Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel Filter replacement...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter replacement...?

I looked EVERYWHERE. anyone have a link to some info on replacing. Need to know how to take off. i dont want to bend metal fuel line.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (turboME)

It's easy as 1-2-3!

1. Disconnect your battery

2. Unscrew both fuel lines and loosen bracket

3. Replace old filter with new filter and connect fuel lines

Oh, make sure you pressurize the fuel system a few times to fill the new filter up with fuel before you start the car.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (EJ1 wilcox)

also depresurise the fuel lines b4 loosening the bolts. Do this by unscrewing the cap where you put the gas in
Old 07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (Cypher0117)

getting those bolts loose is a lot easier if you have the right "flare nut" wrenches. I got a metric combo set that has a different size on each end of the wrench. Don't forget to use the new crush washers and put them back accordingly. Also take the lines off before you unbolt the bracket.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (Kista20)

FYI if you use good gas and your car in mechanically sound you should NEVER have to replace the filter. Tons of folks will disagree wtih me, but as a professional technician I can tell you that its the truth. The fuel system is 100% sealed from the outside environment. Unless there is something shitty in the gas then it will never clog.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (xEnderx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI if you use good gas and your car in mechanically sound you should NEVER have to replace the filter. Tons of folks will disagree wtih me, but as a professional technician I can tell you that its the truth. The fuel system is 100% sealed from the outside environment. Unless there is something shitty in the gas then it will never clog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed

I replaced mine at 100k just for ***** and giggles and when I took it apart it looked fine.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (Cypher0117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also depresurise the fuel lines b4 loosening the bolts. Do this by unscrewing the cap where you put the gas in</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does not work.

Remove the fuel pump relay and start the car, let it run until it dies. Then there will be no fuel poured all over the place.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI if you use good gas and your car in mechanically sound you should NEVER have to replace the filter. Tons of folks will disagree wtih me, but as a professional technician I can tell you that its the truth. The fuel system is 100% sealed from the outside environment. Unless there is something shitty in the gas then it will never clog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong.

What about the fuel tank neck? At the very top of it is a little metal flap that opens when you push the fuel pump nozzle into it. This opens the fuel system to the outside world. Although it may not seem like much, over time it causes a build up of dirt and other things in the bottom of the tank which are then sucked into the fuel system when you run low on gas (below 1/4 tank).

What about when a fuel pump goes bad? Is not a tank open to the air at that time?

Where do you work? Are you certified?

I work at Courtesy Lincoln Mercury in Lansing Michigan. I do driveability there and am ASE certified in all areas of a gasoline vehicle except for automatic transmissions, which I will be testing for this fall along with advanced automobile engine performance.

Also answer me this. Where do you find completely clean gasoline? Because I can't seem to figure out how you are able to do it. Seems to me like somewhere between the refinery, the pipelines, the pickup station, the tanker trucks, and then finaly the 40 year old in ground tank at the gas station that maybe some dirt might get into it.

Now part of what you siad is true, a fuel filter will hardly ever clog. But they do get dirty, and they do begin to restrict flow. So the fact that you say a fuel filter should last the life of the car is not very accurate.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrong.

What about the fuel tank neck? At the very top of it is a little metal flap that opens when you push the fuel pump nozzle into it. This opens the fuel system to the outside world. Although it may not seem like much, over time it causes a build up of dirt and other things in the bottom of the tank which are then sucked into the fuel system when you run low on gas (below 1/4 tank).

What about when a fuel pump goes bad? Is not a tank open to the air at that time?

I work at Courtesy Lincoln Mercury in Lansing Michigan. I do driveability there and am ASE certified in all areas of a gasoline vehicle except for automatic transmissions, which I will be testing for this fall along with advanced automobile engine performance.

Also answer me this. Where do you find completely clean gasoline? Because I can't seem to figure out how you are able to do it. Seems to me like somewhere between the refinery, the pipelines, the pickup station, the tanker trucks, and then finaly the 40 year old in ground tank at the gas station that maybe some dirt might get into it.

