Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks?

My AGX's i've had for 2 years are close to being done with and i'm in the market for new shocks. I've thought about rebuilding my kyb agx's or going with the new skunk shocks. The agx are really nice and adj but i'm not sure if the shocks are whats giving me too much body roll or my OTS GC coilovers. I've drivin a EJ1 with skunk2 slip coilovers (OTS spring rates) with skunk2 shocks (car is pretty much slammed) and it rode just the way i wanted it. The car had no body roll and the car didn't ride harsh on street roads. I talked to a guy who has skunk2 shocks with GC slip ons in the rear and skunk2 slip on coilovers in the fronts and he said it rides pretty good. Obvisiouly i will have to go with stiffer spring rates to adjust with the skunk2 shocks since i'm dropped a little over 2inches all around.

My agx's with GC's with OTS spring rates is way too soft and i get alot of body roll.
I"m thinking of going with stiffer spring rates for my Ground Controls. Im thinking 450lbs in the front and 350 in the rear???what do you guys think about the rates? the car is only a DD so i'd figured going 500lbs+ is a little too harsh for ride quality.

what would you guys recommend me doing?

*i would love the koni yellows but i can't afford them at the moment.

Modified by bmoua at 5:58 PM 6/3/2007
Old 06-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks? (bmoua)

skunk2 ftw!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks? (Phil_Eg)

I have skunk2 adjustable coilovers with skunk2 sport shocks, currently installing. I will let you know what's up.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks? (bmoua)

If the shocks aren't blown and you have an appropriate amount of springrate, you shouldn't be having too much body roll. Do you have swaybars? If so, what kind? Are your bushings okay? Are you sure? what kind of tire pressures are you running? How low do you have your coilover sleeves set?

None of the people I have met who have sleeve-type spring setups have been serious enough about performance to know the difference between good and bad handling. Get some springs with a good rate and couple them with decent shocks and a nice set of swaybars and you'll be good. If you're not autocrossing or road racing, you shouldn't be trying to dial all of the roll out of your car. No roll = Tons of slide. Neither one in extremity is safe.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Getting new shocks, should i rebuild my AGX's or go with skunk2 shocks? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the shocks aren't blown and you have an appropriate amount of springrate, you shouldn't be having too much body roll. Do you have swaybars? If so, what kind? Are your bushings okay? Are you sure? what kind of tire pressures are you running? How low do you have your coilover sleeves set?

None of the people I have met who have sleeve-type spring setups have been serious enough about performance to know the difference between good and bad handling. Get some springs with a good rate and couple them with decent shocks and a nice set of swaybars and you'll be good. If you're not autocrossing or road racing, you shouldn't be trying to dial all of the roll out of your car. No roll = Tons of slide. Neither one in extremity is safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only sway bars i have is the stock 22mm front sway for the all 96-00 civic ex's. I do have a rear upper strut bar. Tire pressure is at 35psi all around and i'm dropped a little over 2 inches. I'm not sure about the fronts but for the rears i have a good 10 or so threads left. Fronts should be a little less. Tires are 205/50/15 es100's with plenty of tread left.

i was just thinking of going a little stiffer, the car is a DD but going through turns i get alot of body roll. Even when the shocks were pretty new, set 2 in the front and 2 in the rear, body roll was still there. i"m not looking for something that has no body roll what so ever but just something that will give me less body roll.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM

how much would the rebuild cost? how much for the skunk2's?