts needing replacement. All

8) Leaking heater core due to improper coolant changes (lack there of). All

9) Head light sockets corroded and melted from poor contact. 5th gen for sure, don't know about 6th or Sol

10) Rear hatch glass shocks shot/leaking. All 5th gen hatchbacks I've seen. No experience with 6th gen or the Sol's trunk shocks

11) Rear hatch wiper blade bolts/nuts rusted up to the point of no removal. Most 5th gen hatchbacks in salted areas

12) Rear hatch window lift handle cracked, bolt/nut rusted beyond removal. Most 5th gen hatchbacks in salted areas

13) Coolant hoses cracking/bulging due to not being changed every 5-10 years. All

14) Environmental control back lighting burned out. 5th Gen, no experience with 6th gen or Sol

15) Wire harness hack jobs for alarms/accessories/radios. All

16) Shocks/Dampers blown from typical lowering springs on stock Struts. All

17) Hard PCV hoses and sticking PCV valve. All

18) Unchanged fuel filters.All

19) Clogged Air filters. All

20) Leaking Rear Main/Front Main seals and/or vtec seals and also quite often the front cam seal. All

Many of the all's are just time related and apply to any vehicle.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy one that's visibly/aesthetically looking good, and then upgrade all stock bushings, mounts, and wear/maintenance items.. After that go have fun in your new 30mpg car..
Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can vouch for del Sol's.

1. It's common to find a del sol with a rusted rear quarter panel.
3. Correct, commonly worn to bits due to irresponsible ownership.
4. Due to del Sol's seat bolsters being rather large, it is common to find ripped driver seat right at the bolster seam.
9. Have never experienced corroded headlight sockets. Needs Confirmed
10. I was told the del Sol's trunk shocks weren't supposed to assist opening, just hold the trunk open. Needs confirmed
11. N/A
12. N/A
14. Needs confirmed

And to add a few for del Sol's specifically:
1. Metal breaking around door latch.

I've thought about this one for quite some time and came to the conclusion that since the door is quite long and only supported by the hinge, when the body flexes, the door is resting on the latch and bends it back and forth until it breaks.

2. del Sol's are famous for leaking weather seals.

3. Arm rest adhesive no longer holds leather down.

4. Rear window garnish fading/cracking.

All pictures taken are of my:
1996 del Sol SI
D16Y8 manual

I'll add more as I think of 'em

Last edited by Ohmega; 02-10-2016 at 05:31 AM.