Now part of what you siad is true, a fuel filter will hardly ever clog. But they do get dirty, and they do begin to restrict flow. So the fact that you say a fuel filter should last the life of the car is not very accurate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also am a certified technician.....and I work for Volvo Cars North America. I'm not just talking out my *** homie.

Buying gas from reputable companies and from stations that keep all their cert's on display (like they are required to by law) is a DAMN fine way to make sure your gas is clean. I've still got the original fuel filter on my car and its been through 2 B series swaps. No problems as of yet. As far as my training has tuaght me, and my experience (so far) in the feild I will stand by what I say.

Of course delaerships will ALWAYS try to sell you a filter and install becuase it makes them money, but realistically you don't nee dto do it if you tkae care of your fuel system. Same with injector cleaner.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've replaced mine twice in the 5 yrs I've had it. It's a replacable item so I just replace it because it's inexpensive, doesn't take long at all to swap out and it's peace of mind. Now the ones for our cars are painted on the outside but the one for my truck just has a zinc coating and I replaced it not too long ago and it had rust all over the outside so I can only immagine what it was like on the inside. It was a purolator so I know it's been changed at least once in it's life. Also some vehicles have plastic tanks and others have steel. The steel ones will rust over time and that fuel filter stops it from going in and clogging up your injectors so that is a very good reason to keep your fuel filter changed, also if it's clogged up from that crap and you replace it chances are some of it was still left in there so it's a good idea to actually change it again after awhile.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also am a certified technician.....and I work for Volvo Cars North America. I'm not just talking out my *** homie.

Buying gas from reputable companies and from stations that keep all their cert's on display (like they are required to by law) is a DAMN fine way to make sure your gas is clean. I've still got the original fuel filter on my car and its been through 2 B series swaps. No problems as of yet. As far as my training has tuaght me, and my experience (so far) in the feild I will stand by what I say.

Of course delaerships will ALWAYS try to sell you a filter and install becuase it makes them money, but realistically you don't nee dto do it if you tkae care of your fuel system. Same with injector cleaner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

IF you take care of your fuel system it prolongs the life of the wearable parts. But I just don't see a fuel filter lasting for 900k. Do you? Yea some dealerships do try to sell un-needed parts. But there are also alot of dealers that don't. The one I work at for example, the tech decides if we should attempt to sell the part. And I don't know about you but I'm not all about screwing people out of their money, even if it makes a wuick buck now where will that person go next time? Probably not to me.

It's like saying that all engines last forever. Some engines will last longer than others but what it boils down to is the way you drive, and how well you take care of your car. But even if you are religious about taking care of your engine and you don't beat on it at all, one day it is going to take a ****. It kinda sucks to say that but that is what wearable parts do, they wear.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick, just that fact that a lot of dumb 16 year old kids come on here and say "I'm a tech, I know everything" just because they started shop class in high school today.

To finding another real tech on honda tech.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrong.

Now part of what you siad is true, a fuel filter will hardly ever clog. But they do get dirty, and they do begin to restrict flow. So the fact that you say a fuel filter should last the life of the car is not very accurate.</TD></TR></TABLE>id have to say owned
Old 07-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (Hapexamendios)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hapexamendios &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id have to say owned </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not at all....he works for an American car shop, I work for a European company. The training programs are different. Notice that I did agree that dealerships will try to sell you a filter R&R, but its not REALLY needed IF you take care of your car. If you are in teh technician trade then you know how many folks HONESTLY take care of their car.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I

Didn't mean to sound like a dick, just that fact that a lot of dumb 16 year old kids come on here and say "I'm a tech, I know everything" just because they started shop class in high school today.

