Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Young kid asking n00b questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young kid asking n00b questions

Hey guys,this is my first thread here! Anyway on other forums ive gotten yelled at for not posting an introduction so here it is.. I am turning 16 in a month(yes I know I am young!) I love to work in my grandpa's racing garage.. He has a stock car and a cobra with a crazy amount of HP... Ill post pics and specs later.. I do have my permit and Im looking to get a civic!

Ok I have 3 quick questions.. and before I ask I just wanted to say I did look for a thread on here for this but I couldnt find one so dont hate...

Ok should I get a hatchback or a coupe? After that what enigine swap should I get? And what year of car? I will be putting modifications on it like swapped enigine interior work paintjob lipkit..

I basically want this car to be something that on my way to school or on the way back I can beat some friends.. I dont know about doing any street racing stuff yet.. But I most likely will end up going to some when I have the right car and mods.. Oh and can you tell me how much the estimated price is for either car you tell me to get with the engine swap you said and the front and back bumper kit(If you recomended one)? Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hey guys Im new here..

ek coupe k20 swap all the way
Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to H-T HILS
There are tons of threads and good ppl here that can help you answer all of your questions in time. I spend most of my time reading and searching and chances are anything you could think to ask is waiting for you to find it already. Good Luck
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sumoneEK
ek coupe k20 swap all the way
Thanks! Do you know how much I could get those 2 for?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zen Chameleon
Welcome to H-T HILS
There are tons of threads and good ppl here that can help you answer all of your questions in time. I spend most of my time reading and searching and chances are anything you could think to ask is waiting for you to find it already. Good Luck
thanks! Im still searching for a thread like this! No such luck yet..
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Young kid asking n00b questions

Originally Posted by HondaIsLikeSex
what enigine swap should I get?
None, for a while. Get the car you want, and live with it for a while. You may decide that there are other things you want to do with it, rather than an engine swap. There are a lot of other things that will give you more "bang for the buck" than a swap, which is expensive. The most commonly ignored and best "bang for the buck" upgrade IMHO is getting sticky tires.

I also recommend you spend some time searching around this forum for ideas and knowledge, rather than coming in here asking questions that have been discussed here only about a bazillion times.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome, man, we could all go on and on and on... it depends on your money situation, if you have only 2-3 grand, you you could try to find a nice clean EF hatch and do a budget b18b or b20 swap. if you want vtec, save a little more. if you are a lil baller kid with 4-6 grand, you could do an EG or EK hatch with somthing fun, like a b18c1, . or coupe. your choice, i just like hatches, i wish i had one still.
point is, they sky is the limit. Hondas are like expensive legos. fun to play with, easy to build. do some research, there is more reading than one could care to do about this same decision.... have fun, stay away from euro lights, body kits, and vinyl graphics haha
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
H-T Order of Merit

thanks! Im still searching for a thread like this! No such luck yet..
You're not looking hard enough.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eg hatch ( even though i like my ek ) USe the stock z6 in it, build it and boost. This is best IMO for a beginnner ( not just for beginners though ) This gives u nice power without the hasle of actually swapping in a different series.

a K swap isnt for a novice.

BUt if your not doing it and got plenty of money. Ive always like the J Series Hatches built and boosted.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
You're not looking hard enough.
I assure you I am.. And I think I found a good deal for an ek coupe but it doesnt have the k20 in it, it has a b20 vtec turbo

here is the link is this a good deal:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1857576306.html
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont buy it, build it. at least get it it built. dont buy a built car. thats gay. you'd know nothing about the car, and you couldnt even rightfully brag about its performance...

i dont know, i just hate hearing some kids brag about a car they bought, then you ask about some specs, and you get "uhhhh, not sure, it came like that.."
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your to young to have b20v turbo or k20. I had a built h22 accord and I got into way to much trouble at around 16.
And your deffinelty not ready to do a k series swap.

Get something cheep, it will likely end up totaled any ways.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,this is my first thread here! Anyway on other forums ive gotten yelled at for not posting an introduction so here it is.. I am turning 16 in a month(yes I know I am young!) I love to work in my grandpa's racing garage.. He has a stock car and a cobra with a crazy amount of HP... Ill post pics and specs later.. I do have my permit and Im looking to get a civic!

Ok I have 3 quick questions.. and before I ask I just wanted to say I did look for a thread on here for this but I couldnt find one so dont hate...

Ok should I get a hatchback or a coupe? After that what enigine swap should I get? And what year of car? I will be putting modifications on it like swapped enigine interior work paintjob lipkit..

I basically want this car to be something that on my way to school or on the way back I can beat some friends.. I dont know about doing any street racing stuff yet.. But I most likely will end up going to some when I have the right car and mods.. Oh and can you tell me how much the estimated price is for either car you tell me to get with the engine swap you said and the front and back bumper kit(If you recomended one)? Thanks guys!

First off, welcome. There are a lot of people on here that can help you but I can't stress how important it is to use the search feature prior to starting a thread here. If you start a thread asking for a commonly questioned thing you will get flames for it and possibly get discouraged.

Probably the most important thing to look for when looking for your first civic is rust. It doesn't matter what you think you know about body work it is always hard to fix Honda cancer on the rear quarters. Also forget what you said about beating people to and from high school. When you start piling up tickets for being a total d-bag racing every other prepubescent kid in your played out econo car you won't have any money to buy the things you want.

