Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting ready for turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for turbo!

I own a 99 civic ex with a d16y8 engine......Im new to this and am wanting to put a turbo on it....right now its stock, what do i do to the engine to get ready for turbo?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

research is your best friend.

you pretty much dont need to do much to the motor now to get it ready for turbo other than pumping 91 octane fuel. unless you want to boost very high than you should be thinking about fully rebuilding internals but if you know how and wanted to boost that high you wouldn't be asking us questions like this.

i say just go to the turbo forum and start reading. you have options of either going custom turbo build up or buying a kit. its up to you.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (Tommyguns)

You might want to make sure that your car is in proper working condition. Check for any leaks and make sure your car doesnt burn oil when reving high. Might need new rings for that. A friend of mine didnt change his piston rings and ended up blowing the motor cuz of it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (asianjkim)

I'm doing the same thing in a month or so, have the kit, getting the final pieces together. As others have stated, depending on your HP goal and what PSI you'll be running depends on what you need to put in the motor itself. From what I understand 7-10 PSI is a SAFE area to be boosting, and a goal of 200-250 HP is a realistic and SAFE goal on a stock motor. http://www.turbod16.com is a very informative and helpful site. If you just read the stickys and such you'll get most of the info you need.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (bart2546)

i say instead of turboing a d series motor..use that turbo money and get at least a b16 or save up a lil more and maybe a b18c1 or more on top of that and a b18c

to be honest. with stock internals you're not gonna get a huge amount of hp..and once u have a basic internal setup ur gonna be ballparking AROUND 200hp. but with all that money u invested, you could have saved up for a b18c.

so what right? im basically trying to say instead of peaking ur d series motor with a turbo. invest in a b series motor and START with 200hp (if ur getting the type r)

u know what i mean? thats what im doing, im saving for a b18c. i could turbo my D but i dont want to start peaking horsepower at 200. i'd rather start with 200 and get more..alot more

just my opinion
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (slkleltlclh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slkleltlclh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say instead of turboing a d series motor..use that turbo money and get at least a b16 or save up a lil more and maybe a b18c1 or more on top of that and a b18c

to be honest. with stock internals you're not gonna get a huge amount of hp..and once u have a basic internal setup ur gonna be ballparking AROUND 200hp. but with all that money u invested, you could have saved up for a b18c.

so what right? im basically trying to say instead of peaking ur d series motor with a turbo. invest in a b series motor and START with 200hp (if ur getting the type r)

u know what i mean? thats what im doing, im saving for a b18c. i could turbo my D but i dont want to start peaking horsepower at 200. i'd rather start with 200 and get more..alot more

just my opinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah 200hp to the crank on some engines but u can easily get 200whp on a d series....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (sohc dis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc dis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah 200hp to the crank on some engines but u can easily get 200whp on a d series.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

For under $1500 as well.

Not to mention that there are people making over 300whp in SOHCs. Where did NerdSports finish out? I know he was around 300-350whp with a stock SOHC.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know he was around 300-350whp with a stock SOHC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont try that at home folks.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a fpr, a 255 fuel pump some bigger injectors a missing link, and a FMU! lol i actually have all for sale except the fuel pump lol but thats are what u should start with casue you can use them even if your not turbo!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (wip_customs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wip_customs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a fpr, a 255 fuel pump some bigger injectors a missing link, and a FMU! lol i actually have all for sale except the fuel pump lol but thats are what u should start with casue you can use them even if your not turbo!</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO! your a moron. a low boost D-series does not need a fuel pump. and why in the hell would you put bigger injectors with an FMU?

tune with Aem,crome,uberdata, ECT. NOT a FMU.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO! your a moron. a low boost D-series does not need a fuel pump. and why in the hell would you put bigger injectors with an FMU?

tune with Aem,crome,uberdata, ECT. NOT a FMU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was JUST about to get in there with that. Some of the worst advice I have read tonight and I have read some crappy stuff.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wip_customs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a fpr, a 255 fuel pump some bigger injectors a missing link, and a FMU! lol i actually have all for sale except the fuel pump lol but thats are what u should start with casue you can use them even if your not turbo!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What would be the functionailty of bigger injectors, FMU, missing link and a bigger fuel pump in a stock or lightly modded (i.e bolt ons) car other than to say you wasted money on alot of crap?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tommyguns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I own a 99 civic ex with a d16y8 engine......Im new to this and am wanting to put a turbo on it....right now its stock, what do i do to the engine to get ready for turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont have to do much. When I went turbo, I just changed the things that were going to be removed. For instance, I bought a new exhaust manifold gasket. New injector o rings since I was changing the injectors. Then other misc stuff like new oil and filter. You shouldnt have to do too much "prep" work. Most of it is common sense things that would eb changed anyway in due time. The only other thing I did was a compression test and I dont even think that was needed since the motor was in great shape before I had it (how much would someone want to beat on an HX anyway ) but I went ahead and did it anyway.

