Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gas gauge way below E , won't move...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge way below E , won't move...

so i just put a new set up in my hatch.... EG.... i have a integra dash conversion with the integra dash harness.... gas gauge worked fine before with a gsr cluster..

while the car was sitting awaiting its new swap i swapped in a ITR gauge cluster, go to start my new set up and the gas gauge is below E... right after i had just syphoned out all the old gas and put in 9 gallons of gas...

thought it might be the new cluster so i picked up a gsr cluster and still not working... the gsr cluster was sitting about 1/4 tank and when i started up the car it slowly dropped below E also...

WHAT THE HELL......... anyone have ideas
Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gas gauge way below E , won't move... (tannerLSt)

Sending unit possibly? Wierd ground issue too?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: Gas gauge way below E , won't move... (z6hatchboy)

i don't know, i'm asking you guys.... lol

this **** sucks..... my car sits for 6-7 months while building a motor... and my ignition switch went bad, my dizzy went bad... and now this bullshit!!!!!

anyone know how to test the sending unit or floater?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gas gauge way below E , won't move... (tannerLSt)

My guess is the sending unit then since its dropping the clusters below e.
*edit* theres supposed to be a way to test it, by having te whole unit out, using a multi-meter and moving the float and you should see the voltage change. What the voltages should be im unsure of though.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

anyone else?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

well i thought i may have messed up my floater, cause i opened up where your fuel pump goes and used a syphon pump to get the old gas out, but i pulled out the floater and it looks fine..

Old 01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

it's very similar to my problem now too, except that when the tank is empty it still reads halfway.

I took the fuel sensor out on my car and it seemed to look fine, and it reads correctly with a volt meter.

any help or input would be nice because i tried filling gas at the gas station and it always cut me off at $25 or so
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

ya we need HELP.... i don't want to pay someone to fix this ****!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

no help?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

anyone anyone
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you did the conversion you probably plugged and unplugged your cluster from the harness multiple times. When i did a gsr cluster in my ek i had a similar problem except with speedo. The pins on the cluster plug are a little wierd because the way the pins contact the circuit board on the cluster is by pressing against them. If you look at the plug you can see the pins go into the plug and then the each pin has a part that sticks up. If they get bent down then they will not contact the circuit board and the cluster won't get the signal from the wire. All you have to do is pry up a little on the pin so it gets contact.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (killercannible)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killercannible &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you did the conversion you probably plugged and unplugged your cluster from the harness multiple times. When i did a gsr cluster in my ek i had a similar problem except with speedo. The pins on the cluster plug are a little wierd because the way the pins contact the circuit board on the cluster is by pressing against them. If you look at the plug you can see the pins go into the plug and then the each pin has a part that sticks up. If they get bent down then they will not contact the circuit board and the cluster won't get the signal from the wire. All you have to do is pry up a little on the pin so it gets contact. </TD></TR></TABLE>
so does anyone know WHICH wire goes to the gas gauge?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so does anyone know WHICH wire goes to the gas gauge?</TD></TR></TABLE>
figured out which wire it is... yellow/white is the gas gauge on all civic's/tegs..

turned the key on with sender out, messed with floater up and down. nothing... made sure wiring in back of cluster was kosher , even wiggled the fuel wire around a little while connector was in cluster.. nothing...

**** was fine before i pulled the motor, gas gauge worked fine... but so was the ignition(which i just had to replace cause starter wasn't cranking over, replaced and now it does) and my dizzy was fine when i pulled the motor(its now trashed)

need to get a multimeter over here again and messure resistance on the sender and see how it pans out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------