To finding another real tech on honda tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No worries bro....I get fed up with noob *** kids as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (Hapexamendios)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hapexamendios &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id have to say owned </TD></TR></TABLE>

Go die.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you are in teh technician trade then you know how many folks HONESTLY take care of their car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say about 1 in every 100.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Absolutley correct. A fuel filter should NEVER have to be replaced unless the driver uses poor gas.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Absolutley correct. A fuel filter should NEVER have to be replaced unless the driver uses poor gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. Honda recommends changing your filter based on low fuel pressure readings. Too much trouble for the average joe to set up a series of gauges just to see if the filter should be changed. It's just easier to change them on a regular basis like any other preventive maintenance item. I change mine every 15-30k miles to be safe.

In the real world, there are going to be contaminants from one source or another in the fuel system.

sorry.. you didn't look hard enough... on an integra, but it's the same...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=374586
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (kkim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not true. Honda recommends changing your filter based on low fuel pressure readings. Too much trouble for the average joe to set up a series of gauges just to see if the filter should be changed. It's just easier to change them on a regular basis like any other preventive maintenance item. I change mine every 15-30k miles to be safe.

In the real world, there are going to be contaminants from one source or another in the fuel system.

sorry.. you didn't look hard enough... on an integra, but it's the same...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=374586
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is exactly the same filter as mine and thanks for posting that up. I don't need to know how but turboME could, and also there will always be someone else that can use it
Old 07-27-2005, 06:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true. Honda recommends changing your filter based on low fuel pressure readings. Too much trouble for the average joe to set up a series of gauges just to see if the filter should be changed. It's just easier to change them on a regular basis like any other preventive maintenance item. I change mine every 15-30k miles to be safe.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not saying that it is BAD to replace your FF....just that it REALLY isn't needed IF you take care of your automobile. Of course the manufacturer reccomends that you change them....they reccomend all kinds of silly **** that isn't needed. Its a personal call if you change it on a regular basis. Its damn sure not goign to hurt the car, but its not an issue like oil filters. If it gives you peace of mind to change it then by all means do so....I'm confident in my gas station becuase I've used the SAME one EVERY time I fill up since I did my last motor swap.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm confident in my gas station becuase I've used the SAME one EVERY time I fill up since I did my last motor swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is just one source of potential contaminents. When's the last time you checked the inside of your gas tank for rust? or water condensation from sitting too long? or dirt falling in when you put the nozzle in the filler? or heaven forbid... what if you move and have to buy gas from another station?

Not trying to be a wise ***, but like I said, in a real world, crap is gonna get into your fuel system, one way or another... if not, why bother with a filter in the first place?

And Honda does not have a schedule for changing the filter, which I find odd. If they are trying to sell you stuff, wouldn't they make it part of the maintenance schedule??? but they don't. maybe something to do with the annual cost of maintenance figure that drives sales up when that figure is low perhaps?

And I say it's bad if you don't replace your filter or at least do the testing Honda recommends to check it. Me... I'd rather just change it and have the peace of mind that I'm getting the proper fuel pressure.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 PM

I check my fuel pressure every month, I live in AZ (no rust), and crap really doesn't get into your fuel system if you take care of it.

I'm not goign to argue about this...its really just a personal choice. If you like replacing the filter then do it. From a PROFESSIONAL standpoint I will tell you that it isn't as much of an issue as people seem to think. Thats not me taling out of my ***, thats me telling you a fact. Whether you beleive it, agree with it, or follow it really makes no difference to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda OEM fuel filter is like 16 bucks, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't change them out from time to time...like down here in FL we had the hurricanes, they are running the gas tanks DRY, then filling them, DRY, filling them, **** is bound to get stirred up in there, they are like 20-30 years old. I guess its just piece of mind, but I don't feel that gas is really clean in most circumstances, eventually somewhere down the line you will get some Sh*** stuff. just my .02 wether its worth anything or not I don't know
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter replacement...? (dmxsoulja3)

It's something that is supposed to filter out the bad stuff in gasoline even if that stuff is tiny particles not visible to the eye. Why not change it? I mean if gasoline was really that clean then why would automobiles have the fuel filter in the first place?