The only other thing you may want to consider is some ARP headbolts. I expereinced headlift when I went turbo and I have read that many turbo D owners have expereinced the same thing. Its not too exspensive, it just requires you to remove the head. More labor than cost really.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was JUST about to get in there with that. SOme of the worst advice I have read tonight and I have read some crappy stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think its on my top 10 list.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (wip_customs)

Please do not listen to this guy. The correct way to tune a turbo'd vehicle for power and reliability....do NOT include a missing link or an FMU!!!!!

Search, learn, think, learn, purchase, learn, build, learn, tune.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Search, learn, think, learn, purchase, learn, build, learn, tune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sig worthy.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sig worthy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, I'm glad you agree with me on how important knowlege is when it comes to something like forced induction.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tommyguns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I own a 99 civic ex with a d16y8 engine......Im new to this and am wanting to put a turbo on it....right now its stock, what do i do to the engine to get ready for turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might wanna throw this on over into the forced induction forum. That's a forum for only turbos/superchargers/nitrous oxide.

You can get better quality answers there.

Also, the first step to a turbo build in my opinion is asking yourself what your goals are (horsepower wise), what you have to work with (parts wise), and how much money you have to work with.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (Syndacate)

Thanks for all your opinions guys, I really appreciate it! Lets put it this way, I have a good grand, and my goal is about 225 whp. Is it possible to acheive that with a turbo, tune, and stock internals?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tommyguns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all your opinions guys, I really appreciate it! Lets put it this way, I have a good grand, and my goal is about 225 whp. Is it possible to acheive that with a turbo, tune, and stock internals?</TD></TR></TABLE>

WITH the tune? No chance.

I'd say with the grand, you can MAYBE piece together a cheap turbo kit perhaps minus the intercooler.

If you had 2k-2,500 to spend...I'd say all of that w/ the tune is about right. Remember, on top of the kit and tune...you'll need something to tune WITH. Hondata,Chrome,Neptune, etc....that will cost you close to a grand right there just for the standalone.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WITH the tune? No chance.

I'd say with the grand, you can MAYBE piece together a cheap turbo kit perhaps minus the intercooler.

If you had 2k-2,500 to spend...I'd say all of that w/ the tune is about right. Remember, on top of the kit and tune...you'll need something to tune WITH. Hondata,Chrome,Neptune, etc....that will cost you close to a grand right there just for the standalone.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you tune yourself it'll cost you around $500. $300 for a wideband, 35 for a datalogger, 15 for a chipset & 85 for a chip burner.

You can use the free version of Crome to write your maps & a program like ECUControl to datalog.

Save up around $1500 & you can put together a kit that will easily make 225whp & do the tuning.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you tune yourself it'll cost you around $500. $300 for a wideband, 35 for a datalogger, 15 for a chipset & 85 for a chip burner.

You can use the free version of Crome to write your maps & a program like ECUControl to datalog.

Save up around $1500 & you can put together a kit that will easily make 225whp & do the tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for adding the "home kit" tuner info.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM
NooB

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (slkleltlclh)

U<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slkleltlclh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say instead of turboing a d series motor..use that turbo money and get at least a b16 or save up a lil more and maybe a b18c1 or more on top of that and a b18c

just my opinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

U know a stock b18c is not gonna make 200whp..
Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before u do ne thing do a compression test
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just took my turbo off of my em1.

research is your best key.. na is best thou..

but if you choose forced induction, building up your motor is a must for turbos.
bigger injectors, fuel management like aem ems, crom, uberdata, hondata, etc.

get it properly tuned. make sure your car is in great condition before you throw in a turbo.

research, research, research.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (melnkay)

I too am planning on turboing my d series...here's what I'm planning:

Greddy combo(manifold, DP and turbo in excellent condition) 400
JRC 6" 75
HKS boost guage 25
RC 310 injectors 130
SRE IC piping from ebay 150
stealthmode oil lines for a td04/14b 85
Greddy "style" BOV 50
MBC 25
1 hr of tuning on crome pro 200(includes price of ECU getting chipped for crome)
2.5" custom mandrel bent exhaust 400
zex 59300 cam 215
zex valve springs 130
good clutch 300

that's the majority of it, so for less than 2k you can get about 225-250whp out of your motor while being every bit as reliable as a B swap and making a shitload more whp and tq.

now compare that to a typical B16A swap
Full change over 2300
replace all belts/water & oil pumps 400
that's 2700 and your only going to be making about 140whp and 110ft/lbs

LS vtec or B20 vtec are a little cheaper, but typically less reliable.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Getting ready for turbo! (melnkay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by melnkay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but if you choose forced induction, building up your motor is a must for turbos.
bigger injectors, fuel management like aem ems, crom, uberdata, hondata, etc.

get it properly tuned. make sure your car is in great condition before you throw in a turbo.

research, research, research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of your info/guidance is correct, however depending on what your goals are...building up your motor is NOT neccessary at all. You can have a perfectly reliable turbo setup on completely stock internals with a proper tune. This has been proven time and time again. You put him on the right track though, so for that!

Quick Reply: Getting ready for turbo!