Don't go cheap on your first set of upgrades (coilovers, headers, exhausts, etc. Etc. ). Nothing sucks more than having to buy the same part twice or thrice.

Don't buy wheels any bigger than 16". It affects ride quality and tires are more expensive the lower profile you have to go.

If you replace a part retain the stock one in the event of a failure or even just to sell/trade for other things. (headlights especially).

Always leave a solid weekend to do your modifications. This way a stuck bolt orbroken piece won't leave you stranded on a school/work night.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"If you are an inexperience driver dont look at this ad." Now on to the car 1997 black ek coupe. 410 whp 360 Tq on NEW DYNO.

^^^^ Like the guy in the ad says, don't buy this car. I kind of disagree LS-turboner about buying a built car. It is way cheaper than building one yourself. That being said, I wouldn't buy a car like that unless you really knew what you were doing so you could make sure it wasn't built terribly. Build your own car at first, it's fun and rewarding, and you learn a lot. If you want to buy a built car later when you know what's what, do it then.

If I were you I would find a clean 92-00 Civic, coupe or hatch, whatever you think looks better really. Find one with NO RUST and slowly mod it as you come up with the money. I would start with wheels and GOOD TIRES, suspension, looks. Go for a swap/more power when you know more about cars and more about driving.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps and you enjoy getting in to Hondas.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
"If you are an inexperience driver dont look at this ad." Now on to the car 1997 black ek coupe. 410 whp 360 Tq on NEW DYNO.

^^^^ Like the guy in the ad says, don't buy this car. I kind of disagree LS-turboner about buying a built car. It is way cheaper than building one yourself. That being said, I wouldn't buy a car like that unless you really knew what you were doing so you could make sure it wasn't built terribly. Build your own car at first, it's fun and rewarding, and you learn a lot. If you want to buy a built car later when you know what's what, do it then.

If I were you I would find a clean 92-00 Civic, coupe or hatch, whatever you think looks better really. Find one with NO RUST and slowly mod it as you come up with the money. I would start with wheels and GOOD TIRES, suspension, looks. Go for a swap/more power when you know more about cars and more about driving.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps and you enjoy getting in to Hondas.
Thanks everyone for the feedback! It has helped me alot! I am infact a very good driver not to toot my own horn or anything but ive driven my grandfathers cobra, and I could handle that kind of power, im not a crazy driver and would never do anything really reckless. I just need to know what could I do more with a hatch or a coupe??
Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It really doesnt matter, you can pretty much do the same to each car.
True theres some parts you can get for hatches that you cant get for coupes, but theres also things for coupes and not hatches.

Get the car you like, not what we like.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive a few cars and figure out which one you like best.

For example, most people seem to recommend hatches over coupes. Had I gone on suggestions like that I would have ended up with a car I didn't like as much.

I prefer coupes over hatches personally.

I learned this by going out and test driving cars.

After you get your car, I'd recommend you drive it for some time before you swap the engine.

Read, read, read, read, read.

If you want to be happy with your car you're going to need to learn for yourself.

I've seen far too many people mow through cars because they keep buying what other people tell them to buy or they buy what they think other people like. Then they're shocked to find out they don't like the car.

That usually results in them wasting a lot of money and dealing with a lot of hassle.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Drive a few cars and figure out which one you like best.

For example, most people seem to recommend hatches over coupes. Had I gone on suggestions like that I would have ended up with a car I didn't like as much.

I prefer coupes over hatches personally.

I learned this by going out and test driving cars.

After you get your car, I'd recommend you drive it for some time before you swap the engine.

Read, read, read, read, read.

If you want to be happy with your car you're going to need to learn for yourself.

I've seen far too many people mow through cars because they keep buying what other people tell them to buy or they buy what they think other people like. Then they're shocked to find out they don't like the car.

That usually results in them wasting a lot of money and dealing with a lot of hassle.
^^^ The last 2 replies have helped me so much! Thanks so much guys every other forum I get flamed and I dont get any information! Thanks so much I have learned so much allready!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm brand new as well to the forum... good luck with finding what you want. When you start to learn more about hondas, swaps, etc, your brain goes into overload trying to figure out what YOU want.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Get something cheep, it will likely end up totaled any ways.
that made me laugh!
like everyone said just get a car that will suit u personally. im a coupe guy so i cant see myself in a hatch but they do look nice indeed. depend on ur budget, a integra gsr is a quick car for starter. first i do with the car is put loads of security on it...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.scca.com/events.aspx?hub=3

Figure out your region, don't buy mods and go racing.

Stock civics do just fine and Autox is more technical and fun than anything you can do on the streets. Hatch would be better for this as it's lighter, but I do fine in my four door.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy my shell great project for a b-series

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2813410
Old 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guy I cant tell you how much I appreciate this.. After looking nonestop I would have to say I like the coupe better, I am going to the track and test driving it next weekend ( grandfathers friend has a k20 coupe) anyway I probably wont do any engine swaps for a little, I will just do the rims, tires, front and back bumper kit and interior( haha grandfather is hooking me up with all of that) YES!!! FOR FREE!!! and I then will get my swap
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just trying to help, get a lip kit not a body kit.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DoubleEx
just trying to help, get a lip kit not a body kit.
really I dont know I dont like the sort of box'y looking in the front.. Is the EK not boxy?

Quick Reply: Young kid asking n00b questions